Australian restaurant asks patrons to sign waiver for doggy bag

• I think this is one for the WTF Category, although it's kind of old. It comes from an old story from two years ago, but it's news to me:

It seems that restaurants in Queensland, Australia are asking customers to sign indemnity forms against lawsuits for fear of improper storage and whatnot, if they ask to take leftovers home in a "doggy bag" or takeaway container,and it seems other countries have similar issues, incl. Britain and France. where takeaway bags are apparently frowned upon.

Furthermore, it seems some restaurants have policies against sharing meals, etc. Seriously WTF? I'm really tiring of just how micromanaged we are as a society, good grief.

As a dieter and someone who is into portion control and yes has used takeaway bags as they are popular here in the United States, I think this is outrageous, even if it is a bit embarrassing. The portions here are normally so large, I can't help but take leftovers home.

I'd post the link to the story, but I don't have enough posts.

Thoughts anyone?
  • Unfortunately, I can all too easily imagine someone taking the food home, leaving it too long, then suing the restaurant because they got food poisoning.

The best thing would be for restaurants to serve normal, not huge portions - at normal, not huge prices too.
  • I agree with Rosinante. I can imagine my aunt getting a tuna salad sandwich or something, taking half home, leaving it in the car for 3 hours, sticking it in the fridge and eating it the next day, getting sick, and trying to blame the restaurant. It's silly that restaurants have to go to this length to protect themselves, but that's the kind of society we've turned into- no personal responsibility, and blaming someone else for everything. Because OBVIOUSLY, the restaurant was in complete control of how the food was handled and stored after it left the premises.
  • This is actually one of the major reasons more restaurants (buffets, etc) in the US don't donate leftover cooked food to charity - the risk of getting sued for food poisoning. Also, anyone taking food from a banquet (like a wedding or party) usually is asked to sign a waiver. The food is outside of the kitchen's control, and can be contaminated or allowed to spoil - and a report of food poisoning can open up liability for the restaurant and result in loss of reputation for the restaurant.
  • Common sense is not so common.....