General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/140

Height: 5'8''

Question shady scales

Hi all! So I have a question and wasn't exactly sure where to post about this. I've been using a pretty crappy $5 scale over the past year and according to that scale I've weighed about 155. Well then I splurged and spent $15 on an electronic scale lol and that one says I'm 150.5. I find this pretty hard to believe because I feel like I've put on more than 10 pounds the last 2 years. So which one do you think I should believe? I'm not getting to the doctor's office anytime soon and they always make you get on the scale with all your clothes on anway. I'd like to believe that I weigh 150 because then I'll only have 10 pounds to lose instead of 15 but I'm having a real hard time believing the new scale

~D~

Last edited by duqserb; 09-09-2009 at 09:45 PM.
duqserb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/155/140

STOP DRIVING YOURSELF NUTS!!! I am a tried and true chepoooooooooo but as soon as I decided to start taking care of myself I spent a whole(brace yourself) $25 on a decent scale. So , box that one right back up and get a new one just to make sure...it is not worth your sanity!!!!!!!!!
Jokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #3  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Seriously..... I LOVE LOVE LOVE my $29 (free shipping on Amazon!) Eatsmart digi scale... it's AMAZING. At least then you'd know that you're not nuts when you see what number it gives!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

If you were to open up an old-fashioned scale with the arm that sweeps around to the weight when you stand on it, you would see a series of springs. Springs get old, twisted and worn out. I had one many years ago. If I didn't like the reading, I'd get off and get back on in a different spot. Worked every time! A digital scale is the way to go.
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 164/164/120

Height: 5'0"

Try finding something heavy that you know the exact weight of (new big bag of dog food or cat litter, some barbells in a box) to test it.

I agree about the digital ones being more accurate, but even then sometimes I can get on and off three times in succession and get three different answers.
tiggycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #6  
Finding my wings...

I got an Eatsmart scale from Amazon and you can literally get off and on 5 times and you'll get the EXACT pound and ounce each time. And no, it doesn't store the weight. It's TOTALLY worth the 30 bucks you spend on it.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #7  

Ook yeah so I put my 15 pound barbell on the scale and it won't read it...WHY I have no idea. I thought that was the answer when I read to put something on there that you know the exact weight haha Well it's not like I spent THAT much money on this new, only $20 and I did just pull the receipt out of the garbage haha So should I return it then ya think??

~D~
Old 09-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 164/164/120

Height: 5'0"

Hi dugserb, I'm the one that recommended that test.

I just tried it and mine doesn't read out if you put a barbell on by itself, but it does work with a few smaller barbells in a canvas bag or a big bag of cat food. Maybe something to do with the weight distribution?

While I was there I checked my own weight and got five different answers!

My scale is Homedics and was around $65, but it includes a body fat calculator.
tiggycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #9  

Well I think I am going to return it tomorrow because I just stepped on it and it said I weighed 133!! HA...I doubt I lost 15 pounds in a day :-p So back to Target I go tomorrow and then I'll probably just end up buying the scale that you have Amanda. You are best friend and everything so if the scales works for you it should work for me too lol So it's the eatsmart digi scale? The first one that pops up is like $28 something..that's the one you have?

~D~
Old 09-11-2009, 12:53 AM   #10  
Finding my wings...

Though we already talked about this via text... yes....

Also... you'd better take that scale back to Target and get your money back! Before I got the Eatsmart one, I bought a digi body scale from Walmart and it wouldn't even work at all! That DEFINITELY went right back!
Old 09-11-2009, 04:28 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 220/189/145

Height: 5'4

If you have Wii Fit i find that better for weighing than scales... it deducts the weight of clothes and also tells you your B.I. You can also see a progress chart which i find really helpfull.
sophiebean is offline   Reply With Quote