Hospital PRN employees- do you have to work holidays?

• Hi all,

I was just wondering how other hospitals use their PRN (as needed) employees on the holidays.
    Are you required to work holidays? if so, how many? as many as full-time employees?
    At my work, the full-time employees have to work 2 shifts during the holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day).
    I'm PRN and receive no benefits and they're asking me to work 2 holiday shifts also.
    I'm just curious as to what other people have to do.

Thanks
  • I am not PRN but I believe that ours have to work 4 weekends and 2 holidays a year to stay on pay roll.
  • where i work prn staff are required to work one winter holiday and one summer holiday. full time work every other holiday
  • I'm not casual (PRN) but the staff at my hospital who are work when they like. No requirements. That's the attraction. There's so few staff and so may positions around that the hospital can't afford to put limitations on, because these people would simply go elsewhere.
  • I'm no longer at a hospital, but our PRN people had to work one winter & one summer holiday too. They generally got to choose which holidays to work.
  • Our workers are call contingent, and no, they don't work holidays.
  • We call them "casual" and they are not contractually obligated to work at all.
  • Thanks everyone for your replies.
    Looks like it varies somewhat.
    I heard back form the Human Resources dept today and they told me that there are no written rules as to what hours/shifts/etc. that PRN employees have to work.
    So I guess I can turn them down if I want too!
    I don't know why I feel bad when they ask me to work and I tell them no.
    My biggest problem is that this year, they had to cut back on personnel and I got cut about $8000 worth of income this year. So, now I'm kind of bitter that they want me to give up my holidays and work for them. Oh well, I guess I should be glad that I have a job, even though it's about half of what I worked last year.

Thanks again
  • In our hospital, it depends on the department. In my department, my director does not require them to work holidays. There are minimum shift requirements and they do have to work so many hours on a weekend per month, but no holidays required.