General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #1  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Default NaNoWriMo Support

Is any one doing NaNoWriMo in November? (NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month)

This is my second year.

Part of the culture of NaNoWriMo is to fuel 50,000 words in a month with caffeine and snacks. I got sucked into that last year and it contributed to my train wreck of weight gain. So, this year I want to fuel NaNoWriMo with exercise and healthy snacks. I'm hoping to find others, here, who could be a support group in that meeting that goal.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:35 AM   #2  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

i signed up for it! I'm trying to think of ideas on what to write.

this would be my first one. and i'd be happy to join in a support group w/ you!
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:11 AM   #3  
Fighting to be Fit

Height: 5'3.5" Age: 22

I'm definitely in! I had promised a friend I'd do it with them last year, but never got around to it. xD I want to actually stick to my goals, so I'm attempting it around my hectic schedule. Better to have written even a few pages then none at all and stay exactly where I always have been.
UrthWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:43 AM   #4  
No description available.

Let's do this thing!

50K? Butt in chair? Oh yeah!

In the past I have found I can either maintain my exercise/eating habits, or I can write, but not both. BUT, I know I spend way too much time surfing the internet, so if I cut that back I can use that butt in chair time for writing.

Yeah, I'm in!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #5  
Green Tomatoes

Hi, everyone! Glad to know there are other writers here!

My first NaNo food challenge is this Saturday afternoon. A bunch of us are getting together at a coffee house for a pre-planning meeting. We're always encouraged to buy something from the businesses that host us. I just checked the menu and the only thing on my plan is bottled water! So, bottled water it is.

I'll pack some nuts and dark chocolate chips in my laptop bag in case I get really hungry since this will go past my normal afternoon snack time. If I have to, I'll go outside and eat my packed snack. Kind of the equivalent of a smoke break for dieters!
Old 10-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #6  

Height: 6-1.5

I'll be full time college and full time work i don't have the time to write a novel-- but I did do it last year.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Me TOO. I've also promised myself that I'm going to join a local writer's group. The move (we're in an absolutely great apartment now) has distracted me from writing (I have about half a dozen novels started).

Last year, I bought a book called Book in a Month by Victoria Lynn Schmidt
In the book, it referenced the author's yahoo group (link below)

http://*************.com/group/VBIAMClub/

The book is designed so that you can do much of the work, in the book's worksheets. You could buy a new book for every writing project you do.
What's awesome, is that the yahoo group has printouts of all the "worksheet" portions of the book, so that isn't necessary. You really wouldn't have to buy the book at all, if you belong to the yahoo group (free), though I'd still recommend the book. It's a nice outlining tool.

For five years, I've thought of joining a local writers group, but have never gotten up the nerve. I think in honor of NaNoWRiMo, I'm going to bite the bullet and do it. Meeting every week could possibly keep the fires lit.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #8  
Green Tomatoes

Have you all chosen the story that you are going to work on for NaNoWriMo? I've just narrowed my list from four ideas down to two. I'm hoping to get it down to one over the weekend.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 10-09-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:43 PM   #9  
Fighting to be Fit

Height: 5'3.5" Age: 22

I have no idea what story I'm writing yet-- which is somewhat terrifying!!
I'm going to try and make up my mind over this following week, and get my basic outline together for the story.

Last edited by UrthWurm; 10-09-2009 at 06:43 PM.
UrthWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #10  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

I'm so happy to see all of you...
This is my first and I'm so excited... and a wellness challenge with it... what a great idea ! 50,000 words is a lot but I'm up for it..
I'm still unsure of what I'm going to write...
Good luck everyone
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #11  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

I was really into BIAM (Book in a month) 80,000 words in four weeks. And it was rough and lost motivation a week into it. 50,000 seems do-able even though the most i pulled in a month was around 20,000-25,000 but I wasn't trying my hardest.

I joined NaNo just now. I've heard of it before, but only after it ended last year, so I'm totally in this year. I know just what story I'm going to write, even though the plot is iffy and I have no end yet. (feels like it might be a bit epic) I'm urber excited.

I am worried because I just got right back on track with my weight loss. I don't want to be stuck behind the computer for my few hours of free time. I just have to remember to keep moving and work-outs to not count as free time, I have to do it every day just like I have to work and sleep every day.

I do munch when I write, chewing seems to help me think. I go though packs of gum, salt and butter free popcorn...(the kind I pop myself in a air popper) and pretzel sticks all seem to be the things that gets my brain thinking. So I'll have to be extra careful in November.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:58 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 124kg(272)/94kg(209)/70kg(154

Height: 5'5"

oh gosh.....I was just thinking earlier today that if I was going to participate this year, that I better get planning! I did the 50,000 word novel a few years back and it was actually quite a good experience. Ok, I'm off to the nanowrimo site to (hopefully) be inspired.
KrisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #13  
Green Tomatoes

It sounds like everyone is off to a good start with planning, both with the novel and how to stay healthy while doing NaNo.

I finally decided which story I'm going to work on. But haven't had much time since then to work with it. I did it last year with no more plot than I have right now, though, so I'm not too worried.

Thanks for the gum idea, Sakai. I just put that on the grocery list so that I can lay in a good supply before November.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #14  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

haven't got a freaking clue what to write... but i really want to participate and i signed up before this thread popped up. what do you guys do for inspiration? I really want to finalize my floating ideas into an outline so i have some guidance - before November 1. lol.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've got about a half dozen half-started novels (most are sci fi or fantasy), I do really well for about 3 chapters and then hit a wall (sometimes coming up with a "better idea" and taking that to chapter 3 and hitting a wall again. The last novel I started, I completely outline, figuring that if I had the plot mapped out to the end, I'd get over the chapter 3 hump. Not so much.

I have a notebook just for ideas for novels and other writing projects.

There are a lot of goode books that can help you get and flesh out an idea. Some of my favorite writing books (not all on idea generation).

45 Master Characters, Victoria Lynn Schmidt (author of Book in a Month that I talked about)

20 Master Plots (and How to Buld Them), Ronald Tobias

Steal This Plot: A Writer's Guide to Story Structure and Plagiarism, June Noble and William Noble

The Writer’s Idea Book, Jack Heffron

Also, books on the subject that I haven't read yet, but are on my list to buy or borrow from the library.

Story Starters: How to Jump-Start Your Imagination, Get Your Creative Juices Flowing, and Start Writing Your Story or Novel, Lou Willett Stanek (Author)

The Writer's Book of Matches: 1,001 Prompts to Ignite Your Fiction, The Editors of Fresh Boiled Peanuts

What If? Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers, by Anne Bernays & Pamela Painter

Last edited by kaplods; 10-15-2009 at 04:26 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote