General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #16  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I may not be able to get these decorations up this year with my surgery...but some of the neighbors have already stopped and asked if I am...but I wanted to share for those that haven't seen them and appreciate them....I understand not everyone does and that's ok too Also one from our church from last year.

Last edited by EZMONEY; 01-03-2010 at 05:43 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:12 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 337/ticker/320

Height: 5'7

EZ-that is a beautiful display, I do hope one of your "angels" is able to help you out with putting up your Jesus display!

lizziep-all your memories of Christmas past are so special. Always keep them close. Good for you, making new and keeping a few that are so special for you. I've also made those cinnamon ornaments, they are so yummy smelling

Thighs Be Gone- You have a Great Plan-Love it

I can remember One Christmas, did not have the money for a tree, the kids were teenagers and totally understood. One night, arrived home from work and my DD "made us a Christmas tree" out of cardboard and put an angel ornament on top. We called it our "Charlie Brown Christmas" to this day, someone always brings up that very special tree. I no longer have to divide my time between my family and in-laws, both sets of parents are gone miss them all so much, but when we lost the last grandparent 5 years ago, everyone comes here, now my kids have to do the parents/in-laws thing. Right now I'm okay with sharing them, but once the little pitter-platter of tiny feet enters the picture...hey who am I kidding, will still share. I think Christmas to me is special, I try not to get caught up in the material part of it, but I just Love driving around to see the beautiful displays, and I just LOVE Christmas Music, Love to Hear someone say Merry Christmas, I also Love to give and receive Christmas Cards. I also Love snow, BUT only Christmas Eve after all the kids are safely home and DH and I are sitting in the LR in the dark, watching the tree lights twinkle and the snow glistening in the street lights as it falls to the ground.
Institches21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #18  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

midnight mass, which my church does at midnight, ha. last year it rained like a typhoon, people still packed the church. it's the most popular service of the year. I love the music, and it gives me a chance to sing Christmas carols without too much embarrassment (so many people and the choir and organ, I essentially get drowned out, thank goodness, heh heh)

we'll do a secret santa from the church tree too.

this year I'm going to make goodie packages for my dad and brother in Calif.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #19  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

My sister exclaimed one day "I can't stand it, why does it all have to be in one day"? who says we have to run around and see every person on Christmas Evening or Christmas Day. Praying for just a little snow, not a speck of ice, hoping everyone will be on time for dinner... etc..

She has a lot of experience with last minute shopping, wrapping, cooking and cleaning... (she had one of those invisible hubbies) All that work for one day, and within a couple of hours the presents are ripped apart, the food was devoured and the house was a mess...
From that year on, we have spread the visiting part of the celebration over at least a week. Here's some of the 'free' or low cost things we've done to 'visit' ..

Grab a hot chocolate and visit a place that sells Christmas trees buy some 'greens' for last minute decoration, the scent will put you in a Christmas mood, watch other families pick out their trees...

Check around for neighborhood with decorated homes, usually when one family decorates it starts a little decoration 'war'... perhaps not the best year for extra electricity costs, but I'm still going to look around, the little kids love it...

There is an old fashioned theatre in Boston that shows It's a Wonderful Life, the old version, in black and white, complete with some crackles in the audio and a shutter or two on the film...

In the end, we feel like we've spent quality time with the family in a stress-free way.... If everyone sees each other again on Christmas Day it is wonderful, and if we don't.. its ok too...

Last edited by Sweetcaroline; 11-22-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #20  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

oh i forgot about that! we always piled into my grandpas van to go around the rich neighborhoods and look at the christmas lights.

the last few years, in an attempt to start our own traditions, my hubby decided we should go see a play or show during the holiday season. We saw the play of A Christmas Carol and Cirque du' OR (oregons version apparently? lol) and it's always fun to dress up nice and go to the theater and get in the holiday mood.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #21  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Thank you for showing us the pictures Gary, they look great !
I'm sure they will go up this year too... I know they will...
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:23 PM   #22  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

We do Christmas with my in-laws at Thanksgiving (which I detest) because my mother-in-law goes to Texas for the winter the day after. We have a similar gift exchange like lizziep (steal a gift), which is a lot of fun and we really enjoy it.

Have two kids in college and one at home, so we're always together for the holidays. Christmas Eve is usually lasagna and I like to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" before going to Midnight Mass (at midnight too) with my husband and kids. After getting home at about 1:30 am we usually open one gift. When the kids were little it was always their PJ's. Then go to bed and not get up too early for gift opening. I still put up stockings and fill them with candy and small items. We used to go to a tree farm and cut down our Christmas tree every year. Last two years we have used an artificial tree, so that is a big change for me. On Christmas Day we pack in the car and head to my parents an hour and a half away. There we'll give parents their gift and eat a big dinner. I have 8 brother & sisters and my mom has 24 grandchildren so it gets really loud and very crowded, but I wouldn't have it any other way. One of our traditions are cutout Christmas sugar cookies which I am expected to make (they're great) and I also make homemade bread and rum cake. The meal preparation is getting to be almost too much for my mom as she's getting older but she loves the family getting together.

We have always tended to buy our kids a lot of gifts, but as they get older I think we are buying less and less. This year I have warned everyone we are not buying as much stuff. We are just grateful that we are all together. We all have jobs and good health. Being a nurse I have to work every other major holiday, so I am also thankful this year that I have Christmas off. We start sending newborns home in large red Christmas stockings a week before the holiday. They're so adorable!

Last edited by murphmitch; 11-23-2009 at 06:23 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote