What Do You Buy Again And Again On Vacations?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Wherever I am, I usually buy the same kinds of things to take home with me ... fancy homemade soaps with beautiful designs and wonderful fragrance, magnetic shopping lists for my fridge, earrings and kitchen towels with the local name on them. (I'm trying to use only towels from places I've traveled, eventually!) What do you buy?
  • Shoes
    I like to pick up pottery and leather goods as well. I brought a large fruit bowl back from Spain, had it in my bag as carry on, yikes, it was big....lol

I also am interested in books that describe the local historical sites I've visited.
  • we always come home with books books books!! and since where we usually go on vacation is near an outlet mall... clothes!
  • I should have included books in my list as well. Those about the historical stuff we see, and local cookbooks and travel books.
  • books, especially cookbooks, and since we usually go to Italy, lotsof Parmegiano cheese, which costs about half of what it costs at home.
    Also some nice wines, balsamico and Vin Santo, which is actually a dessert wine, but I don't use it for drinking (too sweet for me) butin Tuscany it is used in cooking, especially tomato sauces. A small amount cuts the acidity of the tomatoes.
  • Postcards. I have a serious postcard addiction.

I also enjoy books - although they're so heavy, so I'm trying to limit the amount of books I buy.

Actually, with the exception of postcards and the occasional book I am absolutely notorious for coming home with tons of gifts and later realizing I didn't buy myself anything! Living abroad right now, I keep reminding myself that I need to spend my money on something for me to remember the year by!
  • Local soap! And generally more books than we can read.
  • I always buy local spices and foods, whatever the region is best known for. I bought paprika and saffron from spain this year, canned foie gras and salami from paris, mustards and teas from london.
  • wow - you guys are talking about bringing home things from abroad and i mention my exciting trip to the outlet mall. lol.
    i need to travel!!!
  • Aah ... now I've been reminded of the teas I bring home as well. Just paid $8 for cranberry tea at Plimoth Plantation in Mass. Not worth the money, I'm afraid ...

Thanks for all these replies ... keep 'em coming!
  • I usually by some sort of trinket that indicates where I've been. A shot glass, decorative plate, key chain, etc....
  • Purses! I've been known to buy one every time we go on vacation.
    I also love visiting nook and cranny places, like bookstores, coffee houses with gift shops, small yards sales, etc.
  • Oh, I forgot.. since we almost always vacay in the mountains of Gatlinburg, I bring home some fudge. Om nom nom.
    I can't do that next time, though.
  • Usually little nicknacks for the family.... stuff that kinda represents the area, wherever it may be. Anything from ashtrays to tee shirts to shot glasses to key chains.... basically whatever catches my fancy.
  • This is SOOO cheesy. BUT!

I collect the little tiny spoons from different destinations. I have done lots and lots of lots of traveling. They are small and I actually USE them--each time I have a get together and I make up my "coffee" center I put them out for guests. They are real conversation starters and people love looking through them to see where we've been. I use one daily for myself too. I do NOT display them!

I also collect exquisite small things that can be put into my curio. I sometimes will get a small ornament for the tree too marked with the destination of said place.