General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #1  

Default advice on fun in New York City

I will be leaving for NYC next week for 5 days.This is a yearly trip for me.I usually spent a lot of time walking, going to central park, broadway shows....Just curious if anyone has any reccomendations on any shows currently on broadway, great restaurants or any "must see" activities.Thanks!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

Ohhh...there was this neat wine bar that was like high tech or something...maybe someone will know it! It looked really interesting and "hip" even though I'm not hip I thought "hmmmm...might be a fun time."...I think it was like Clo Wine Bar...something like that, saw it on NonStop NYC and it looked cool.

Last edited by Jacquie668; 10-01-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

There is a great show called Stomp that plays downtown, it is a must-see high energy percussive dance show. You'll love it.

http://www.stomponline.com/

If you walk a little west of the theater there is a cool neighborhood called Alphabet City (Avenue A, Avenue B, etc) that is an upandcoming trendy area for restaurants, wine bars, and clubs.

You can't come to NY and not see either the Modern Museum of Art (MoMA), or the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

The Yankees are in the post season so if you can get tickets that may be fun. Hockey season has just started so you may be able to get tickets for the Rangers at Madison Square Garden.

Here's a website of all the different places in ny, it could be a starting point.

http://www.thingstodo.com/states/NY/nyc.htm

On often overlooked area is the meatpacking district, very cool restaurants and pubs.

If you like Asian food then head down to 6th street, it's like a Little Japan. Or go further down to Canal Street and hang out in the exotic streets of Chinatown.... Little Italy is stationed in the middle of China town on Mulberry Street so you can have dumplings and cannolis all in the same day.

The true beauty of NY really begins about an hour north of the city. NY State is really a beautiful New England staple, autumn being the best time. If you have access to a car while here I'd be happy to give you more info on hiking and other activities to do outside the city.

Whatever you do stay away from Times Square. Overpriced and kitchy, it's an area that New Yorkers stay away from.

Also, check out Time Out NY, it's a magazine but it's also online and it's the best source for all events and activities going on in NY from music to theater to art, to dining, to so much more.

Last edited by Palestrina; 10-01-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

Oh and the Museum of Natural History and like ^^ said the art museums. Oh yeah! I remember when I went to NYC during a Picasso exhibit...it was so nice and I love art, so it was so much fun. I didn't get to see MoMA though, but I hope to go back to NYC someday in the future. Now that I'm able to walk around and such...yay! I'm taking notes too! lol TY Wannabeskinny!

Last edited by Jacquie668; 10-01-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #5  

WAY north in Manhattan is the Cloisters museum. It's the medieval branch of the Met and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! It's in beautiful Fort Tryon park. There is an A express train that runs up there (it's the 190th street stop). There is also an overpriced but very cute cafe in the park. It looks like it came out of a storybook. And the admission you pay at the Cloisters will also get into the main branch of the Met on the UES for the same day.
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffany0809 View Post
WAY north in Manhattan is the Cloisters museum. It's the medieval branch of the Met and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! It's in beautiful Fort Tryon park. There is an A express train that runs up there (it's the 190th street stop). There is also an overpriced but very cute cafe in the park. It looks like it came out of a storybook. And the admission you pay at the Cloisters will also get into the main branch of the Met on the UES for the same day.
Did u know that you could get into the MET with only a donation? The ridiculous price of their tickets is only a "suggestion." Just walk up to the ticket counter, hand over a dollar (or $5, or a nickel, or a dime) and ask for one ticket and you shall receive it. Remember, it's one of the most funded museums in America, so it is for the public, I don't feel bad about paying a dollar each time I go.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:01 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I went to NYC a few weeks ago and we saw Wicked which was great. If you like 80s music, they have a show based on that which I think my husband would like so I may take him next time.

I love the Met and also went and visited MOMA last time which I loved.

It was funny that the first time I went to NYC, I totally hated it, other than the show I saw (Mama Mia). So I kind of dreaded this most recent trip but I had a great time just walking around, shopping, etc.

I did want to go to the Cloisters but I didn't get a chance. It sounded great.

If you want vegetarian food recs, I can give those but I'm guessing no I had great vegan food while I was there.

Oh and if you like the Daily Show or the Colbert Report, I heard you can get standby tickets if you haven't gotten them ahead of time. You could also email them and tell them you are coming and ask if they happen to have tickets already. I'd love to go sit on either of those shows.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #8  

Thanks everyone!Would love tips on vegan eating also.Did try Zen Palette last time....goood!!Also did email Jon Stewart....no reply so far
Old 10-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Just go up to the box office on the day you want to go! (Monday through Thursday).

Caravan of Dreams was awesome. We went to Mooshoes (a vegan shoe store) and then walked to Caravan of Dreams. Most of their food was on the healthier side and oh so good. The place I didn't get a chance to go was Moaz which is a falafel place (yes fried chickpea balls) http://www.maozusa.com/

Supervegan.com is a great resource for vegetarian and vegetarian friendly restaurants
http://supervegan.com/restaurants.php

I didn't go there but I heard Candle 79 is a nice place for a really nice dinner. I'm a more casual girl though. Cafe Blossom is supposed to be really good too and a casual place.

Last edited by nelie; 10-01-2009 at 11:21 AM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #10  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Spring Awakening was amazing. I'm pretty much in love with musicals in general, but Spring Awakening was different - a very interesting combination of modern style music with a storyline set in I think the early 1900s. I absolutely loved it.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #11  

I saw Spring Awakening last fall in NYC!!!You are correct...amazing.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #12  

Wannabeskinny-Thanks for the great ideas.Love to hear from the locals...so much different that what the tourists would reccomend.I leave Sunday.Did get tickets for Letterman.Looking online at all the shows...so much to choose from.
Thanks everyone!
Old 10-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #13  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

If you get to Manhattan look for my step-d...she'll be in a bar/club....
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
If you get to Manhattan look for my step-d...she'll be in a bar/club....
ROFL EZ
And...if preseason NBA is on tv....watch for me at the Celtics game TuesdayIll be the one in green..........
Old 10-09-2009, 11:40 PM   #15  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

okie-dokie
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote