General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #1  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Question NoSalt? Or another salt substitute?

So, I generally eat low sodium (I feel way better that way), but sometimes I want to do something that tastes salty without actually being really salty. So, I was wondering if anyone has any good salt substitutes that can be found at a local Walmart (which is where I shop, as I'm poor)?

I wouldn't eat this all the time, like on top of my regular foods, just if I want "salty" popcorn (I do no butter popcorn, too) or something.

I've seen NoSalt, but I know nothing about it. Is that a good substitute?

And if not, is there a good one out there?

I'm pretty clueless about non-salts, as I've never used one. Any other information I should know?
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:01 AM   #2  

I prefer sweet than salt
rosababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:40 AM   #3  

We use NoSalt, though we do keep salt around as well.

NoSalt works well when you're looking to bring out the flavors in a meal, not when you're looking for a salty taste. In my experience, NoSalt by itself is a bit bitter, like nibbling on banana peel fibers (potassium).

So, it works as a great replacement in recipes, so long as you're not looking for a particularly salty taste...does that make sense? I'll tell you what, though - when used in recipes where salt is an accent (cooking meat, pretty much any baking, etc) we haven't missed the salt at all...just when we're looking for salty flavor (making cheese or baked fries, for example) it is a bit lacking.

Since you're looking for that great salty flavor, you'll probably want to look elsewhere. At least, that's my experience with NoSalt specifically.

Might want to take a look at the Mrs. Dash assortment of flavors...they may have something that suits your needs.
ArcticFrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

I have yet to find a salt substitute that tastes anything like salt to me. However, I have become a pepper addict....totally different taste but equally addictive apparently...
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote