General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #46  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Honestly, IMHO, it isn't a matter of homosexual, heterosexual, or bisexual. It is a matter of how much shock value they can put out there. Just when you think it can't get any worse, it does. I just wonder if it will ever get better for those of us who are sick of the "show".
Old 11-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #47  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

It probably won't get better until there are more people that are sick of the show than those that watch due to shock value.

How many more people have seen the video of the performance due to the controversy?
Old 11-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #48  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I see the kiss is getting a lot of attention here. I listed the kiss as disgusting because I felt it was done in a violent nature just like the rest of the "show"....unfortunately I forgot to mention I didn't approve of him flipping off the camera/crowd at the end either.

Now the word is that Adam had not planned the kiss...it was an "in the moment" situation....sure hope the other dude felt the same way about it!

Oh and everyone that believes it wasn't planned or thought of beforehand...and truly was in the moment...

come on over to my house...I'll make you lunch
Old 11-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I have no trouble believing he did this or that spontaneously. But I don't believe for a second he didn't plan much of it. He just didn't tell the producers. Or ... he did, but they will never admit they all planned it together. Whatever.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #50  
Pure American Metal

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/145

Height: 5 ft 7.5 in

I don't care whether the person is a woman, man, gay, straight, or bi. I think simulated sex on stage is gross. If you're into that fine, but you can do it in a more regulated environment that's away from the kiddos. The problem is this show was prime time geared towards a wider audience. Just because I don't like his performance or music does not make me homophobic.

These types of performances are so over the top; I wasn't impressed with Madonna back in the eighties and ninties when I was in my tweens and teens or modern day artists like Shakira, Mariah Carey, Britney Spears etc. Even the few seconds I stop on MTV are too much and uncomfortable.

Popular music is overly sexual beyond being anything I'd consider artistic althought I could possibly show leniency on calling this art if they could even write their own music. But no, they have some lyricist come up with the most controverial BS they can think of simply for shock value - it's usually nothing they feel strongly about.

Unfortunately these displays garner a LOT of attention and therefore are not going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:00 PM   #51  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
I consider myself to be a very open individual and find most of the comments above to have a homophobic tinge. This dicotomy of morals is exactly what most people around the world hate about americans. People are carrying guns in their pockets, video games are violent beyond comprehension, but a nipple is illegal? So what if sex was portrayed on tv? I'd rather have sex than constant bludgering and murder in my face.

That said I don't think Adam Lambert has reached the point in his career where he should be taking risks like this. I don't need him to educate me. Is his career going to be about music or is it going to be about political statements? I'm tired of Hollywood pushing their views on us. Those who think of themselves as role models abuse their influence, and those that don't live lives of excess in the public eye which is far removed from any reality we can achieve.
I agree with the first half, but not the second.

So now a gay man being sexual in a performance is "being political"? I'm sorry, but that's him being who he is, a gay man. It's not his fault the US is a$$-backwards and doesn't allow gay men and women the right to marry their partners. is performance had NOTHING to do with politics, and EVERYTHING to do with him being who he is. He has always been risky, even on American Idol and when he was in musical theater, I don't think it's fair to tell him to change and revert because he's a new artist. Lady Gaga is a new artist as well, and she definitely pushes the envelope, and that's one of the reasons I love her, she's a true performance artist. If she wasn't who she is, then she wouldn't be as popular. And if Adam Lambert changed who he is for the idiots in the mainstream media, for the idiots in conservative america, to appease them, then he's no longer an artist and just a mindless, music drone like the Jonas Brothers, etc.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #52  
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashnl View Post
Honestly, IMHO, it isn't a matter of homosexual, heterosexual, or bisexual. It is a matter of how much shock value they can put out there. Just when you think it can't get any worse, it does. I just wonder if it will ever get better for those of us who are sick of the "show".
Then it's as simple as not watching.

it's incredibly selfish to want musicians to change for YOUR tastes, because YOU don't like what they have to say or do. If you don't like it, then listen to Taylor Swift of the Jonas Brothers.

Suck it up and get over it.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #53  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowergirl68 View Post
So now a gay man being sexual in a performance is "being political"? I'm sorry, but that's him being who he is, a gay man....
sunflower.... I think you are missing the point of this topic...it isn't about being a homosexual...well maybe a little went that way....but...

the reason I posted the thread was the disgust of his "show"...the raunchiness of it...it wasn't about him being a homosexual at all really...

I fail to see the homosexual in 1 ~ him rubbing a woman's face in his crotch 2 ~ walking people on all fours like dogs 3 ~ finger a woman on a pole 4 ~ Grabbing and groping his own crotch knowing full well young people would be watching and 5 ~ Flipping off the audience watching him...

where exactly is the GAY in any of that?

If this is "art"...omgoodness

Last edited by EZMONEY; 11-24-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #54  
banned

Yeah, it is. If he was a straight man who kissed a woman, you wouldn't be upset at all. Or if it was a straight woman doing those things, like Britney Spears or Janet Jackson, I would hear no complaints from you.

Like I said, if you don't like it, don't watch. No one forced you to watch it, and you could have turned off the TV.

I honestly for the life of me can't understand why people would rather complain than simply turning off the TV or ignoring it. If I don't like something on TV, I change the channel and ignore it. I don't let my anger control me so much that I have to rant and rave about it to anyone who will listen.

Some things go too far, like biting the head off of a bat, that's something to complain about because it's killing a live animal on stage. Adam Lambert didn't hurt anyone. You choose to be offended.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:41 PM   #55  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I am closing this thread as I think we have said enough already Although general chatter is the place for topics which we wouldn't otherwise see in other parts of the forum, there is no reason for personal attacks and I think we have gotten a little overheated and a few things have been said in this thread that really shouldn't have been.

I actually went and watched the video of the performance and maybe it is my computer monitor versus a large screen tv but I wouldn't have really noticed some of the things unless someone had pointed them out to me. It also didn't seem too much different than other musical performances I've seen. It does seem there is a double standard.

Anyway, if another mod opens this thread back up, you may see it again, otherwise, remember we are here to love and respect eachother even if we don't agree.
Closed Thread