General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Default Oscars

What is up with the gown of most people?! I expect better when it's Oscar time, sheesh! Glad Chrisoph Waltz, Monique and Sandra Bullock won! I'm not a James Cameron fan so I'm glad Avatar didn't win Best Picture or Best Director.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I thought it was GREAT that James Cameron's EX wife sat right in front of him and KILLED it with 6 awards for her movie...even made history as the first ever best director!
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #3  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

I liked Avatar, but ever since that movie came out, James Cameron's head has gotten 10 sizes too big. So I was really happy when The Hurt Locker won, and even more happy when Kathyrn Bigelow won too!! I bet he wishes he never divorced her now. Plus, The Hurt Locker was just better in general. It wasn't some knock off of Ferngully!! I was so so so so happy that Sandra Bullock won!!! I burst into tears when her name was called, lol!! She's been one of my fave actresses ever since I was younger.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:21 AM   #4  
HMS

S/C/G: 94/85/65 kg

Height: 5'8"

Well I haven't seen either movie ... so can't really give any informed opinion on the winners ....

But I'm still just stunned that it took 82 years to get the first female director to win an Oscar .... I can give an opinion on that ..... I think it is shameful ..... Hollywood must be one great boys club! I also thought playing "I am Woman" as Kathryn Bigelow(sp) went off patronising ...!

Last edited by HMS; 03-09-2010 at 03:23 AM.
HMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #5  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

ooh i didn't know that was his ex-wife. that makes things way more interesting.

i thought the dresses were kind of disappointing this year too. some of them were outright awful... that pink ruffly one... and Sarah Jessica Parkers dress just looked like a sack. blech!
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #6  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I was definitely disappointed in SJPs dress! I expect her to walk that line, but that dress just didn't work. And her hair looked really messy, too.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #7  
really4real

S/C/G: 274/236/188

Height: 5'1"

I was so happy for Mo'nique and thought she looked so beautiful!!! Really happy for Sandra Bullock, too. That dress, OMG, too gorgeous!

As for Avatar, ok, it was a good movie. But for me, not all that I keep hearing about. The visual effects, I get, even the message, the overall story. But it just wasn't my favorite.

But super "yaaaay" for Jeff Bridges!!!! Loved, loved loved his acting for Crazy Heart! Now that was an incredible movie!!!
starchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I saw Avatar awhile back and we went to The Hurt Locker last night. They definitely gave the Best Director Oscar to the right person. Too bad it took 82 years for a woman to win it - Hollywod IS one big boys club but we are making inroads, just as in all other areas of endeavour.

I generally don't dress up but I'm always interested to see others doing so. I thought Sigourney Weaver and Queen Latifah hit it out of the park with their respective gowns - gorgeous! Some of the younger women there (Zoe Saldana in the purple number immediately comes to mind) seemed overwhelmed by their dresses.

And despite what the fashionistas said I really liked Robert Downey Jr.'s look. Not a heck of a lot you can do with a tux but he stood out.

I didn't stay up late enough to see the best actor/best actress (?) Oscars awarded. Haven't seen either movie but I've always like Bridges and Bullock as competent practitioners of their craft. Not brilliant but steady.

Dagmar (everyone's a critic )
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

Hurt Locker was very good and Kathryn Bigelow deserved to win for Best Director and possibly Best Picture, as well. But what's with all the anti-James Cameron vitriol? Avatar in 3D at the IMAX was f-ing awesome!
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachinma View Post
...But what's with all the anti-James Cameron vitriol? Avatar in 3D at the IMAX was f-ing awesome!
It is Sci/Fi. Sci/Fi never goes over well at the awards, no matter how much people like it.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
I didn't stay up late enough to see the best actor/best actress (?) Oscars awarded. Haven't seen either movie but I've always like Bridges and Bullock as competent practitioners of their craft. Not brilliant but steady.
Sandra Bullock was fabulous in The Blind Side. I saw it twice in the theatre.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #12  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCristo View Post
It is Sci/Fi. Sci/Fi never goes over well at the awards, no matter how much people like it.
No, I know that. I meant *here*. It's all -- Go Kathryn Bigelow. Girl Power! Death to James Cameron -- you got what's coming to you!"
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #13  

Quote:
No, I know that. I meant *here*. It's all -- Go Kathryn Bigelow. Girl Power! Death to James Cameron -- you got what's coming to you!"
I see...I hadn't noticed. I guess it is probably the whole "first time" deal...and weren't Cameron and Bigelow married at one point? Adds an extra measure of rivalry....on a mainly female site, I can see how the "manbashing" could get out of hand.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #14  
No description available.

Quote:
I saw Avatar yesterday and for all of its interesting and unique aspects, I felt like I'd seen it before. I kept waiting for Two-Socks to show up.

I didn't watch the Oscars (I don't care about award shows), but no one here has said anything that can be construed as "Death to James Cameron".
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #15  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post

I generally don't dress up but I'm always interested to see others doing so. I thought Sigourney Weaver and Queen Latifah hit it out of the park with their respective gowns - gorgeous! Some of the younger women there (Zoe Saldana in the purple number immediately comes to mind) seemed overwhelmed by their dresses.

And despite what the fashionistas said I really liked Robert Downey Jr.'s look. Not a heck of a lot you can do with a tux but he stood out.
Zoe Saldana's dress was amazing!! Omg..I really wanted to just wear it, lol!! I always think Queen Latifah looks fab. She carries herself very well. I must get the number of her stylist, lol!!

Is it me or does RDJ always know how hot he looks? I swear, he's stuck up, but awesome at the same time. He's the perfect Tony Stark, thats for sure. (Yes, I made a Ironman reference. My hubby will be so pleased, haha!!)
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote