General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #31  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum38 View Post
I wish there was a show where they took some slightly (70 pounds and less) overweight people and turned them into fit and trim people. I would love to see the workouts, diets etc. Ranch life is wonderful, but we all deal real life issues; kids, work, husbands/wives etc....I would find it inspirational if 'real' people with 'real' lives were to be the 'cast' members.

I could relate to it, and learn from it.
I don't know if you can get this show in the US (I think I heard some people say they could) but there is a Canadian show called "X-Weighted". They follow the wieghtloss journey of a different person each week, over a period of six months. Many, if not most, are around 70 pounds (or less) overweight. They don't go to a ranch and compete: they stay at home, go to work, and contend with kids and marriages and relationships. A trainer teaches them about exercise and sometimes there is a nutritionist to teach them about healthy foods. At the end of six months, at the final weigh-in, some lose an amount some contestants on TBL lose in one week or even less. Some, however, lose a lot and the change is dramatic.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #32  
Blessed!

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'9

I'm not a fan either. No one should push themselves to exercise until they puke. The contestants got themselves to where they are because of extreme behaviors. Now, they diet and exercise to the extreme. It's not changing a lifestyle, it's simply refocusing unhealthy behaviors into different avenues. Sure, weight loss is a good thing, but as many people have already mentioned, doing it in a controlled and steady way would be much better for the contestants both physically and emotionally. The only thing that would suffer would be the ratings.
shellsbrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #33  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Which channel?

Last edited by Sum38; 01-07-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: forgot the quote
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #34  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

There was a terrific show on Lifetime called Diet Tribe where friends worked on diet and exercise together while they continued to live their real lives. Absolutely wonderful show and I think you may still be able to see the last season on line. I don't see any advertisements for a new season though.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #35  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

I've never really watched it I've seen 1 or 2 eps. I tried watching last season but then I moved where I didn't have cable... I personally hate reality tv period. The only show I really watch are Vampire Diaries (yes I like teen shows) But I fully agree with what someone has said I'd rather watch a well acted show then a reality one. Someones they are good, the weightloss shows if you have lack of motivation or feel you can't do something. It's good to tune into some thing once in a while. That's just me. Also I personally love Jillian, tough love and all but that's just me I'd rather have someone screaming in my face then cheering me on in some cheerleader tone going YOU CAN DO IT! but then again that's me, and how I've placed my mentallity to be. I'm trying to switch it, but it's not easily to switch when it's something you've drilled in your head for years.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #36  
Wrap dress addicted

S/C/G: 185/185/166

Height: 5'5 -- that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I say this as someone who responds really well to Jillian's training style (have completed Shred twice and have some of her other DVDs) ...

... the fact that so many former contestants have had serious regains makes me think it's not healthy or realistic. And the lengths they go to aren't setting them up for success in the real world.

You all seem strong minded, which is why you're all succeeding. But there, every decision is made for the contestants -- so what do they do when loosed in the wild? Must be super difficult.
NYGiantsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #37  
Suicide Wing Winner

S/C/G: 135/98/105

Height: 5'5"

I usually only watch the weight-ins, that’s pretty much the only part of the show I find interesting. It’s amazing to see how much these people can lose in a week (or 10-14days). It gives me hope that if I really did exercise for 4-6 hours a day and eat very little, I could be at my goal weight in like a week. I’ll probably never do that, but it’s nice knowing that it’s possible to lose weight really really fast if you’re that dedicated.
Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #38  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

I don't hate the show but I don't watch it either. I saw a couple episodes since I changed my eating and workout habits and was horrified. I was trying to figure out how they were losing so much in a week every week. I watch NCIS, CSI Miami and CSI. With a two year old...I watch a lot of Backyardigans and Super Why...those are really good shows, they are actually teaching the kids not to act like adults on the reality shows.

But I hate "reality" shows period. The competition of it all is crazy. I really hate the ones with all the women living in a house competing to get one man...REALLY!! Even at my heaviest I was like there is no way in the world I would be in a house with a bunch of women and we all are kissing the same man and he's rubbing and touching everyone...eeewwww. How desperate? Okay let me stop before I truly get whisked away on that tangent.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #39  

the contestants I've seen have kept off a lot of the weight. Lets face it, any program has a pretty high regain ratio. Even something like weight watchers.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #40  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
... the fact that so many former contestants have had serious regains makes me think it's not healthy or realistic. And the lengths they go to aren't setting them up for success in the real world.
Biggest Loser has about a 50% rate of contestants regaining some significant portion of weight. Which is a lot, granted. But it's a lot better than the average regain rate for weight loss in general (which estimates place at 80-90%).

I have issues with the show in general, but the statistics in this case indicate that the BL is better at producing long-term weight loss without significant weight regain than most other diet plans.

One British study found that after 5 years, only 50% of people even maintain 5% of their original weight lost on Weight Watchers. I can only name a few BL contestants (2 or 3?) who have not maintained at least 5% of what they took off.

Quote:
Weight-loss maintenance after successful completion of a commercial weight-loss program was assessed in 699 lifetime members of the Weight Watchers program. One, two and five years after successful completion of the program, 79.8%, 71.0% and 50% of participants maintained at least 5% of their weight loss. These findings provide further evidence that maintenance of weight loss for those who successfully lose weight is more beneficial than data from clinical populations suggest.

Last edited by mandalinn82; 01-07-2011 at 06:21 PM.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #41  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Biggest Loser has about a 50% rate of contestants regaining some significant portion of weight. Which is a lot, granted. But it's a lot better than the average regain rate for weight loss in general (which estimates place at 80-90%).

I have issues with the show in general, but the statistics in this case indicate that the BL is better at producing long-term weight loss without significant weight regain than most other diet plans.
thanks, you said it so much better than I did

now can you say something about it being a tv show and they are all designed to make money
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #42  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

I used to watch the show, but agree, the show is horrible. It is all about "lets humiliate the fat people for entertainment" I swear, last season I just about lost it and wrote in a nasty letter to the producers where Jullian was waving a piece of meat in front of a contestants face while he was doing leg presses and yelling at him. I was ticked for the man. She is ridiculous. And I agree with the others that they can weigh the contestants appropriately clothed. They just want to shame people into losing weight, on a routine that cannot possibility be kept up.

I could go on forever......
ckatgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #43  

i just see it as a game. if it wasn't for a money prize as such, not as many people would want to get up in the skimpy clothes in front of everybody. although, i've seen plenty more skin at the beach and i didn't see bones sticking out under it, lol. i dont see BL as *the* method to lose weight. i think after the first season or so that they saw people gaining after going back home so then they put in a month or so of having to live at home during the show. so i think the show does intend to show some of the issues about losing weight, but i don't think their main intention is to show average people how to lose weight. average people don't live at the ranch and they know that. the show's main goal is the same as the other shows, to make money.
thinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #44  

i like jillian because she gets into the reasons why people don't want to exercise, etc. on her other show this past summer, she showed families how to work together and she got into how they really related to each other and helped them work out some problems and start to get more healthy.
thinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #45  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum38 View Post
Which channel?
Not sure. It comes on Slice in Canada, also various Global stations. It could be Discovery Health in the U.S. You may be able to view it here:

http://xweighted.ca/
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote