General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
If people move because of happy meals, well, I don't know what that would really represent deep down.
I understand the fear of big government.
I also understand that a lot of fast food is very unhealthy for children.
I think the point of banning the toys is similar to the banning of the tobacco company giving youth centered ads and promo gifts for cigarettes---just something to NOT encourage young people to ask their parents for unhealthy food.
I would be happy with perhaps making legislation that food that is kid focused be actually HEALTHY. that is what I would focus on more than the toy issue....maybe somehow make the kid happy meal a smaller hamburger or cheeseburger---right now, it is the same size as the regular hamburger or cheese burger. Or make it a point that healthier fast food options be offered to children---more salads. I like the fact that parents can get apple wedges and milk, rather than soda and fries.
Personally, I am more concerned with meat quality than the toy issue. I think that if I have children, I would want to wait until a certain age before they can have fast food---just because of issues regarding where our meat is coming from, and the quality of it. In the meantime, I would make burgers myself out of turkey burgers or ground meat where I really know the source.
What is truely sad...the food that is served in schools. Not much better than some of these fast food joints.

As far as the toy issue...parents are the ones that need to be held accountable for what their children eat. My kids didn't get the happy meals because of the toy, usually it was a special outing on a rare occasion (now even more rare since we live about 40 miles from the closest fast food chain) not because a cool toy was offered.
And my kids don't eat school food either.
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:12 PM   #47  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrismm View Post
Lol...the toy is the healthiest thing in the meal....and they are taking out the toy? Funny stuff.
Exactly. I rarely get my kids a toy (usually if we go they split a 10 pc nugget and apples and we all 3 share 1 small fry. Much cheaper) but occasionally I do and sometimes they play with those more than any other toys they have.

I pick and choose. Right now I would get them one because they have been playing at being the dragons from HTTYD and running all over the house. That toy promotes play!

I think the law is stupid. You want to ban marketing meals with crappy nutrition to kids that is one thing, but what exactly is removing the toy going to accomplish. Nothing.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #48  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Besides....look how cute my kids look sharing a water at McD's after playing on the play structure for 90 minutes

If you want legislation that will stop me from taking my kids to McD's ban the play structures. That's what gets me there. Rainy day exercise vs. saturated fat....

Last edited by ennay; 05-02-2010 at 11:20 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 195/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

My mom and I were talking about this and she said I didn't care about the toys at all unless it was something special.
Katieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
If you want legislation that will stop me from taking my kids to McD's ban the play structures. That's what gets me there. Rainy day exercise vs. saturated fat....
Good gods I hope that is not next!!! With the healthier options and the playland, that's all some of the kids around here have to look foward to on our long bitter cold winters up here.
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:54 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 280/255/Healthy, Happy, Strong

Height: 5'7"

I don't think I have read in the thread yet that what is being proposed is no toys or promo items in kids meals that don't meet nutritional guidelines. If the fast food joints start serving healthier food to kids then they still can include the promos!

The base problem is that restaurant meals for kids (not just fast food) typically have way too many calories and junk in them. Families are eating out more and more and kids in general are getting more and more overweight. As many of us know becoming overweight as a child often leads to weight struggles throughout their life. The cases of juvenile diabetes have been increasing every year.

Sadly it isn't just restaurant food to blame, the processed junk that is being fed to school kids all over this country, some provided by the USDA is deplorable. So as the government is pointing the finger at restaurants they really need to clean up their own act!

Viva la Food Revolution!
Renwomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:10 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 318/312/210

I agree that a parent has a right to buy their kid what they want.

I also agree that when time is short, money is tight, nerves are frayed, some parents turn to fast food more often than is healthy.

I agree that the toy itself isn't an inherently bad thing.

I also agree that I am worried about the beef, and would not want my kids getting fast food until they are past a certain age (at least the hamburger options) because of my worries about where the beef is coming from, and how we get it and how it is slaughtered, etc. How many cows did that one tiny burger come from? What is being used in the meat to stop bacteria from growing? (anyone else see food inc?). Is there more breading in the chicken nugget than chicken itself?

Also, the kids want the toys because of the ads and how they are conditioned to equate the golden arches with grimace and all of that. wasn't there a study that more kids know about the mcdonald's logo versus the cross? (and no, it isn't a religious issue, just saying that impact of big companies on our kids developing minds and popular culture).

Maybe the legislation could be more focused on making food geared towards children meet certain standards. I don't care so much about the toy if the health aspect of the child's meal is meeting good guidelines. Right now, even with the apples or the low-fat milk, the burger itself is usually a bit higher in calories than many parents would approve of. Let alone the ketchup and cheese.....don't even get me started on the ketchup! I have a friend who has a lot of children in her family, and she has this huge almost industrial size of ketchup.

But maybe something could be done about the constant advertising during cartoon primetime on saturday mornings (oh, every cereal I ever loved I usually saw on tv first) or after school?

Last edited by milliondollarbbw; 05-04-2010 at 02:12 AM.
milliondollarbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 305/245/135

Height: 5'6"

milliondollarbbw, I would "fan" you if this forum had it!! You took the words out of my mouth.

It's not the toy that the issue, it's the fact that the toy is used as a lure to buy nasty fast food. Anecdotal stories that people didn't want the happy meal because of the toy are fine-- maybe you were smarter than the average kid or less manipulated by advertising. But, McDonald's wouldn't put toys in HMs unless it translated into an increased volume in business. The added bonus is building a McD's habit in the youngest consumers possible that'll be lifelong. I think it was kuchick that mentioned Hot Wheels are $1, sounds like a good alternative. Or...is it such a bad thing for a kid to eat lunch without getting a toy?
Viviane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 318/312/210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viviane View Post
milliondollarbbw, I would "fan" you if this forum had it!! You took the words out of my mouth.

It's not the toy that the issue, it's the fact that the toy is used as a lure to buy nasty fast food. Anecdotal stories that people didn't want the happy meal because of the toy are fine-- maybe you were smarter than the average kid or less manipulated by advertising. But, McDonald's wouldn't put toys in HMs unless it translated into an increased volume in business. The added bonus is building a McD's habit in the youngest consumers possible that'll be lifelong. I think it was kuchick that mentioned Hot Wheels are $1, sounds like a good alternative. Or...is it such a bad thing for a kid to eat lunch without getting a toy?
Ha! When I read the fan comment, I thought I had done something wrong! I didn't know what you meant at first.

I agree with you, and I also understand the whole nostalgia aspect. I remember fondly as a kid getting real ice cream after school....but it is more about what the memory represents than the actual food, ya know?

Toys or no toys is not an issue for me, just make the food healthier.

I mean, how many of us, adults, have that urge for a specific food? You don't want a real home made burger, you want a specific McDonald's double cheeseburger with those little onions. they are putting in brand loyalty at an early age with the toys, I feel. As an adult you don't want the toy (though I did get sucked into that whole stuffed animal craze---what were they called?), but you still want the gooey cheese.
milliondollarbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #55  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viviane View Post
milliondollarbbw.... But, McDonald's wouldn't put toys in HMs unless it translated into an increased volume in business....
What's the matter with business making $$$?...Isn't our country one of freedom of choice?...to choose good or bad as we wish...and suffer the rewards or consequences as they come?

Last edited by EZMONEY; 05-04-2010 at 06:29 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 305/245/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
What's the matter with business making $$$?...Isn't our country one of freedom of choice?...to choose good or bad as we wish...and suffer the rewards or consequences as they come?
My comment had nothing to do with capitalism or any judgment thereof. (In fact, I have been pretty careful to avoid injecting politics into the discussion so I wouldn't violate forum rules and I will continue to avoid doing so, despite your loaded question.) What I said was that, regardless of the personal stories in this thread about people not getting HMs for the toys/not liking the toys, McDonald's includes them in the meals for a very specific reason. The toys boost their bottomline. And, yes, businesses make decisions based on profit because that is their purpose.
Viviane is offline   Reply With Quote