General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #1  
19Deltawifey

Default Door to door salesmen? annoyed anyone!

Okay so we moved into a good neighborhood with really nice houses but it seems as if this is what attracts these salesmen to our area. I seriously get about 2 salesmen a day and it is driving me crazy. I hate being rude but is there a way to get them to not knock on my door? I am thinking about putting up a "no soliciting" sign but I have heard that it doesn't work. But I think I will make my own sign and go in depth about what no soliciting means since some ignore the signs. Well today on this lovely Saturday we had a salesmen who informed me that he might lose his job if he can't sell this newspaper or magazine to me but honestly is that my problem?

I'm really not mean but I have 2 young kids and I really enjoy my quiet time in my house. A day or 2 ago when I was running on the treadmill the salesmen came to my house and interrupted me. My garage door was half way opened and my garage is our gym so they saw me and interrupted me. I was wondering what other people do to stop these people from coming to their house? Usually I make my husband answer the door and he gets straight to the point and says no! I have no problem with telling them no but I would like to not have them knock on my door period and thats what I'm looking to solve. Any advice is welcome
Old 05-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I have noticed since I put up a 'no soliciting' sign above my doorbell that I have reduced the number of solicitors. It doesn't eliminate it all together.

No one can force you to answer your door. I know, it's annoying to hear the doorbell ring and wonder if it's someone you know. But, it usually isn't someone you know is it?

Keep the garage closed or keep the remote next to you to shut the door if someone intrudes on your workout. Seriously, I would just smile and shut the door. Maybe, if you wanted you can call out: "Too busy right now". I wouldnt bother, but maybe it would make you feel better to say something.

Don't answer the door if you are not expecting a package or friend. If someone catches you, smile sweetly while pointing to the sign and shut the door.

You are in command of the door, not the door of you. Trust me, it works.
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #3  
19Deltawifey

Cool thank you so much for replying. I just got my 2nd solicitor today and did not answer the door even though they could probably hear me and the kids in the house. I plan on making my own sign. I haven't had to deal with solicitors for years so it was kinda hard for me to be mean but as of lately my patience is gone and I listen to what they have to say and then say no thanks.

Oops I just remembered that we had 3 sales men today and I'm sure we will have more today. My husband turned away the 1st guy trying to sell us milk.

Last edited by 19Deltawifey; 05-08-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 153/133/132

Height: 5.5

I broke down and hung a no soliciting sign above my doorbell. It has helped tremendously. I've actually only had one knock and two door knob advertisements since I hung the sign a few months ago.

I totally get how disrupting they are - I have had people stay close to an hour when I've let them get started on their speal. I've got 4 kids - there is definately no time for that!

Good luck!
greenfishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

My parents have both a front and a side door, and on both doors there is a handwritten sign that says "No Salesmen or Religious Groups" We still get the odd solicitor but it really cuts down on them.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #6  
Operator265

I work graves and have been a shift worker for years. I have a sign near my door stating as much. Where I'm from in WY, it is illegal to jack with a shift worker no matter what you're selling, religion or otherwise. Also, salesmen must have licenses proving they know the rules. It was even mentioned once on "The Andy Griffith Show" called The Green River Ordinance.

I'd put a sign up saying you are a shift worker and ringing that bell could cost you your life. In my case, it could cost the salesman his life.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #7  
19Deltawifey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator265 View Post
I'd put a sign up saying you are a shift worker and ringing that bell could cost you your life. In my case, it could cost the salesman his life.
This is hilarious
Old 05-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #8  
19Deltawifey

It's good to see that I'm not the only person who gets annoyed. I know they are trying to make money but if I really want something I will go to the store and buy it, when I'm home I just want to be left alone. I put a sign up that says " No Salesmen or Religious group" and then I wrote "We do NOT want to buy anything, Thanks" Hopefully this sign will work if not then I will point to the sign and then shut the door.

Canadian- Thanks for telling me what your parents put on their door I think putting salesmen instead of soliciting will allow the salesmen to fully understand what I mean. Sometimes they try to act as if they don't know what soliciting means, now they will know that no salesmen are allowed. We will see tomorrow if it works or not.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #9  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

Children selling band candy might not know what "soliciting" means, so "no sales" would probably get better results, you're right.

We don't get a lot of sales here, but there is a big issue with the religious people. I might do something like that myself.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovebirdsFlying View Post
Children selling band candy might not know what "soliciting" means, so "no sales" would probably get better results, you're right.
Not only that, but my sister had a solicitor get hugely offended at being reminded of the No Solicitors sign - because she was NOT a prostitute!

Last edited by JulieJ08; 05-11-2010 at 09:47 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Our neighborhood has a no solicitors policy but they still come. I've gotten to the point I just don't answer the door any longer. The religious ones are the ones that annoy me. You can't get rid of them, even at the door.

And I never let them inside the house if I do open the door.

Actually it's dangerous to open the door if you don't know the person . If I had small children at home I'd never open the door to soliciters. We've had several strong arm robberies where a person rings the door bell and then when the home owner answers the door, they just puch right on in and rob the place.

And they just may be shady people in general

http://www.ktka.com/news/2010/apr/26...us-solicitors/
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #12  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I just don't answer the door. I don't care if they know I am home or not lol
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #13  

Carly - you say you have a pyrenees puppy there...maybe you need something not so cute, like a big rabid German Shepherd!! Foaming at the mouth if possible, barking its head off and a sign in the garden like this:

Works for us LOL!
TheTigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #14  
this space for rent

S/C/G: 274/274/140

Height: 5'8"

actually pyreneeses are border dogs...its they're border and they will protect it. I would go with a sign that says "I seem lazy and relaxed, but I will run you down."
eroica27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #15  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

This came into hubby's e-mail.

Dog For Sale

Free to good home. Excellent guard dog. Owner cannot afford to feed him anymore, as there are no more drug pushers, thieves, murderers, or molesters left in the neighborhood for him to eat. Most of them knew Jethro only by his Oriental street name, Ho Lee Schitt.

LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote