Any advice for having your house for sale?

• Were putting our house up for sale the first of the year. I have been scrubbing,cleaning and organizing for months now. My DH and I have made a list of things to have completed before we list it. The list has 25 items on it! Anyway, does anyone here have any advice for me? We are relocating to a new county. My DH has to find a job there too. And find a new house there. Our thinking is job should come first. I guess. It's kinda like which comes first? Our thinking is to: 1) find the job 2) sell our house 3) find and buy new house.
    Has anyone been through this before? Any advice would be appreciated. I guess while my house is on the market it will have to be sparkly clean all the time? Any stories out there? Please no scary ones
  • Quote: Were putting our house up for sale the first of the year. I have been scrubbing,cleaning and organizing for months now. My DH and I have made a list of things to have completed before we list it. The list has 25 items on it! Anyway, does anyone here have any advice for me? We are relocating to a new county. My DH has to find a job there too. And find a new house there. Our thinking is job should come first. I guess. It's kinda like which comes first? Our thinking is to: 1) find the job 2) sell our house 3) find and buy new house.
    Has anyone been through this before? Any advice would be appreciated. I guess while my house is on the market it will have to be sparkly clean all the time? Any stories out there? Please no scary ones
    Get a storage unit and get everything out of the house that you don't need. You want it to look PERFECT at all times. That means staging it and yes, keeping it spotless every single moment of every single day. NO clutter whatsoever. Every thing that needs to be repaired, needs to be repaired. Outside as well as inside must be perfect.

As far as the order of events. It all depends on how far away this new county is. Would a new job be driveable from your current home? Then find the job, sell the house, find new house. If it's not commutable, then sell house, find temp housing, find job, find house. Are you sure you can even get a new mortgage, because the banking industry has really been cracked down on by the government and mortgages are not as easy to get as they used to be. I would highly recommend you find a banker to work with that can answer that question. Because that is paramount.

Be realistic and know that your house is not going to sell overnite. We just relocated about 15 months ago, but our house was on the market for 18 months, with no offer. We ended up renting the house out and purchasing a new one. However, if we were to do that now, we would not be able to qualify for the new mortgage because of the new regulations. So that is why I say that is paramount, to find that out first.

Good luck! I hope this helped even a little bit.
  • Cheryl thank you for your advice. This is not easy is it?
    We own our home now so maybe we can do this without a loan
    Maybe all the cleaning will help with the weight loss!?
    Thank you!