General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #16  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've been envying the e-readers for a while now, but I also wanted a netbook. I saw a friend's ipad and I think I'm going to save a little longer and get an ipad or something similar.

Some of our techie friends say that they're expecting a significant drop in e-reader and pad computer prices early next year, so I'm saving like mad and hoping that by my birthday (in March), I'll be able to buy one.

I do like the idea of having my computer and my e-reader in the same unit. I know the ipad is quite a bit heavier than the dedicated e-readers, but it's still amazingly light compared to what I was expecting it to be. I really like that the page can be used horizontally or vertically and in the horizontal format shows two pages at once like I read a paper book.

I also like that I can use it for writing and email, games and movies.

The downside of course is the price (so I'm really hoping the rumor is true that more affordable pad computers are coming).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #17  
Kicking the soda habit

S/C/G: 214/204/165

Height: 6'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper10 View Post

I can see that you've already done your research on ereaders, so I'll just pass along my 2 favorite free book sites. 1. http://manybooks.net -- pre-1923 out of copyright books. I prefer this site over gutenberg because it includes reviews of the books. 2. http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com/ -- this one is an update on all the free *new* titles that come up from Amazon and other sites. There are a million out there, and this site points out the new ones as they come up.
Piper - I love that 2nd website. I have never heard of it. I book marked it and I can tell it's going to be one of my faves. Thanks for the link!!

kaplods- I have been wanting an iPad too. I'm a huge fan of Apple- they are a bit overpriced and their new models come out too quickly, but they are high quality and just simply work. I have never had a problem with any iPod, my MacBook or my husband's desktop Mac. Nothing has ever died or need replaced, or crashed, despite our constant abuse. I have heard that the prices will drop (they always do), but I'm hoping the bugs will all be worked out and more Apps will be available in the next few months.
GreenTeaYum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #18  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I heavily considered an ipad prior to getting my ereader but overall, I'm glad I went with the ereader. I have a 14 inch laptop if I really really wanted to read books on a standard computer screen. I wanted something smallish and also something that was designed for easy reading.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #19  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
I ♥ my Kindle
^^ this... I adore my Kindle. I never thought I'd want to give up the feel of a book in my hands but I'm a complete convert.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:06 PM   #20  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Around here it seems that tech prices drop after Christmas (late January, early February, sometimes earlier).

There are always a few great Christmas "bargains" but most of them involve standing in line in the cold for hours before the store opens just for the chance of purchasing an item, only to learn there were only one to three available.

If you're not one of the first ten people in line, chances are you'll not get anything at the "sale" price. I hate that stores do that, especially when I see people spending all of Thanksgiving Day (around here people start lining up late Wednesday) in some store's parking lot.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:34 PM   #21  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fressca View Post
^^ this... I adore my Kindle. I never thought I'd want to give up the feel of a book in my hands but I'm a complete convert.

I totally agree. I thought I would miss "turning pages" and holding a "real" book but I don't. My Kindle is my new BFF
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote