General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default here we go again...

So, I'm a CPS worker. And a good one. A very good one. But here's the deal - we got pulled into a meeting today, led by a high ranking state official. I can't give too many specifics, but the gist is that the state is turning over the welfare of our children to a private company. This is bad for many reasons. Mainly that the company they're turning it over to has failed in three other states that have tried this, and has been shown to care more about turning a profit than protecting children. But as an aside, there are now hundreds (including myself) of people who will be let go. I just don't know what to do. I'm so frustrated and beside myself, and angry at a lot of people. This decision is not in the best interest of the state, it's not in the best interest of the community, and most of all it's not in the best interest of the kids. And now I have to start looking for another job (the private company is already "staffed" with people who have no training in the field and have made it clear they have no intention of hiring anyone who worked for the state, so that's not an option). I just....ugh. I don't know what to do. Just wanted to vent.
kathrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #2  
Kicking the soda habit

S/C/G: 214/204/165

Height: 6'0"

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to hear that. That's terrible.

May I ask what state you are from? I know Idaho has just gone through something similar. While I don't believe a private company has taken anything over, they closed a lot of offices in the area and let go a lot of CPS workers. It's sad. It seems like when the economy is bad, people need more help. More family struggles and whatnot. And cutting the experienced workers who have a relationship with their clients, just doesn't seem right.

I am actually going to school for social work at the moment and it's very discouraging to see these types of decisions being made. It makes me fear for my future career.
GreenTeaYum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:20 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Kristina -

I'm in Nebraska. And when it hit the news, whoa did it hit hard. The governor's office was flooded with emails about what an awful idea this is and by the time I had left my office I had voicemail upon voicemail from families I had been working with begging for it to not be true. We are going to see what we can do, because I know that our district court judges are very unhappy with the decision, and we're checking into some legal routes that might be taken. It's just such a horrible experience. They sat in the meeting and said things like "This is not about money, you are all so valued and amazing employees and you're doing such a good job." Okay so if it's not about money and we're all so awesome, why are there 600 people without a job now? It just doesn't make sense. Kristina, I wish I had some advice for you. PM me if you'd like or if you have any specific questions. I know that there are more opportunities out there, I just really, really loved my job. And the majority of the people I work with did too.
kathrynk is offline   Reply With Quote