General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/176/140

Height: 5'4"

Question BCP and weight. Am I the only one having cravings on the pill?

I'm curious about those on or that have been on the BCP (birth control pill)...have you noticed cravings and weight gain??

I'm not blaming my weight gain on the BCP but I think it might have contributed. Prior to me being on the pill I was a healthy weight, 130 or less. I've been on it about 6 years or so, and gained 45 pounds since.

I've been off the pill for about 4-5 weeks right now and I don't get cravings at all! It seemed like on the pill I was having cravings left and right and wanted to eat when I wasn't hungry. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this or is/has been on a pill that helped with the cravings?

We recently moved and I ran out...that's why I've been off it for a while. But, soon I'll be heading to the docs to get back on it and I thought if y'all knew of any good BCPs I'd request it! Let me know ladies!! Thanks!
Old 10-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #2  

Anyone?
Old 10-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/250/112

Height: 5'4.5

Well I'm on the depo provera jag at the minute, have been for two years, I'm not going for the next one though because in the last year I've gained 60lbs, it's absolutly awfull, birth control gives off a hormone that makes the body think it's pregnant or something along those lines, weight gain has something to do with the hormone making the brain think we need food or something along those lines so women who're on birth control are more inclined to give into unnecissary cravings and gain weight :/ I can wait for my system to get rid of all the nasty excess hormones so I can lose weight easier
Old 10-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #4  

Carly - Thanks for the info! I was on depo for a while and gained weight. It just sucks! What's the fertility awareness? I would really like to not get on the pill and figure out some other way. But, we definitely don't want kids at least for another 2 years...gotta get a house first! Let me know!

Candy - I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!! Thanks for sharing. I started noticing a couple weeks after getting off the pill (or running out rather, lol) it was easier! Good luck to you!
Old 10-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #5  

I have been on both of those...and weight gain, lol. Well, I will see if my doc can recommend something or we can try to find a pill that would work. I just am nervous to get back on it after I've been working so hard to lose weight and have had success.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #6  

Lol - I've tried depo, nuva ring, pill. I never did try the patch...Yeah, I can't wait until they have birth control for men!!! Haha. I think my husband's pretty sure that once we have two kids, as soon as I have #2, he's getting snipped, LOL. He's a character.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #7  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I didn't ready all of everyone's posts, sorry... BUT, I can say that I weighed in at 191 when I started on BCP's in 2007 and I weighed 258 when I started this in June.

I had never changed my eating habits until June, to be healthier...

Now I wonder if, when I hit the 190's, if I'll be stuck there because it was a 'normal' place for me... Hhm.

Stupid BCP's!
Old 10-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I lost weight while not on the pill, and was put on it in maintenance for PCOS treatment. For me, the pill DID cause increased cravings and desire to eat, but since I was actively maintaining and counting/planning my food, I did not gain weight. The effect went away in about a month and a half, as my body adjusted to the hormone levels.

In other words, my personal experience was that, had I eaten as much as I WANTED to due to pill-related cravings, I likely would have gained weight, but since I was monitoring my intake carefully, I stayed the same. The pill didn't slow my metabolic burn or anything similar that would cause me to gain weight while eating as I did before - it just temporarily increased cravings.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #9  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

I've been on the NuvaRing for the last three months as a trial, and I'm very happy to say that my appetite hasn't gone up and my weight loss rate hasn't gone down. Fortunately, I'm not suffering from any of the side effects it warns against.

Everyone is different though, and everyone's reactions to the different types of birth control out there are going to vary as well.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #10  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
For me, the pill DID cause increased cravings and desire to eat, but since I was actively maintaining and counting/planning my food, I did not gain weight. The effect went away in about a month and a half, as my body adjusted to the hormone levels.
My experience exactly. I took Ortho-Tricyclen (later switched to generic equivalent, Sprintec I believe which I am currently on) starting when I was 17 and I did feel a bit more cravey and hungry, but then again that was freshman year of college, home of drunk 4 am pasta bowls and munchie binges and discovering beer.

Went off for a while and went back on. Similar to quitting smoking side effects, I felt a little more prone to cravings and hunger but no marked weight gain.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #11  

I've used MANY brands of pills, Ortho Evra patch, Nuva Ring, Depo Provera shot, Paragard nonhormonal IUD, foams, films, condoms, and now tubal ligation. It scares me that people, especially adults, actually think pulling out is an effective form of birth control. I learned in my first sex ed class that there's sperm in pre-ejaculate, and it only takes one. I'm also surprised how many seem to think sterilization affects hormones, or worse, that tubal ligation is synonymous with hysterectomy.
Fertility Awareness is good for those who are absolutely dedicated to doing it right and consistently AND already have periods like clockwork. I wouldn't use it, myself. There are always condoms. Although its another method I wouldn't ever use without my own second form of protection. There IS something for everyone. I can definitely vouch that if one thing doesn't work for you, its perfectly fine to try another (with a back up method while weaning on and off).

As far as weight gain, the only one I remember gaining weight on was Depo Provera-- BUT in its defense, shortly after getting my first one (I got 2) I went from living at home, dating a personal trainer, and working out hardcore 3 days a week to moving out of state for school, dating a lazy stoner (lol), and stopping working out at all. SO.. Do with that what you will. Anyhoo, I've always said 30 lbs of fat is a million times better than 10 lbs of baby.
Closed Thread