General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-03-2010, 08:42 AM   #1  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

Angry Need to vent

Okay so my weight loss has stalled a bit which is frustrating..see blog posts

Then my daughter wrecked the only car we have last night. First off I am thankful to God that she was not hurt and was able to maintain control of the car and get home safely (she bounced off the guard rail after swerving to avoid a cat) I am not worried about the stupid car, I am worried about her. This is her 3rd accident in 4 months and they get worse with each one. So for the moment I have put a moratorium on her using the car. It's our only car and if she wrecks it where it is not drivable I have no car to get to work.

The car is paid for and I hate to go out and finance another car because financing is the biggest rip off but I see no choice. I want her to have this car she keeps banging up and get me one where I can only blame myself if it is wrecked.

Anyhow it is just not a good morning at all and to top it off WE ARE OUT OF ORANGE JUICE (my morning coffee) UGHHH It's just not a good day so far
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

First of all I am glad your daughter is ok and I am sorry you are having a bad time.

I want to ask how old is your daughter? In my country we get our driver's license when we get 18 but I think I heard that in America you can get it as early as sixteen. Anyways when I first learnt how to drive my parents set up a no-driving-at-night rule for the first 18 months of me driving. They did the same with my brother. I am actually greatful they did so cause for me driving was a bit nerve-raking and I was not used to drive out in darkness. Can you talk to her? Maybe she is overly-nervous when she drives and this causes her to react more swiftly and spontaniously when driving resulting to minor accidents.
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #3  
Defying Gravity

Yes here in the good ole appease everyone US of A the kids can get a license at 16. In my state they have restrictions until they are 17 and then 18 they get a full license. I have taken the car away from her for going to see friends and such, she will only be able to take it to work and back. That is my first step..not sure what my second step is at this point. Thank you for responding, I am feeling a bit invisible today as I reach out for help...I need a do over
Old 08-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

Perhaps you could enroll her in another driving course? I know they have defensive driving courses for teenagers, it could be a good idea for your daughter. It seems like some of her "instincts", for lack of a better word, haven't developed fully just yet. Sorry to hear you're having such a rough morning!!
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #5  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Just adding my 2 cents... I think a defensive driving course is a great idea.

And I'm sorry you're having a bad time and are out of orange juice... I used to be addicted to it too so I have an idea of how you feel.

Last edited by Aunty Jam; 08-03-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #6  

The rule in my parent's house growing up was as follows: you get into an accident or get a speeding ticket you can not drive their vehicles until you are twenty one. The prospect of insuring six kids with bad driving records was horrific so, when I got a speeding ticket at 18 I was removed from their insurance and didn't drive their cars again until I was 21.
want2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #7  
Defying Gravity

Thank you and I think this is advise I will heed, I can't have her destroy my car it's the only one I have and I can't afford another one. Luckily the three minor accidents she has had have been minor and didn't involve insurance claims. They have become progressively worse with last night's being the biggest damage so far. I don't think I want to risk her life as she is not ready to drive yet. I will figure something out about her job and getting her there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2run View Post
The rule in my parent's house growing up was as follows: you get into an accident or get a speeding ticket you can not drive their vehicles until you are twenty one. The prospect of insuring six kids with bad driving records was horrific so, when I got a speeding ticket at 18 I was removed from their insurance and didn't drive their cars again until I was 21.

Even though I am taking the car and her privilege away I think this is a wise idea down the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthLake View Post
Perhaps you could enroll her in another driving course?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunty Jam View Post
Just adding my 2 cents... I think a defensive driving course is a great idea..
Old 08-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #8  
Defying Gravity

Yeah I told her today, no more car. She is not a happy camper. She does have a job and is saving money for a car. With what she makes per hour X #hrs she works a week, she will be about 21 by the time she can afford a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown View Post
Wow, yeah. 3 accidents in 4 months isn't just bad luck. I'd take the car, too, and suck it up and drive her where she needs (keyword: NEEDS, not wants) to go. Maybe one of those places will be a job, so she can get her own car to destroy. It's funny how people are a lot more cautious and responsible when it's their money and property on the line.

Oh, I say this as someone who purposely tried to Dukes of Hazzard her mother's car over a curb when she was 17. By the way, they don't jump like they do in the movies.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #9  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

I do hope things get better
for you. And it's good that she is okay.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #10  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

HUGS!

Maybe you can go with your kiddo a little more to see why the accidents are happening. I assume she is paying attention and no cell phone, etc. She just may need more practice...
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #11  
Defying Gravity

Things are better today. I sent her off to the first day of school and while she wasn't happy about not having the car anymore she didn't put up a fight about. I think she realizes she is not ready for the car and driving, it's that or she doesn't mind being driven around.

For me I was so gung ho for her to have driving capabilites because I LOVE to drive, I love having my own car and the open road. I hate being in the passenger seat it makes me crazy. I have to step back and realize that not everyone feels the way I do including my child and whereas i love to drive, she might actually hate it.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:46 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Aww LI2, I'm not comfortable driving, so I rarely drive. I'm sorry about the car! Glad you dd was safe though!
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote