General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #16  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I was sure when I was a kid one year that I heard reindeer hooves on the roof! I still remember that!

Here's Cartier on 5th Avenue from last year. Saks puts lit snowflakes all over the front of the building. Nice time of year to see NYC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cartier5thave2008smaller.jpg (44.1 KB, 9 views)
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #17  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

When I was 18, a few months after graduation, I moved out of my parents house into a tri-plex that my dad and I owned. It was very close to Christmas so my parents told me to buy only what I needed... Santa was coming soon! It was probably the first year my folks had $$$ to spend on us kids for Christmas.

My mom asked for a wish list of everything I wanted for the apt. just in case. My sister was 13 years old at the time. All the gifts were under the tree, wrapped, several days before Christmas.

Being 18 and on my own I stopped by my mom's every night after work for dinner and a lunch for the next day...also to pick up my laundry all nice and folded and of course my mom "baby" sat my dog for me....anyway...at least I was on my own

My sister kept bugging me to guess what the presents were...well...heck I could tell...vacuum cleaner....popcorn maker...coffee pot....I kept telling her I didn't want to guess...I knew what I asked for...

she kept bugging me...I know now it was her excitement...and joy...I am sure she was with my mom on the shopping days....

well...I guessed...just to get her off my back...

guessed them all right...every single one....

She was so bummed....

Wish I hadn't guessed right...I never guessed right, after that night, when a child asked me to....my luck ran out....
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #18  

Awww, Gary...... You're activating my pregnancy hormones. 2nd time today someone has made me cry over some sad Christmas-related story. One of my co-workers' tree fell over yesterday & broke her "baby's 1st Christmas" ornament that was her 22-yr-old's.
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #19  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Sorry to hear that 4myself.

We had a lot of those "first" ornaments and the ones the kids made in school. A couple of years ago Angie boxed them all up for each kid to have...the kids pretty much remembered the ones they made.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #20  
k8t
k8t

On a more serious side: We have an advent tradition of hanging a stocking for Jesus on the mantle with our family stockings. Then each night, after we light the advent candles for dinner, we each say things that we did that day to help others in some way. We write these down on little slips of paper and put them in Jesus's stocking as our birthday gifts for him for Christmas.

On a lighter side, I remember when my oldest decided that kids were asking Santa for all the wrong things. See, everyone she knew asked Santa for gifts you could find anywhere. She told us, "You know, Santa has his own workshop so he can make anything. Kids should ask Santa for the things they can't find in the stores." Needless to say, the next few Christmas requests proved challenging.

Thank goodness for eBay!

Last edited by k8t; 12-03-2009 at 09:15 PM.
k8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:44 AM   #21  
this is my time

S/C/G: 200/174/135

Height: 5'6"

Well one Christmas tradition that we do is when we get the tree (which is sunday). We get together with DH's family for breakfast exchange ornamets for the person that we picked out of a hat the year before. Then go and get the tree. When we get back we usually play a game and that is usually Scrabble or something like that. It is a fun day.

Last edited by mrsaugie; 12-04-2009 at 08:47 AM.
mrsaugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #22  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

my mother was never one who embraced the joy of cooking, heh heh, but every Christmas she made chocolate chip cookies and sugar cookies filled with raisins or pineapple. We left cookies and milk out for Santa Xmas eve. We'd have a big tree with all the lights and decorations in the dining room, and pile all the presents underneath it.

we had Christmas albums of music, I remember Julie Andrews singing the Bells of Christmas, and one was the musical story of Scrooge.

We got to open one present Xmas Eve, then everything else Xmas morning (usually pre-dawn, since we couldn't wait).

my parents filled our stockings with fresh fruit, huge navel oranges, and apples. and we'd open our box of See's Candy Xmas day. We usually had a bowl of uncracked walnuts around too.

my grandparents sent us these big boxes of wrapped presents, they lived far away. that was awesome. I remember they'd send us Timex watches all the time, one year I got a tape recorder (another awesome gift).

with all the gifts I got over the years, the one that really sticks in my mind was a watch with a red LED readout, it had a white plastic band with flowers. I loved that watch, I can't tell you why.

my older brother used to fly in to stay with us (he's much older than me), and he used to go shopping on Xmas even and always made me wrap his gifts(!)

I like getting gifts, but now I do get a bigger kick out of getting them for other people. Love that "omg, he/she will love that" moment. I went and picked up some presents last night in my neighborhood, and one store was giving out free mulled wine. I did appreciate that!

I love, love, love Christmas music, the Little Drummer Boy can make me cry. Yes, I have my sentimental streak.

Last edited by dragonwoman64; 12-04-2009 at 03:54 PM.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #23  
Taking care of me.

It's snowing here in Houston and the natives are freaking out.

It reminds me of about four years ago when it snowed Christmas morning and melted by noon. I remember looking out of my apartment window at the kids running from car to car trying to scrape off enough snow to have a snowball fight. Trust me, it was a very short battle.

Now I leave to battle the traffic crazies.

Have a great weekend everybody!
MoveMoveMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #24  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwoman64 View Post

I love, love, love Christmas music, the Little Drummer Boy can make me cry. Yes, I have my sentimental streak.
Me too! I love the Little Drummer Boy

I also like it that a few years back a station here started playing Christmas music 24/7 the day after Thanksgiving

I don't need it now though, Angie and I have a ton of Christmas music from the old traditions to Mannheim Steamroller to Trans Siberian to Jim Brickman and Andy Williams....Carpenters, Charlie Brown...Sawyer Brown...and on...I think Third Day Offerings is the one we like the best

I loaded my i-pod shuffle a few days ago...I am in heaven on my walks!

One of the gifts I remember from the past that I just loved...a used typewriter...rebuilt and in great condition...when I was in 7th grade...I was so cool All my buddies wanted to use it to type their reports...one finger at a time

good times
Old 12-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #25  
this is my time

S/C/G: 200/174/135

Height: 5'6"

There is a radio station in my area that will start playing Xmas music the Saturday before Thanksgiving until new years if i remember right. They play it 24/7.

well we just got home from one of our 2 parades that we are in this weekend. cold but it was fun.
mrsaugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #26  
I ♥ Life!

S/C/G: 231/221/150

Height: 5'3"

Oooh, I LOVE Christmas! I love finding the perfect Christmas cards, filling them out with a nice message, putting a pretty sticker and attaching a candy cane. I love shopping for gifts that I think the receiver will love, and I don't even mind the lines nor the crowds. I love decorating the house, the tree, and even my desk at work. I love listening to Christmas music on the radio all the time. I love spending time with my family.

I love it all!
Dulce Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #27  
I ♥ Life!

S/C/G: 231/221/150

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8t View Post
On a more serious side: We have an advent tradition of hanging a stocking for Jesus on the mantle with our family stockings. Then each night, after we light the advent candles for dinner, we each say things that we did that day to help others in some way. We write these down on little slips of paper and put them in Jesus's stocking as our birthday gifts for him for Christmas.
What a nice idea!
Dulce Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #28  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Angie and I just got home from dinner...Mexican tonight...we always have Christmas Eve at our house...around 20-30 people...we feed them...Angie has to play bells at early service at church this year...spent the evening trying to decide what to cook...we have had....

chili and chicken tortilla soup

Rachael Ray pasta

Pizza..all flavors

Deli sandwiches...ham/turkey/roast beef

cheese enchiladas, rice and beans

in recent years...any ideas folks?
Old 12-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #29  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

For anyone interested I have posted the Advent Devotionals as we await our Savior's birth...go here....

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/fait...ns-2009-a.html
Old 12-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #30  
k8t
k8t

Thanks, Dulce Vida. We enjoy doing it together.

EZ - thanks for the link.
k8t is offline   Reply With Quote