3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Discovery Health "Half-Ton" shows (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/183365-discovery-health-half-ton-shows.html)

Serendipity 10-04-2009 10:35 PM

Discovery Health "Half-Ton" shows

I'm watching Discovery Health's "Half-Ton Teen" show right now, and it is SO SAD! Denial is a painfully strong emotion, and the show makes a point of showing how the family is (consciously or unconsciously) enabling the child to continue habits that are getting/keeping them severely obese. Sometimes I think we (or at least I, I shouldn't assume others feel the same way) forget that we're not the only ones living with our weight and resultant health risks or problems. Yes, we're physically carrying the weight, but our loved ones also watch us struggle and are impacted by our choices for good or bad. I know that people always say, "Don't lose weight for someone else, you have to do it for yourself!" but I find that the knowledge of how my weight issues can affect the people I love is also a huge motivator for change. I don't want them to lose me sooner than absolutely necessary, especially if the loss is because of issues that could have been controlled or avoided completely with proper diet and exercise. Has anyone watched these shows (I know they've had this one, Half-Ton Dad, and some others)? What did you think?

shcirerf 10-04-2009 10:57 PM

I've got it on too, I've watched it before. It is sad.

In Billy's case, his biggest problem is his mother. Very unhealthy relationship.

I was watching the Brookhaven Obesity hospital show earlier today.

Totally bizarre stories. People who became bedbound because of obesity, and yet continued to gain weight. Someone is feeding them. :( Horribly dysfunctional. These people end up there weighing 600-700-800+ pounds.:dizzy:

I remember thinking, these families need a dose of Jillian. I know she yells like he**, but maybe that's what some need instead of the "Oh poor me/you/us" monkey business.

But it is truly sad.

Windchime 10-04-2009 11:44 PM

I agree with your assessment of Billy's situation, Shcirerf. It made me sick the way his mother hovered around, talked baby-talk to him, and not only enabled his bad eating habits but bought all the food and served it up to him while he laid in front of the TV. That was a really, really dysfunctional relationship. I think I've seen that show several times; it makes me wonder how he is doing nowadays.

AR4life 10-05-2009 12:15 AM

It's very sad :( When I watch those shows I wonder how other people in their lives could let this happen? Where are the doctors? relatives? doesn't anyone else see the damage being done? Sad.

Palestrina 10-05-2009 09:42 AM

Last night's Half-Ton Mother was hard to watch. She is in complete denial of her situation it seems. She claimed that she's not like other obese people because she can partially sit up, has a small waist, and a flat stomach. ?????? She also claims that obese people don't smell bad and sometimes she has to force herself to eat because she eats so little. ????? I'm not understanding the situation it seems but how can any of that be true? Her sides are ooozing pus yet she can't see that far around her body. How can someone with so many folds on their body, unable to wash themselves or even go to the toilet not be odorous?

What's worse is the family around her, feeding feeding feeding. If someone is unable to get up out of bed then someone has to be supplying the food for them.