General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #1  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

Default Christmas Present for a 10 year old girl?! Advice!

Okay, so we drew names at my grandprents for Christmas this year and my little boy drew his 10 year old cousins name. We don't know her really well and I don't have a ton of shopping time...I've tried getting in touch with her mom to ask what she's into and haven't had any luck so....

I found this really cool thing at this specialty toy store that's like a Make-Your-Own-Perfume kit...it looks really fun and interesting and girly. Does this sound age appropriate? To those of you who have or know 10 year old girls...would they like to receive something like this for a gift?

Thanks
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Sounds messy to me- I'd be cringing as a parent if someone got that for my kid...

I'm going to guess if she's ten she's probably REALLY into Hanna Montana- why not get her something HM? A jacket or skirt (if you know her size) or a purse? Or how about High School Musical or Camp Rock? That stuff seems to be popular with the 10 year old's as well

I hope her mom get's back to you soon.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I have an almost 8 year old and something we always do for birthday and holiday gifts for her friends is to buy one of those clear storage boxes from Wal-Mart (not real small, decent sized), they are usually like $3, then we fill it up with chapter books, neat pens and papers, and just whatever we find that is neat. Maybe a journal or diary with some fun pens and you can get the 99 cent make up at Walmart that is not messy and parents shouldn't mind like light colored lip gloss, etc. You could even get a lot of stuff from the dollar store if you are worried about expense. We just have fun filling it up with a variety of stuff.

Oh, there are some reasonably priced Project Runway toys out where they can design their own clothing and stuff that looks like some girls might like.

Don't assume on the Hannah Montana...my little girl ihas now declared HM is "out" and she's into iCarly instead...many of the girls a bit older than her are no longer into HM, either.

I am considering getting my daughter a similar gift that mixes her own perfumes but I am holding back because I worry she is a bit too young, but if she were 10 I would do it...it just depends on her mom. If she's the type of mom who will help her do it, then go with it. if she's not likely to want to help her daughter then stay away from it.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I had something kind of like that and was probably around that age (maybe a year or two older), it was create your own scented lotion thing from bath and body works. I loved it.

other fun stuff: markers, crafts, nail polish, bath and body works stuff, target/walmart gift card, photo album, jewelry (Claires or the Icing are great for cheap fun jewelry), itunes gift card if she has an ipod
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

When my neighbor turned 11, I got her a kit (at Target) where she could make her own rings. You paint designs onto the stones. She liked that a lot. Also got her a friendship bracelet making kit (she was having a slumber party for her b-day so I figured they could do that at some point during the evening).

I'd stay away from Hannah Montana, iCarly, etc. Unless you know for sure 100% that she's into them.

I like the idea of the craft bucket.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 250+/176/149

Height: 5'7"

Another vote for the crafty type stuff. There are a lot of crafty type kits out there marketed to this tween crowd - friendship bracelets, charm bracelets, etc. You can find them in big box discount retailers in the office products/greeting cards/crayons section.
hhichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Oh goodness the drones are moving to another queen? lol.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:24 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

The perfume thing sounds good. When my nieces were around that age, it was all about hair and makeup and nail polish. So I got them each a little purse and stuffed it FULL of those little $1 bottles of nail polish, little combs, hair brushes, etc. They LOVED it.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:44 PM   #9  
Be happy.

Fourth grade, right?
There are lots of good ideas here, but the 4th grade girls I know would love to mix their own perfumes.... even if they never wore any of it the whole mixing and experimenting would draw them in.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote