General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #1  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

Default Job vs Relationship (kinda long :3)

Oh Boy! I'm getting into a little dilemma atm.

A Little Background: Well I am graduating this May with my bachelors, YAY!!!! And I've decided I want to teach. I think I want to teach elementary but I want to substitute teach for a little just to make sure that is what I want before getting licensed or getting a masters. ANYWAY, the bf who I live with currently (and we have been together for five years in February) will not be graduating till the following year. I cannot substitute teach or get any closer to my teaching goal here (our university town area).

So the dilemma is that if I go back to my hometown I could easily substitute teach and get started on licensor and/or a masters. My mom and sister even substituted there and my dad got his masters of education from a university there. Plus I could live with my parents, so save A LOT of money. BUT this means long distance relationship for at least a year. We did it before since we went to college before me and it as tough. I know the relationship could handle a year, but then he has to change his plans too. We were going to continue to live together next year. Then there is also the problem that after he graduates he wants to and probably will get a job on the other side of the state, not near our hometown. So if I decide to get my masters there I wouldn't leave till I'm finished. Of course I could just substitute teach for a year, or really find out how long it would take to get the masters/liscense.

SO I have to decide, luckily I have time to decide. I have told him and since its the first time I'm really bringing it up he said at this point he's just going to hope I change my mind about teaching or the plan. If I stay here another year with him I'll pretty much have an hourly job in retail, which would be upsetting for me. My dad thinks I should go back to my hometown of course. I am leaning towards going back to my hometown but I need to know my boyfriend will be alright. He always talks about how he loves the dorms, he even said last week that if he had the opportunity he would live in them. However when I brought it up it seems that he likes our situation far better than dorms. I'm not willing to abandon him if thats whats its going to be.

I really just need to know that he will be alright, he won't be angry with me, and he will be able to find somewhere to live comfortably. Anyone have advice or been through something like this?
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #2  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

A couple of thoughts, I feel it's important to get the education and career YOU want. That gives you the freedom of being self reliant/sufficient/independent, while doing what you love. Makes you a happier person in the long run.

Your bf will be fine in the dorm, the current situation is of course preferable, but he's a big boy, and you're his gf, not his Mommy.

If you stay and work the retail job, will you be able to stand the misery? Plus a year wasted towards your own education?

As far as employment/location several years down the road, after he graduates, a lot of things can change between now and then, and I wouldn't worry about that for the moment.

Getting the education made for long distance relationships for both my sons and their now wives, but they chose to all get the education first, the rest fell into place nicely.

Hang in there, these things have a way of working themselves out.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote