3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   "Re-gifting" Funny stories please... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/187924-re-gifting-funny-stories-please.html)

Sweetcaroline 12-10-2009 06:39 PM

"Re-gifting" Funny stories please...

I need some laughs !! Have you ever re-gifted ? or received a re-gift ?

CLCSC145 12-10-2009 07:05 PM

My aunt sent me used slipper socks one year for Christmas. I couldn't believe it. The bottoms were dirty since someone had obviously worn them already. She's got a ton of money, so that isn't the cause. She's just weird and inconsiderate.

VernDern 12-10-2009 07:15 PM

When I was growing up my parents always gave someone a prank gift. One year when my sister had begged for a computer my parents bought it for her, took it out of the box and hid it and then replaced the box with like some old crappy electronic. Her face was priceless. For years we passed around these frog things that noone wanted. There were many wrapped brickes in replace of the real gift in the box too.

Makes it fun! haha.....well only if the real gift is hidden and not non existent! lol

babenwaiting 12-10-2009 07:18 PM

Years ago, in a gift exchange at my job, an office mate gave me a set of really ugly towels. Under the towels in the bottom of the box was a note to her from her Aunt Nellie, discussing how much she was looking forward to her wedding! :D

kaplods 12-10-2009 08:08 PM

Several years ago, we gag-gifted my mom with an absolutely hideous ceramic folk-art angel. She is bald, and has tin wire hands (from which dangled ugly tin charms) and a badly painted Christmas scene on her dress. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

The next Christmas, we got the angel back, so the next year we passed it back. It was funny because I was sure my mom would suspect, when we were unpacking the trunk and I told her to "be careful with that one, it's very fragile." What was really funny is she kept looking at the gift, obviously dying of curiosity. It was the first gift she opened when it was her turn. We all laughed so hard, I'm surprised no one wet their pants.

Ever since then, the angel has been making the rounds of family members - the "rule" of the Ugly Christmas Angel gifting - is that whoever gets the angel has to display it prominently all year round until they pass it on the next Christmas. One of my sisters (I think it was last year), added a little scroll that lists all the previous giftees and the Christmas it was gifted (I think going back to the beginning - I haven't received it since the scroll was added, so I'm not sure).

Heidi58 12-10-2009 08:17 PM

10 or 12 years ago I got a beautiful candy dish from one of my kindergarten students. It's beautiful and a little more expensive than most of the gifts I get from students' families.

The little boy asked me if I liked it, and when I assured him that I loved it, he said, "My Grandma's boyfriend gave it to her but he's a jerk so she don't want it no more."

The dish is on top of my piano, we use it as a catch all. Jerk or not, the boyfriend had excellent taste. ;)

Violet73 12-10-2009 08:30 PM

I used to work in a doctors office and one doc was very cheap....his wife brought up the gift for his nurse and gave her some "homemade" cookies (store bought) with a christmas card that they had actually received from someone else. They scratched out the other person's name on the christmas card and put theirs under it. Also, they asked for the plastic tin back that the cookies came in....geesh. most other docs in the department gave their nurses money...some got gift cards...but this doc was cheap and probably made the most money out of all the docs.

angelanicole23 12-10-2009 08:35 PM

When I was growing up...my aunt would always give my sister great gifts (her and my cousin are one year apart). Because I was always four years older I always got crappy gifts...things that she would like. Almost every xmas i was like wtf??? Some old beach bag...ugly sweater etc..while my sister got funky pj's etc...

evilwomaniamshe 12-10-2009 08:36 PM

Once I received one of those thick candles in a jar & it was definitely a re-gift because it was used! :o (no $hit, the wick was black and candle somewhat melted once I took the cork cover off the top lid!) Yup it wasn't from an elderly relative either, sorry to say it was from a friend!
Jeeze how is that for a classic re-gift??!!! :dizzy:

As far as re-gifting, heck ya I do it, if it something I would never use or wear etc., why not pass it on instead of filling up my closet with useless items! I always dlb check for cards/tags etc. though....

Thighs Be Gone 12-10-2009 09:36 PM

Back in college I attended a wedding shower. The bride-to-be received a silver photo frame still boxed. She opened the box to slide it out--there at the bottom was engraved, "Congratulations Michelle & Mark." Michelle was the giver of the photo frame! LOL.

Thighs Be Gone 12-10-2009 09:38 PM

Also, I have a very, very wealthy friend. She gives wumdinger gifts. A couple of years ago I received a candle that had been lit previously for my birthday. When I opened it she said, "it smells really good--I tested it." She was dead serious!

She has also given me opened bottles of hand lotions. She is a clean person though--so I used it anyway. LOL!

katkitten 12-10-2009 09:47 PM

my grandma once gave my sister the gift she had sent to my grandma the year before!

my roommate in college worked at a scenery design shop and designed something for one of those shops that sells....well...these: http://www.naturespiritinc.com/ (which we all thought were totally tacky)...so when he was done working for them they said, in expression of their gratitude, they would let him choose any picture in the store....Well, Adam didnt like ANY of them so he chose the tackiest one in the store and gave it as a white elephant present at our christmas party haha. as far as I know, that picture is still getting passed around today!

AR4life 12-10-2009 10:01 PM

The tackiest gift I've received was a box of chocolates that had been opened and a few of the soft chocs had been pressed in by a finger.....:?:

It was a tacky present party after all... :rofl:

kaplods 12-11-2009 12:08 AM

I do makeover dolls (turning Barbies into something else - centaurs, mermaids, fairies...). My aunt requested a "Southern Belle" doll one Christmas, so I not only worked my butt off on the doll, I even created a display box for her.

She seemed really pleased with the gift, so the next Christmas (at my parent's house) I gave her another doll. An asian doll in a cocktail dress. I do understand if it wasn't to her tastes, but she didn't even bother taking it home with her. It ended up in my NEPHEWS' toy box - the boys loved it though. She did get a lot of abuse. I wasn't sure if they were pretending she was a superhero or an airplane - because they'd run through the house with her making airplain noises (maybe Wonder Woman, passing gas?)

Dulce Vida 12-11-2009 01:01 PM

LOL I love these stories! I have no funny stories to share, but I love reading them!