anyone can their own tomato sauce?

• I'm thinking about getting my own pressure canner. Does anyone can their own pasta sauce, and if so, what recipe do you use?
  • I plan to this year, but acidulated more so I can just do it in a hot water bath. I'm going to use Barbara Kingsolver's recipe as published in Animal Vegetable Miracle.

http://animalvegetablemiracle.com/Tomato%20Sauce.pdf
  • In my house, we go through about 4 jars a month of pasta sauce and lots of fruit preserves. I can't decide if I want a pressure canner or a water canner.
    I know if I got one, I'd use it for more than just sauce and preserves.
    Anybody have a preference?
    Thanks Mandalinn!
  • I have a pressure cooker that came with a canning kit. I've used it to both pressure can and water bath can. I'd suggest a pressure canner because you can use it for both. Mine was ~$45 on Amazon, with free shipping.
  • I love fresh sauce!! I made this recipe (of course I tweaked it a bit as I always do), but it turned out deliciously!! I haven't ventured into canning, but this recipe froze well.

FRESH TOMATO SAUCE
    1 c. olive oil
    6 c. chopped onions
    6 cloves garlic, pressed
    2 c. chopped celery
    2 c. chopped red bell pepper
    16 lbs. fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded & chopped to make about 6 qts.
    3 (12 oz.) cans tomato paste
    3 c. beef broth
    5 bay leaves
    Salt & pepper to taste 1/2 c. chopped fresh basil & parsley
    2 tbsp. fresh thyme or 1 tbsp. dried
    3 tbsp. fresh oregano or 1 1/2 tbsp. dried
    Saute the onions in the olive oil in a 12 quart pot until translucent. Add the celery, peppers and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for 3 to 6 hours (this really depends on your tomatoes), stirring occasionally, and checking the seasoning several times. The sauce is done when it is well-thickened and a slight film of oil is visible at the surface. This makes 6 to 8 quarts of sauce that will keep in the freezer with no loss of flavor for up to 6 months. It may be used for all types of pasta dishes, lasagna or pizza.

Here is another recipe. I have not made it, but it is very basic and does not include the beef broth.

FRESH TOMATO SPAGHETTI SAUCE
    1/4 c. vegetable oil
    2 lg. onions, chopped
    2 cloves minced garlic
    1 lg. green pepper, chopped
    12 c. fresh tomatoes, peeled
    3 (12 oz.) cans tomato paste
    3 tbsp. sugar
    1 tbsp. salt
    3/4 tsp. pepper
    3 tbsp. oregano
    2-3 bay leaves
    Heat oil in large kettle and cook onion, garlic and green pepper until tender. Add remaining ingredients, stir well after each addition. Simmer uncovered for 45-60 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Meatballs may be added now and cook for 30 minutes. This sauce freezes well.

Good luck!!
  • thanks guys!