General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #31  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Suppose our government said they were banning white bread...

since it isn't as good for us as wheat....

what then?
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 305/245/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
Suppose our government said they were banning white bread...

since it isn't as good for us as wheat....

what then?
You're comparing apples and oranges. The county isn't banning a type of food, they're essentially banning one method of marketing that food to children. The county hasn't taken any action to ban the sale of certain foods. kuchick mentioned Joe Camel's role in marketing cigarettes to kids and rightly compared it to the toys filling that same role in happy meals. The toys are used to get the kids hooked.

Look, I understand where you're coming from with the white bread example- it appears to be a slippery slope of regulation. But, just because it looks that way doesn't mean that the county shouldn't act to protect children from being targeted in this way. Fast food is arguably just as dangerous as cigarettes and alcohol and those industries are prevented from such blatant marketing to children. The question that should be asked is why it's taken so long for the fast food industry to be dealt with accordingly.
Viviane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 305/245/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Well...it could happen
And, I could inherit a million dollars, doesn't mean there's any basis in reality for it.
Viviane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:13 PM   #34  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

But what about all the people that will lose their jobs because there will no longer be a need for the happy meal toys....

do we just say too bad so sad?
Old 05-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 266/216/166

Height: 5' 1"

Kids grow up and the adult meals aren't that much better...I'm not seeing the benefit in this, the happy meal is what makes the meal happy. I would not be happy if my meal did not come with a toy and I was a kid.
bunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #36  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

Kids who never start eating at McDonalds won't want to eat there as adults. I never eat at McD's - their food is gross. If the kids need a toy with a meal, then Hot Wheels cost $1. Keep a bunch in reserve - I've done that before. And as far as anyone losing their job over no more toys - I'm pretty sure that they're children in a 3rd world country - maybe it's for the best.
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:57 AM   #37  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnythesAINT View Post
...I'm not seeing the benefit in this, the happy meal is what makes the meal happy. I would not be happy if my meal did not come with a toy and I was a kid.
Exactly...toys are fun to play with...what's the harm in having happy kids? I know that on date night if Angie gives me something to play with after our dinner I am very happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchick View Post
.... I never eat at McD's - their food is gross.....

Have you tried the double cheeseburger?...it's to die for...

And as far as anyone losing their job over no more toys - I'm pretty sure that they're children in a 3rd world country - maybe it's for the best.
The poor kids make $.30 a day and you want to take that away?.....

Last edited by EZMONEY; 05-02-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #38  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

I think it's ridiculous, personally.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 318/312/210

Quote:
Mommy I want my toy...I want my toy now!

California County bans toys from Happy Meal packs...

Not sure the kids are gonna go for this one

I can see a lot of families moving out of that county already....what parent needs that kind of pressure?

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010...ls-to-cut-fat/
If people move because of happy meals, well, I don't know what that would really represent deep down.

I understand the fear of big government.

I also understand that a lot of fast food is very unhealthy for children.

I think the point of banning the toys is similar to the banning of the tobacco company giving youth centered ads and promo gifts for cigarettes---just something to NOT encourage young people to ask their parents for unhealthy food.

I would be happy with perhaps making legislation that food that is kid focused be actually HEALTHY. that is what I would focus on more than the toy issue....maybe somehow make the kid happy meal a smaller hamburger or cheeseburger---right now, it is the same size as the regular hamburger or cheese burger. Or make it a point that healthier fast food options be offered to children---more salads. I like the fact that parents can get apple wedges and milk, rather than soda and fries.

Personally, I am more concerned with meat quality than the toy issue. I think that if I have children, I would want to wait until a certain age before they can have fast food---just because of issues regarding where our meat is coming from, and the quality of it. In the meantime, I would make burgers myself out of turkey burgers or ground meat where I really know the source.
milliondollarbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #40  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliondollarbbw View Post
....If people move because of happy meals, well, I don't know what that would really represent deep down.

I'm not sure either but I do know I could never move from my house...I have 2 In N Out Burgers within 5 miles of me...of course I go only 1-2 times a year but having that security is like having the best "binky" on the market!

I understand the fear of big government.
I am pretty sure all of us are going to feel the fear of big government real soon...in fact......I'll stop here because of our policy of no politics....
Old 05-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #41  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

Default reductio ad adsurdum

Quote:
Exactly...toys are fun to play with...what's the harm in having happy kids? I know that on date night if Angie gives me something to play with after our dinner I am very happy

The poor kids make $.30 a day and you want to take that away?.....
Please do not miscontrue my meaning, here. I'm just offering the rambling of my marbles in a gesture of supreme silliness and a little bit of the pain meds I just took.

Okay . . . so, I get it.

Have toys in meals that are tied in with movies the kids have just seen because they'll want it even more and it isn't like all the fast food corporations and the movies studios are even getting anything out of this they just want kids to be happy. Even the kids making .30, right?

Last edited by MissKoo; 05-02-2010 at 09:34 PM.
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:52 PM   #42  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKoo View Post
Please do not miscontrue my meaning, here. I'm just offering the rambling of my marbles in a gesture of supreme silliness and a little bit of the pain meds I just took.

Okay . . . so, I get it.

Have toys in meals that are tied in with movies the kids have just seen because they'll want it even more and it isn't like all the fast food corporations and the movies studios are even getting anything out of this they just want kids to be happy. Even the kids making .30, right?
All I have to say at the moment is your puppy looks just like my Benji...the dog I had many years ago
Old 05-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 346/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2

I think that taking the toy out is a good thing.. If they stopped giving toys, a lot of kids wouldn't want the food (like mine). Therefore, parents would have no reason to feed their kid such unhealthy food. My son wouldn't even mention a happy meal if it weren't for the toy.

But I just started this healthy living thing for me and my son. So we haven't had McDonalds in like 2 weeks.

Last edited by alyssarof2012; 05-02-2010 at 09:58 PM.
alyssarof2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #44  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

Hey EZ,

Very cool! Gotta love a lab! She'll be five months old this week.
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #45  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssarof2012 View Post

But I just started this healthy living thing for me and my son. So we haven't had McDonalds in like 2 weeks.
OUTSTANDING

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKoo View Post
Hey EZ,

Very cool! Gotta love a lab! She'll be five months old this week.
My Benji was given to me as a puppy by my high school girlfriend ....she was told he was part black lab and part german shepherd...he always looked like a puppy...like a minature lab if there was such a thing...even at 12 people thought he was a puppy.