General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #16  

Height: 5'6"

I have several tattoos, 9 to be exact. Some can be easily hidden and others are a bit harder. I have always worked in an office setting, and when I've changed jobs I cover them up until I can gauge how tattoo-friendly the office is. I personally (obviously) have no issues with them, but I understand that some people still do. Every single one of mine means something to me, they are special to me, and mark a point in my life. I've never been asked to cover them up, and I'm not sure how I would react if I was because they are part of me. I am careful every time I get a new one to make sure that it can, at very least, be semi-covered up and not extremely noticeable.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #17  

I have a couple of tattoos. I can cover mine with clothing and my wedding ring. I just think its really what kind of tattoo it is at people have problems with. Like gang tatts or tear drops ect...
Bunnybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #18  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raichu View Post
and a very large chestpiece!
The colors in it are beautiful!! I love the stars.
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #19  
I'M WORKING ON IT

S/C/G: 205/ticker/127

Height: 5'3"

I'm also heavily tattooed. Visibly tattooed, my arms, legs, hands, neck, chest. I'm also a professional, I DO work in an office, and I have to say either I have the best bosses n the world (which I doubt), or people are starting to evolve.

To people who would tell me "I wouldn't do business with someone who looks like you, I don't know if you're a good person and trustworthy.", I'd say "So give your business to the big man in the Yves St-Laurent suit, he looks nice, even though he goes home drunk and beats his kids and wife a couple times a week."

Many workplaces find tattoos unprofessional. I don't see the difference between that, and their receptionist who's yapping aloud on her cellphone with her back turned to the 3 clients waiting at the front desk. I'm professional, treat people with respect, conduct business and deal with clients the same way someone without color on their skin would. And I never had to hide my tattoos, never will, because it's not worth effacing who I am to please someone else, even if that person pays my salary. If you can't respect this choice I'll find an employer who will. Which is what I've always done and never had problems. And that's why I keep getting more tattoos lol
RienQueNny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 277/210/175

Height: 6'0

I have tattoos on my forearms, which I can cover with long sleeves but rarely do. I work in a call center, so no one sees me - everyone is completely lax about tattoos and piercings.

As everyone else said, I think it just depends what your job is as to how tattoos and piercings should be looked at. I find it a bit disappointing people are judged on how they've chosen to express themselves via their own bodies, but it doesn't seem to be something that's going to progressively change, not for a while a least. So I've got tattoos I can cover and retainers for my facial piercings for those times when its not appropriate.
SalaamDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 193/170/140

Height: 5'5"

I have a rose on my ankle. I have not had any real problems at work. I work at a Southern Baptist church and only 1 pastor has ever said anything negative about it and he no longer works there. I have it uncovered in the summer when I wear capris or skirts and sandals.
Sheena41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:06 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 211/178/150 LW:161

Height: 5'6

Thanks for all the responses ladies, I was just curious. I have five tattoo's currently and I have an appointment made to get another on the inside of my forearm. Im 23 and im working on my Bachelor's in Psychology, specializing in Thanatology. I really believe as one of you ladies stated, that we are evolving and becoming more openminded to the idea of tattoos/piercing in the workplace. I believe that how we look and choose to decorated, peirce, ink, etc etc our bodies has nothing to do with how professional/smart we are!
vixxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:41 AM   #23  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

I've got 12 tattoos so far, including 3 forearm tattoos. My plans are to get a few more, possibly someday getting full sleeves on both arms. BUT, I'm a stay at home mom, so I really have no need to cover my tats. And I'm not really thinking I'll ever have a job where I would need to, but I could with long sleeves if I had to.

It bothers me that people find piercings and tattoos in the workplace "unprofessional". I don't see the link between ink on my skin/metal in my skin and how I'm going to do my job. It's all about what other people think. But I do think that as more and more younger people that have tats and piercings move into the workforce the more conservative people are going to have to be a bit less strict about them, or pass up on some really amazing employees.
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:00 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

It definitely depends where you work. I have worked mostly in very large corporations (Raytheon, Microsoft, Sony) and I'm sure a lot of my coworkers have tattoos, but they were rarely visible (there was a guy at MS who had a huge blue star tattooed on the top of his bald head!!).

I do have a tattoo on my back but it is very easy to cover (in fact it didn't show in any of my wedding photos, although my dress was backless - thank you, long hair).

I do think that tattoos are becoming more acceptable, but since I intend to keep working in my industry I wouldn't get a tattoo that wasn't easy to hide. I love my tattoo, it's very meaningful, but really, it's for me. I don't need to show it off every day at work!

Last edited by Glory87; 03-28-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:37 PM   #25  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinmintintraining View Post
.... But if you are out landscaping or building houses or working in a factory, It doesn't really matter.
No offense THINMINT but having been and still in the building industry for over 40 years I can say that it does matter...right or wrong...to some of our clients.

My personal take on tattoos is that I feel normal every day clothing should cover them, if necessary, for WHATEVER reason.

I don't have any but my wife has 3...1 that only myself and her doctor better see She also has one on her ankle that now is combined with one that is vine like with butterflies and pink (for my sister's breast cancer) ribbons and runs from her calf down to connect with the tequila sunrise flower on her ankle.

Should we judge people based on tattoos..of course not! But we do/have and always will judge people...we are not perfect people.

I find some tattoos very cool and well placed and I also find other people that IMHO appear to be clown like in appearance....but that's me...I am sure young people see it different. Does that mean I would hold the tats against them in a personal relationship?...nope....does it mean I would be less likely to hire them, over another equally qualified person, for a job where my clients come to work dressed in suits and where they would interact with the person covered in tattoos...probably so.

Our Vicar at church this year is one of the coolest young men I know....I love the guy and his sermons with a lot of energy!...his arms are covered with tattoos....

as far as I know there have not been any complaints since he came in August on the tats...I have attended my church for 28 years and I can tell you in years past there would have been complaints (we are very conservative)....although I can also tell you that my pastor would have "shut them up!" ...my point...tats are more accepted now...but...

right or wrong...

his may make a difference on where he is placed as a Pastor...

maybe not....

To be honest I was more offended by an earlier post on someone wearing a suit over any tattooed person I have ever seen
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #26  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

I think extremes of any kind are usually unprofessional. This would include being so tattooed that you look like a walking comic book, or having multiple piercings (especially facial) or an attention-grabbing hair style such as a mohawk.

But I don't have an issue with tasteful tattoos, artfully done. And even facial piercings can look passably OK if they are toned down with simple, unobtrusive jewelry. That mohawk, though--I just can't see it in any professional setting outside of a rock band.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 318/312/210

I think it really all depends on the type of work you do. I am not really bothered by tattoos at all (think they can be super nice at times). However, in certain situations, I may not have faith in my doctor or nurse if she has a tattoo on her neck and multiple piercings. However, if I spoke with her and got a feeling for her abilities, it wouldn't bother me one bit. Wow, I never thought I was that conservative.

I usually dont have any problems with tattoos. It may just depend of where there are located, and what they are of. If someone has a curse word tattoo and they are going to be my tax person, I may be a bit uneasy.
milliondollarbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #28  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I don't care for tattoos personally but I also don't see an issue if someone has them. Having said that, I couldn't imagine anyone at my work sporting visible tattoos. It is one of those things where it is looked down upon by many people and in a professional environment it is better to be safe than sorry.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #29  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I am much like Shantroy - I work in an industry where I deal with a wide variety of clients, some of whom are conservative enough that having visible tattoos would affect their perception of my professionalism. I don't think that's necessarily fair, because tattoos don't, in my opinion, reflect on actual characteristics of professionalism in any way. Still, it wouldn't be appropriate for me to have a visible tattoo in that setting.

Of course, in most settings that are that conservative, dress standards are also conservative so that most tattoos would be covered (suits, jackets, pantyhose, etc).

I do understand company policies against visible tattoos, for the reason I mentioned...some clients are more conservative, and fair or not, it may reflect badly on the company in the eyes of that client if an employee has visible tattoos. Just as companies put dress code policies in place, they may put tattoo policies in place to reflect the standards of the industry. I do think those policies need to be made clear in employee manuals and such, so that no one goes out and gets a tattoo without knowing it'll be an issue.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:35 PM   #30  
Recommitted: 12/29/2015

S/C/G: 310/ticker/155

Height: 5'6" | Age: 27

As much as I'd love to get a really dramatic chest piece, I really do think that it would limit my post-college career options (I'm planning on working in Public Policy), so instead I'm planning to get a piece on my mid-back.

For me personally, one or two (or even more, honestly) visible tattoos don't really make me view someone as being any less professional, but facial tattoos do have a major way of distracting me and making me wonder why someone would choose to tattoo such a sensitive body part!
Enduring Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote