General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/234/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Uh-oh.. costume party..

Halloween is just around the corner.. I avoid this "holiday" like the plague, I hate it!
My fiancee and I were invited to a party and he really wants to go, he's so excited.
I hate dressing up though! It seems like if you buy a pre-made plus size costume you have ugly witch or too sexy.
Some women pull those sexy ones off but I don't have that confidence!
Do you ladies have any diy suggestions for a cute costume???
nicollem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Grapes

just get purple or green ballons and attach them to your body... I want to be it but I feel like everyone would be so annoyed with me and pop all my ballons
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #3  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Pixie!!
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

A Disney villain, such as Cruella DeVille
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I love Halloween and costume parties. I always try to use my size as part of the costume. For some reason, it makes me less self-conscious.

About 12 years ago, I bought a "tavern wench" pattern (Simplicity still makes the pattern, it just no longer goes to a size 30/32, I think the highest size now is 24/26 I think) and made myself a skirt, chemise, and bodice (I used cheap fabric, and took a lot of short-cuts - I made the waistband elastic, rather than set-in with a zipper, for example).

I used that costume every year until I got rid of it,because it looked so awesome, and I got such positive male attention (you can't beat big girl cleavage). I regret giving it away when we moved to Wisconsin five years ago.

My plans for this year is to go as Brunhilde, the Viking opera singer in the Wagnerian operas. Horned hat, side braids, and (if I can pull off making it) breast plate armor. If I can't pull it off for this year, I'm going to start working on it for next year (we just moved into a new apartment, and with all the moving expenses and the unpacking we have to do, I might have to find something simpler and easier to put together). I can always omit the breast plate, or buy a couple yards of gold mesh and go for "chain mail".

I already have the base dress I bought from Holy Clothing, and the horned helmet. If I don't get to the armor this year, I'll just omit the helmet and wear the dress as a basic early renaissance costume.

Or, I may go as a "fairy godmother." In 1991, I had a short story published in a woman's magazine for plus size women (BBW - Big Beautiful Women). It's a parody of the Cinderella story, and the fairly god mother is very plump, with tiny little wings. I bought some butterflies from the dollar store to use for a craft project, and the wings are about ten inches in diameter. I'll pin them to the back of the dress between the shoulder blades.

If you like flowy BOHO style clothing, I really recommend the Holy Clothing site, because you can wear the clothing beyond Halloween. They're great for renaissance, gypsy, fairy, and princess costumes. And they're SO comfortable, the dresses also make nice loungewear or nightgowns.

One thing though, they use very old-fashioned dyes, so you want to wash the garment(s) before you wear or they can actually dye your skin if you sweat. Wash them in a load by themselves also because the color will bleed onto other clothing.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 280/183/165

Height: 5'10

kaplods - awesome ideas, but I find myself shocked! You mention moving to Wisconsin - you're considering dressing as a Viking while living in Packers-land? After tonight's game that might not be the wisest choice!

Nicollem - My mom used to make all of our costumes when we were growing up - I have 2 siblings, so she would always try to think of some kind of theme (we were the three blind mice one year, for example). Is there something that you and your fiancee can do together as a couple? It doesn't have to be hard - what about Bugs Buggy and Elmer Fudd? Or Tom and Jerry? Mickey and Minnie? Sid and Nancy? With a quick trip to the Salvation Army store and some basic sewing skills, and some mouse/bunny ears etc, you could have a fun costume that you wouldn't have to feel awkward wearing!
funnycanadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnycanadiangirl View Post
kaplods - awesome ideas, but I find myself shocked! You mention moving to Wisconsin - you're considering dressing as a Viking while living in Packers-land? After tonight's game that might not be the wisest choice!
LOL, The team affiliation never crossed my mind. I guess football is the last thing I think of "when the fat lady sings."
Old 10-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #8  

BTW, Here's the dress I bought (except mine is a 5X in green).

I love all of the clothing on the site (they sell through ebay and their website holyclothing.com), and it's so comfy, and the drape is beautiful. Most aren't really my "every day" style, or I'd be buying from them every payday.

The tops would look cute with jeans, though.

The tops and skirts would make a great fortune teller costume.

I love the Juliet dress, too. I almost bought the silver as my wedding dress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ren dress.jpg (17.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 10-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #9  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

youtube.

http://www.parentdish.com/2007/10/29...tally-awesome/
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote