General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #1  
19Deltawifey

Default Sleep paralysis, anyone?

I have always had sleep paralysis several times a week but lately it has been about once a night now. I have gotten used to it though and it doesn't freak me out now. I was just wondering if anyone else experiences waking up and not being able to move for a couple of seconds or minutes? Usually I just lay there and tell myself that soon I will be able to move, I just have to wait a couple of seconds.

Last edited by 19Deltawifey; 02-11-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:45 PM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

I experience that about once a month or more...It terrifies me and I hate it!
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

Height: 5'6"

Yes! I rarely have it, only when I am super stressed and taking a nap somewhere other than my bed. I have read a lot about it. I don't think I have the same thing as you, because I am still sleeping when it happens, I just think I am awake. Weird things always happen- like there are people in the room that are not really there, that is how I know I am still sleeping. I have learned when it does happen ( which it hasn't for at least 6 months) that if I just relax and realize I have no control over moving my body, that they can be the most vivid and entertaining dreams I have ever had.
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:04 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

The first time it happened to me, it felt like I was awake, but Satan in black Reaper robes and a short dude in jeans and bright tennis shoes were standing by my bedside. I was only 18 or 19, and it felt so real, that only the cartoonish short dude in the tennis shoes convinced me that I was dreaming.

Another type of sleep paralysis I have is dream within a dream (waking up in the dream, only to wake up still in the dream). Sometimes I feel "trapped" in the dream. I realize I'm asleep, and dreaming, but I can't force myself to wake up, and I have to really concentrate on waking up (and it can take several minutes or what seems like it). Very freaky.

Apparently both types are common in fibromyalgia, because awake states more frequently overlap or intrude on deeper sleep.

For the most part, both types stopped when my doctor added a med at bedtime that is supposed to help me get deeper levels of sleep (so waking and and dream sleep aren't as likely to overlap).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

it has happened to me before. I always assumed that it was due to waking up during REM slleep because, during that stage, we supposedly dont move. We are literally paralyzed for a bit. I think the real question here is what is causing you to wake up so often during REM. That is not a natural time for the body to do so. Have you ever had a sleep study? does your hubby snore real loud? lol
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I haven't had sleep paralysis in years but I used to have it in conjunction with waking dreams/nightmares. Like I'd be partially awake, be able to see the room I was in but then would see 'someone' in the room that wanted to hurt me and I couldn't move. Then I'd fully wake up and still couldn't move.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:00 AM   #7  
19Deltawifey

Sorry ladies it took me so long to reply I just got back from Colorado. I don't know what causes me to wake up so much. My husband does snore but for some reason I wake up frequently during the night. And I almost always have to use the restroom once a night. I used to see people in the room who weren't really there but now I don't. I can only look around the room while not being able to move, sometimes the thing that scares me is the feeling of not being able to breath. Its like I am face down in the pillow but not able to move and usually I have to wait til my reflex of my body making me breath and then usually I wake up. I haven't done a sleep study or anything I would like to though. Im just so used to it now. I also wake up in my dream and realize that Im dreaming but can't escape the dream. I usually know that Im dreaming and can practically do anything that I want since I know its a dream but its hard to wake up. Its good to know that Im not the only person, my husband experiences this as well but not as often as me
Old 02-17-2010, 05:10 AM   #8  
banned

My husband experiences this from time to time, but I've never had it before. From what he's told me, it sounds very scary.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:37 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

I've use to experience this often. My dreams were really vivid and sometimes I couldn't tell if I was dreaming or not. The times when I knew I was dreaming were amazing as I could dream about anything I wanted to. I remember one time digging into an Italian pastry because I knew I actually wouldn't be consuming any calories. I was so excited that I ended up waking up!

Though, sometimes there were horrible nightmares that caused sleep paralysis. It was weird experiencing this, but there is comfort in knowing it will pass. I haven't experienced this in at least 5 years. My dreams aren't as vivid as they use to be.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by utgirl09 View Post
Yes! I rarely have it, only when I am super stressed and taking a nap somewhere other than my bed. I have read a lot about it. I don't think I have the same thing as you, because I am still sleeping when it happens, I just think I am awake. Weird things always happen- like there are people in the room that are not really there, that is how I know I am still sleeping. I have learned when it does happen ( which it hasn't for at least 6 months) that if I just relax and realize I have no control over moving my body, that they can be the most vivid and entertaining dreams I have ever had.

I used to experience this as child kinda. I was awake but still dreaming. I think the chemicals that make you dream are still active in your head, just like the ones that keep you from moving. Scientists have actually proposed this as an explanation for alien/supernatural encounters. They think that your mind tends to go to negative/scary places because you're so freaked out by not being able to move.

Last edited by Aclai4067; 02-17-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #11  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

I too experience this! I didn't realize there was an official name for it. I've experienced it with and without imagining frightful people in my room standing over me. It started when I was about 16 and has occured off and on since. It usually happens when I am overtired or stressed out about something.

Thanks for posting this thread!

Last edited by Marathon Mom; 02-22-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:00 AM   #12  
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
The first time it happened to me, it felt like I was awake, but Satan in black Reaper robes and a short dude in jeans and bright tennis shoes were standing by my bedside. I was only 18 or 19, and it felt so real, that only the cartoonish short dude in the tennis shoes convinced me that I was dreaming.
OMG, when I first read this post it gave me a seriously disturbing nightmare... but it's all good, I got a story idea out of it. lol.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:49 AM   #13  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Ugh! I HATE, HATE, HATE this..... it scares the CRAP outta me... especially the "evil presence" feeling that is about each time! I hate even talking about it!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #14  
19Deltawifey

I am so glad that when I have sleep paralysis that I am in my room and there are no evil demon looking things in there with me. I don't think I could handle that so hopefully that doesn't start happening. I don't think I experienced sleep paralysis in a while but when I do I just stay calm and remind myself that I will be able to move soon
Old 03-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #15  

Height: 6-1.5

I'm usually asleap but dreaming I am awake, and usually see wierd things, but always based on what is actually there, for instnace the ceiling fan turns into a spider like thing and scares me. I am always freaked out by ceiling fans because they come to life in my dreams.

Last edited by giselley; 03-14-2010 at 01:20 PM.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote