Weight Loss Tattoo?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I have been thinking about what I want to do to celebrate my final goal. I have wanted a tattoo for years now but the only thing that has appealed to me is a purple butterfly on my lower back AKA "tramp stamp" but I don't want to get that now because of the stigma surrounding those kind of tattoos. I am looking for some ideas on a weight loss related tattoo. I think it would be amazing to celebrate my loss with a tattoo. It could be something that will always remind me of my accomplishment and that I will never go back to my higher weight. How could I do this, what could it look like. I dont just want a number or picture of a scale or something LOL.

Any ideas or have you had a tattoo related to weight loss before. I am not sue of a location either. I wouldn't want it somewhere highly visible like a wrist but I guess it could be a shoulder or stomach or something.
  • I'm planning to get a tattoo when I reach goal. I've been on and off WW since I was 12. When you reach lifetime membership there, you get a little key. I've been trying to get that key for so long. So when I get there, I'm getting a tattoo of a skeleton key on my ribs.
  • I think the butterfly is such a symbol of rebirth that it would be perfect for weight loss. Maybe you could find a small pretty butterfly to go on your ankle
    in your favorite color/s?
  • Quote: I think the butterfly is such a symbol of rebirth that it would be perfect for weight loss. Maybe you could find a small pretty butterfly to go on your ankle
    in your favorite color/s?
    I didn't think of a butterfly like that before. I guess it could work I really like the lower back but now that they are associated with "trampy" people, it has ruined it for me. I am not sure where to put it. I don't think I would like one on my limbs anywhere, it doesn't appeal to me there.
  • Quote: I didn't think of a butterfly like that before. I guess it could work I really like the lower back but now that they are associated with "trampy" people, it has ruined it for me. I am not sure where to put it. I don't think I would like one on my limbs anywhere, it doesn't appeal to me there.
    Don't worry about the stigma of tramp stamps...if you like that area and want your tattoo there, do it.

P.S. If it makes you feel better, I don't call them tramp stamps...I call them pull out targets. Bwahahahahahahaha. Okay, I doubt that makes you feel better. LOL
  • I have a tramp stamp I got it years ago to motivate me to lose weight, too bad it didn't work then. I love my tattoo, but wish I'd spent a little more time deciding what I wanted. Now I'm thinking about getting it added to as a weight loss celebration and to make it a little more femine. I like the tramp stamp location because you can decide if and when it's seen. I have a job where it probably would nor be appropriate for me to show off a tattoo do that's important to me. I like the location, stigma or not it does hurt when it's done though so be prepared. I'm a pretty big weeenie though.
  • i'm a big weenie too LOL. I have looked into this product called Dr. Numb. Its supposed to numb your skin somewhat and its designed for tattoos and needles. It about $60 for a little tube though! I will probably get some through ebay before the big day.
    I have narrowed my location down to either: lower back, right side of my back in a vertical design or my right shoulder blade. All three areas rate high on the pain scale but if I want it bad enough I am going to do it. Probably around Christmas so I have lots of time to decide
    I like something like this (not quite) but with different colors and maybe my children's names added somehow

• A tramp stamp doesn't have a stigmata, it is a trendy placement for a tattoo and the low rise jean trend highlighted them. It is like the whole tribal thing, very very trendy a few years back in the tattoo world and very overdone. I don't look at someone and say "oh, she's a tramp" when I see a lower back tattoo. I look at it and see if it is good art or not, but it is kind of run of the mill placement. If you want one, get it.

People who think it is a sign of a tramp are uneducated and moronic. Like saying all blondes put out on the first date or short skirts inspire rape. My SIL who is very shy and quiet (unlike her brother/my dh who is very boisterous and heavily tattooed) has a purple butterfly on her calf. She can hide it with pants or a long skirt, or show it off with shorter clothing. It is pretty cute.
  • Quote: i'm a big weenie too LOL. I have looked into this product called Dr. Numb. Its supposed to numb your skin somewhat and its designed for tattoos and needles. It about $60 for a little tube though! I will probably get some through ebay before the big day.
    I have narrowed my location down to either: lower back, right side of my back in a vertical design or my right shoulder blade. All three areas rate high on the pain scale but if I want it bad enough I am going to do it. Probably around Christmas so I have lots of time to decide
    I like something like this (not quite) but with different colors and maybe my children's names added somehow
    You don't need it for something small (I'm talking a 2-4 hour timeframe). You can also buy Bactine and the artist can put it in their rinse bottle to help with the pain. It helps a lot. The thing is you can numb it or even injest pills but you will bleed it out and it will hurt. The Bactine will be used over the open wound after each swipe of the paper towel, so it helps keep the pain under control.
  • Quote:
    You don't need it for something small (I'm talking a 2-4 hour timeframe).
    I don't know...my took 1/2 an hour (it's small and no color) and I thought I was going to pass out. But again, very low tolerance for pain
  • I got a tattoo to celebrate my one year maintenance anniversary. It's a Chinese proverb that means "dripping water can eat through stone." To me, it means perseverance, all the hundreds of little actions I take on a daily basis to stay thin. It's about 3.5 inches long. I got it down my spine, about 2 inches below my shirt collar (I work in corporate American so a "hidden" tattoo was a must). I still love it - after 4 years!
  • if you are worried about the whole tramp stamp thing, and i totally understand... maybe something on your shoulder? I have my recovery tattoo there and i like looking back and seeing my tattoo- he has my back. i guess that's maybe a little silly- but i like it.

just a thought on the weight loss tattoo... if i were to get one it would be for like a year of maintenance- because i know i can reach a goal... it's going to be a lot harder to maintain it. i've lost weight a million times... but how many times have i kept it off?
  • I don't really like the idea of getting a tattoo for myself because I hate pain/needles and I'm a teacher so it would have to be completely hidden, but I've been recently thinking it would be meaningful to me to get a tattoo of my starting weight... as a constant reminder of what I've accomplished. Not necessary cute and it would mean something only to me.
  • I have one on my shoulder blade, I fell asleep while getting it because it really didn't hurt at all, the needle massaged out the tension.

The ones on my ankle, calf, and thigh didn't hurt. Neither did the one on my neck, or the one on my arm.

I thought the one on my lower spine hurt a lot. Until I got ones on my child-sized wrists. The pain wasn't enough to make me cry, but it was awfully close.

Do NOT take any painkillers before you go, it will cause you to bleed more, which can ruin the design of the tattoo. Instead of spending money on something that will numb the area, drop $20 on a good tattoo balm to speed up the healing process.

Unless you're planning on a huge piece, I wouldn't ask to take a break during the session either, it does hurt more after a break because the skin is already irritated. I thought my big, burly husband was going to pass out after the 3rd break on his arm piece.

To me, tattoos are very personal. Each of mine has a particular meaning and marks a particular milestone in my life. For example, my husband bought me a new one when we got married, it's a dragon circling the symbol for order - because he brought order to my world and life. I would not be concerned that a particular area may label you, if you choose to get a tattoo it should be a design you love in the area you want it.
  • Quote: Stigma. Stigmata is a great movie, though.
    Oof, I was on my way to bed. Thanks! Hahah! I'm such a dork.