New show called HEAVY

• What do you think about shows like this?
  • What's it about?
  • Well from the looks of it the show is documenting some heavy people. I'm not sure if it's even about them losing weight or the fact they are heavy or what. I think I might watch the first episode just to get the idea of what it's about. I just wonder about the people they are highlighting. I wonder if it helps them or hurts them, I mean are they helping them or exploiting them? Hopefully the former.
  • I haven't seen it, but I've seen trailers. It looks like it's a more realistic depiction of the struggles that heavy people go through with their weight than the "Biggest Loser" or similar borderline-rigged shows. I'd guess, then, that it will be higher quality but shorter-lived, because audiences will find it too depressing. Just a guess, from a cynic.

//b. strong
  • I'm really looking forward to the show. I've seen another thread about it here on 3FC and a couple of the people who took part in the show are members here. Will try and find that thread :P

Edit-found it!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...how-heavy.html
  • there seems to be a whole rash of weightloss related shows on this winter.
  • Quote: there seems to be a whole rash of weightloss related shows on this winter.
    Because everyone's New Years resolution is usually to lose weight/get in shape and people normally gain weight over Christmas.

I think this show looks interesting so I'll definitely watch it
  • I dont know, usually shows like this makes most of the heavy people seem like miserable sobs. they don't focus on folks that already feel good about themselves and decide to lose weightchange eating habits. I wonder if positive attitudes are bad for ratings. it also can help demonize obesity (i'm no doctor, but i'm sure it doesn't need help).

i get little satisfaction from certain reality shows. case in point, that horders show. as a veiwer, each episode is stretched out and instead of bringing to light hoarders, what causes people to hoard, and treatment. instead undue focus is on the squalor that the people live in. I can't help but wonder if this will be the same.