General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #1  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Handheld Ebook Readers for Kids?

I am trying to think ahead to Christmas. Both of my kids love to read & are under 10 yrs old. They are also quite experienced with technology. Is there such a thing as a portable ebook reader made especially for kids? I have looked and looked. Even just a basic portable ebook reader that doesn't cost an arm and a leg would suffice. Right now I don't see any under about $250.

As for me, I will be asking for this one for Christmas - the new "Nook" by Barnes & Noble. I think I salivated when I read the description. WANT.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/index.asp
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Disclaimer - I work for Sony.

That being said, I would recommend the PRS-300 Pocket Edition.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665921188

It's 200.00.

Right now, there really are only 3 big players - Kindle, Nook, Sony Reader. The more people that go digital, the cheaper the devices will become.

I am biased for Sony but I would have been their fan anyway due their commitment to help libraries go digital. Sony is the only device currently using ePub - which is what libraries and free book services like Google use. The selection is small now, but growing. I'd much rather support a device that will let me check out books from the library!

Last edited by Glory87; 11-04-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #3  

Interesting link I just ran across:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/18122...k_readers.html
Old 11-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #4  
Eyes on the Prize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Sony is the only device currently using ePub - which is what libraries and free book services like Google use. The selection is small now, but growing. I'd much rather support a device that will let me check out books from the library!
Hey girl! Glad to see someone chime in here. I think I am going to have to wait until next year for the kids (or whenever they come out with a kid version, which I am sure they will at some point). I just can't justify spending that kind of dough on just one of their presents. They are still young, so I like them to get lots of stuff on Christmas morning!

According to the B&N site, nook does support epub and ereader formats. It is in the chart here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/compare/

I am bummed that they only compare it to Kindle2, though.. it would be much better to compare to the Sony's, since Amazon doesn't support anything but their own format. I am off to look for a comparison of the nook & the Sony's - I had previously been drooling over the Sony's a month or so ago.

Thanks Glory!
Old 11-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #5  
Eyes on the Prize

For anyone who is interested, here is a comparison chart of the current popular ebook readers:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/10/20...-ereader-race/

I think the Sony is awesome for what I need, but wow what a price difference. They may have to come down on the price to remain competitive. Glory.. can ya work me a 50% discount? LOL!
Old 11-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #6  

I love my Kindle. But glad to see there are others out there!! You will love wichever you choose.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:23 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWings View Post
For anyone who is interested, here is a comparison chart of the current popular ebook readers:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/10/20...-ereader-race/

I think the Sony is awesome for what I need, but wow what a price difference. They may have to come down on the price to remain competitive. Glory.. can ya work me a 50% discount? LOL!
I've heard conflicting reports if the Nook can read the same ePub format that is offered by Google and libraries - we shall see when the product is actually for sale!

The Sony Reader in that chart is the brand new Daily Edition, which wont be on sale until December. It has wireless (and the ability to subscribe to periodicals) and has a big, nice touch screen. Sony's PRS-300 Pocket Edition and PRS-600 Touch Edition aren't listed on that chart and they are both cheaper.

Sadly, we don't even get a 50% discount, but I did buy my PRS-505 (last year's model) on sale. I love to read and love my Reader, but I read too much to use it often. I check about 96% of the books I read out of the library. My reader is mainly for travel, because it's soooo nice to take a "stack of books" in my purse.

Notice the chart - Sony is the only one working with libraries. Since I'm a die-hard library fan, I would support Sony no matter what! I did see the chart didn't mention that the Daily Edition also works with periodicals (duh, the name!) Digital Edition also has a built-in dictionary. Don't know a word? Click the word and the definition displays. You can take notes and export them as well.*

I would love to upgrade to the Daily Edition for the touch screen (have no need for wireless, you can take so many books with you, it's not like I'm ever OHMYGOD must buy a book this second!) but I dont know if I will, due to price.

*I'm sure you're thinking I'm a huge geek, but I write online training materials for Sony and have written the training module for PRS-300 and PRS-600 and will start working on the Daily Edition shortly. I don't just memorize tech facts for funsies!
Old 11-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #8  
Eyes on the Prize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
*I'm sure you're thinking I'm a huge geek, but I write online training materials for Sony and have written the training module for PRS-300 and PRS-600 and will start working on the Daily Edition shortly. I don't just memorize tech facts for funsies!
You know, why can't they come up with a standard DRM format - or even just 2 standard formats??? This business of different DRMs within common formats for specific companies gets very confusing. After further reading, it is unclear exactly which DRMs within the epub format are supported - and that's really a deal breaker for lots of people. I guess I will wait until it comes out to see if people are having problems with it! I agree about the whole library thing. The fact that I could check out a book with my reader is phenomenal and would be something I would want!

I don't think you are a huge geek. If you are, I am one, too.. I like to know pretty much everything about something before I buy it and why it is the way it is vs. other similar products. Cool that you write training modules - in my last career I wrote training materials and trained businesses on how to use their proprietary software & Microsoft Office. My current career is a stay-at-home mom