Any gardeners up in here?

• Hi! I'm looking for some totally non-weight loss related advice.

For my birthday, I received some potted tulips. Someone told me that I could save the bulbs and re-plant them. The blossoms have since died; I'd like to keep the bulbs but I'm not really sure how to go about it. Do I need to trim off the dead growth? How do I do it without ruining the bulbs? I'll be moving to a new house pretty soon, but they won't be planted until at least a month from now. How can I save/preserve the tulip bulbs?

Thanks in advance for any gardening tips you can offer!
  • here is what I found in google search
    link from google search
    http://www.countryliving.com/outdoor...-potted-tulips
  • Boo!

Well, the house we're moving into has a pretty nice little garden. Hopefully I'll be able to unleash my inner green thumb, with or without tulips!
  • HI Bee I'm a landscaper I think i can help you with this since you are planning on moving dont plant them now leave them in the pot let the foliage die naturally this is the timing it is putting nutrients back into the bulb for next year. I have my tulips in pots simply because the ground critters tend to eat the bulbs, voles particularly. I have pansys planted around mine so i water them and the tulips come up every spring and then the top dies and they do it all over the next year. So my advice is sit the pot of bulbs out where they get rain like they would normally if they were in the ground when the tops are totally brown they will pull off from the bulb and just toss them then you can plant them at your new house hope it helps