Help with gift suggestion please?

• A close friend lost his job going on 2 years now due to the economy, he now is selling his home and moving in with a sibling, 6 states over. He used up his savings trying to stay afloat. His parents sent him a plane ticket to fly home for the holidays being he couldn't afford a flight himself. I want to get him something for Christmas, but I don't know what to get. I feel terrible that no job opportunities have arisen for him & I want to make him feel worthy, of a nice gift. For his birthday I sent him a subway gift card, being he is health conscience but I do not want to re-peat that gift. Any suggestions, I am all ears? If you were outta work what would you like to receive? - besides CASH. I want the gift to have meaning... Help?
  • The very first question is: How much are you wanting to spend???

Gas cards, if he's driving, are fantastic. Depending on where you live, maybe a metro card so he can get to job interviews.

Maybe you can find a nice key ring, or money clip, or business card holder for him. Something small (sterling silver, maybe?) that will make him feel a little more accomplished and put together as he's trying to get back on his feet. A little good luck charm.

Food gift cards are GREAT. As a VERY poor college student, I'm REALLY relying on food gift cards I've been given in the past as money is REALLY REALLY LOW right now. There's nothing like seeing 4 dollars in the bank, but a 20 dollar gift card in your wallet to get you through.

I can definitely come up with more ideas. But are these along the path you're thinking?
  • wow that is really tough. since he's in transition it seems like a gift of an item would be a burden, since he'd have to immediately decide whether or not to take it with him... it seems like a consumable gift would be best.
    what about something along the lines of a gift card to get a haircut so he can feel and look his best for interviews? some nice clothes? or even just a dinner out together to spend some time together before he leaves?
  • If I were out of work I'd love a gift card. My brother is out of work, living with our folks and I always get him gift cards. I've given him Starbucks cards, TJMaxx cards, Walmart cards, even Mastercard gift cards.

I can't imagine not having a dime to myself and depending on my folks again for room and board. It's my hope that when I give him a gift card he can get himself a treat or take care of a basic need (like buying socks or a nice shirt for an interview) without asking my folks for money.

Plus, for your friend, it travels easily. One less thing to pack, just slip it in the wallet.
  • Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I planned to make him his favorite meals while he is here, so FOOD will be consumed in his much empty tank. Plus I just found a small 5 inch adorable christmas tree with red christmas balls on it & I decided to roll BILLS of all sizes & increments & stick them throughout the branches & give him his very own MONEY TREE! I am sure this will put a SMILE on his face, he sure has been depressed! This way due to him traveling, he can just take the cash off and leave the tree behind. I am sure his relies will be giving him plenty of gift cards, books, movies etc. Thanks again, Wendalyn
  • That is a great idea with the tree and dollar bills.

I recalled what a blogger friend of mine used to do that I thought was SO cool.

I cant remember what he called it, but he would buy a small inexpensive treasure box and fill it with gold coins (as in real money, you can buy for face value of normal denominations).

The coins are $1, and he would give $100 worth of them arranged in a little treasure box and usually some groceries too. It made such an impact on the families that received it without being as boring as paper money, but as useful.
  • A gift card from WalMart or Target is good as you buy food or other necissities with it such as clothes, toiletries, etc.
  • EVIL with the guy's situation it is obvious that $$$ is probably what is needed most....

my only concern is that in his situation the $$$ tree (although I think it is a great idea!) may "feel" more like chairty than gift cards that can be used for basics like food and clothing if needed.

But you know him well so I trust your decision...lol...

just thought I would trow that out there....

Be Good...and EVIL...wink
  • Hey xyt, that treasure box sounds kewl!

Thanks Bargoo- yup I agree on the necessity card, one can't live without BUTT WIPE!

Hey EZ, nah HE won't be thinkin charity case, he will be thinking GOSH Wend- you ALWAYS know how to put a SMILE on my face & make things somewhat better for me!!!!! He has mentioned it several times in the past 2 years, if only HE had a money tree, so I think this will be the "perfect prezie" for him! I know he will be FOREVER grateful, we are real TIGHT! By the way no worries, Iza always Good & Evil Happy Holidays to you & yours EZ...