Tell me about your washer/dryer

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So I might be moving soon, and part of the move will be replacing my shakey, noisy old top-loading washer. I would probably go ahead and get a matching dryer as well, because I'm a matching washer/dryer kind of gal.

I'm pretty sure I want a front-loader, but the reviews are all over the place. I was looking at Whirlpool (hopefully it's OK to mention brands here?) but sometimes you'll see a 5 star review ("Love it! It's great!") and then the very same model will get a 1 star ("Hate the stupid thing, it costs a fortune in repairs!"). So....do you have a front loader washer/dryer set? How did you go about choosing? Do you stack your unit? Are you happy with it? Inquiring minds want to know!
  • I recently replaced my ancient washer & dryer and had the same questions. I went with a new top loader washer and matching dryer. My sister has a front loader and constantly complained that she had to wipe it out carefully quite often because water would get trapped in the gasket area of the door and leave a moldy odor. She paid a fortune for that front loader & has had the repair service out several times & it's not even 2 years old. I read the same complaint in various reviews.

I also like not having to bend over to get the clothes out of the washer.
  • I recently got a front loader washer (but kept our old dryer), and I definitely agree with the comment about the moldy odor if the gasket is not dried out. But otherwise we love it. No repairs in six months, and the clothes are less wet when we put them in the dryer, so they need less time in the dryer.
  • I bought a new Maytag set 7 years ago. It is a top loading washer and one of the cheaper sets. I love the set. It came from the Maytag store and the reviews were as high as the expensive ones. I hear the U.S. is going to front loading only nowadays. I hope not. Also, I want to keep my high-energy consuming lightbulbs. We only turn on lights in the evenings and I hate the NRG saving ones. YUCKY! Don't even get me started on my complaints about low water toilets!!!
  • Oh yeah - I want to flush with AUTHORITY. Love the energy saving lightbulbs though, we made the switch last year!
  • I have a new front load Samsung washer and dryer set on pedestals. After a month I love them, but can't speak about the longevity. These are the mid-priced ones, not the Steam. With only 3 adults in the home I couldn't see paying so much more for added features, but am happy with what I did buy. (no odors so far)
    I was very un-happy with a Maytag top loader I had for only 3 years. Never was a good purchase....and I was so excited to put ALL Maytag appliances in our new home. Big mistake. The bum stove is another story...I just hope the fridge, dishwasher and micro hold up...ugh.
  • Moving/renovation story ... I had to get (cheaply, quickly, fit in ...) a washer and dryer. I got a smallish Moffat front load, stacking set.

I love the front load and the stacking aspects.
    No repairs in ... I think ... over 2 years.
    I, too, have that musty water puddle in the gasket.
    It's not as efficient as my SIL's. I'll find out what kind hers is and get back to you.
    If there was just me and DH, I think i'd like it just fine. But it's not really good enough for young adult sons and their heavy sweat shirts, jeans and work clothing.
    In the last couple of weeks, I've finally found a detergent (and additives) that I like very much.

Next time around, I will spend more and get a heavier, good name set.
    Talk to friends and relatives who have good looking laundry I wish I had listened to my SIL and not been too proud to use my credit card.
  • WARNING! HUGE RANT AHEAD!!!

I have an LG front loading washer and dryer. My husband and I purchased them in May of 2007. I loved them for about 3 months. We spent about $2000 on both of them. Now I HATE HATE HATE the washer. Black mold constantly grows on the rubber gasket of the door, in the basket where you place the detergent, and lord knows where else in the machine. After every load, you need to wipe down the machine with a rag, and when you are finished you need to leave the door open (a major inconvenience depending on where your washer is located). Once to twice a month you need to run a "sanitize" cycle, which is the hottest water setting, no clothes in the washer, and it lasts an hour and a half (All of these are in the owners manual, but the sales person did not tell us about it.) I'm not sure HOW it saves me money on water and electricity when you have to run that. Also, My towels have started to stink once they get wet, deodorant is not coming out of our shirts, and any stain made by my 19 month old will not come out unless I HAND WASH them first. I spend more time doing laundry then I ever have in my life. I do not over stuff my washer.
    We did a lot of research to figure out how to clean out our washer and make our towels smell better. It. Is. Ridiculous. Most resolutions involve washing the towels in vinegar, running them with regular detergent, then running your washing machine empty. When we called LG to complain, they made it very clear that mold meant that I must be a poor housekeeper. I WAS LIVID! and ready to throw the machine out of the second story window. They told me to wipe machine and leave door open (already doing that). and to BUY ANOTHER PRODUCT TO KEEP THE MACHINE CLEAN. This product costs about $10 for three little packets. You run your machine on the sanitize cycle with this special powder and is is supposed to magically clean out the machine. LG recommended doing it every 3-5 days. That would cost me an extra $40 a month. Next they recommended putting my water heater on the highest heat setting. NOT AN OPTION with a BABY! Once again... how on earth is this energy efficient? LG customer service was NO HELP.
    We did get the extended warranty from the store where we purchased the washer and dryer. We have called them, and they say they have "never heard of this before." Something I find very hard to believe, considering there is a class action lawsuit against almost all front loading washing machine companies, and as you have pointed out, many people have complained about them. They are going to be out here next week to look at the machine.
    I have come to the conclusion that there is an obvious design flaw in home use front loaders. I never remember having this much trouble with a top loading machine. The idea that black mold is growing in something that I need to use almost everyday disgust me. I feel conned because everyone talks about how much money you save in the long run, and so far all it's done is leave me in tears.
    One last thing. If you do decide to get a front loader, BUY THE STOOL that goes underneath. The salesman told us it wasn't necessary, so we didn't get it. However, with front loaders, about 3-4 times a month you need to drain the drum. There is a little compartment with the drainage tube is almost flush to the floor. There is no way for us to drain it unless we place a rag in the floor and let it leak out. If we had bought the stool, we could have placed a bowl or dish to catch the water.

The next time we get a machine, it will be an energy efficient top loader.

As for the dryer? Well. it works wonderfully. That's why I don't think it's the brand... I think it's the design of the washers.
  • About the doors! My niece has a 2 1/2 year old. She leaves the door open and the machine unplugged because the default takes five minutes to unlock the door ... even if there's a toddler in the machine!
  • Yikes, Susan that is SCARY! The stories about mold and stink are what scare me. Yet my sister has two front-loaders; one at her home and one at their little weekend cabin. Thus far, she loves them although she did have trouble with one smelling funny till she realized she was supposed to use different detergent.

I don't want to make a 2000 dollar mistake! This place I could be moving into doesn't have a real laundry room; it has a little closet where the washer and dryer go. So it might be tough to leave the washer door open unless I also want to leave the little closet doors open. But I wanted something that stacks because I thought I could use the other side of the closet for the kitty box.
  • Windchime, I know folks that have stackables and really like them. You can get full-sized nowadays in those things. In a townhouse we once lived in, we had a tiny stackable. I liked it just fine--not a problem.

I also wonder if you could hang a tension rod between the stackable and your wall. That way there would be room for kitty's box below and some hanging space above kitty.
  • My SIL's is a Whirlpool.

washer...LHW0050PQ....dryer....LEW0050PQ

She's had it since 2006 and has no problems.
  • Wow, I'm shocked at some of the problems with front loaders... I've had a Whirlpool Elite HT (front loader and matching dryer) for 3 years - maybe more - and love it. I've wiped out the gasket thingy once since I've had the machine, never leave the door open and I've never had to drain the drum. No problem opening the doors on either machine; there's a "pause/cancel" button that unlocks them. Good luck, Windchime; let us know what you decide!

ETA: I grew up in Scotland; in Europe, front loaders have been popular for decades. My mum's had one for 30 years (not the same one ) and never had a problem with them.
  • i love my frontloader
  • After doing a lot of research, some from Consumer Reports, we purchased a Kenmore from Sears, front loader. I think the entire set cost around $1200. The dryer we purchased was one level down from the washer. When we asked the salesman about the difference between the two dryers, he said there really wasn't much difference other than $150 dollars. They have been going for over 2 years and they are great! No problems at all.

Oh and unlocking? It takes about 2 seconds and the only time the washer/dryer actually lock is when they are actively working. If they are powered off/load not started, they aren't locked.