General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-18-2009, 12:39 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Nelie: EXACTLY! Everyone is so blown-up about the Vick thing, that the Stallworth thing is just slipping through the cracks. (I blame the media for this one.)

He was driving early one morning with a confirmed BAL above the legal limit and hit a pedestrian who died as a result. He plays for the Cleveland Browns. And his name is Donte, not Dante, as I've been typing. Sorry about that.

Last edited by Kim_Star060404; 08-18-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:40 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 240/150

Height: 5'8

deffentally not,i compete in dog shows with my dogg,there are some days where you feel like flipping out and loosing your cool,but they need to be treated the same as us.....im not a big fan of pit bulls but there still a living thing and you need to respect every living thinggg....i never watch micael and i never will
nikaylabramwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #48  

donte stallworth is allowed to play football after serving 24 days in jail after he got drunk and murdered at man.. so vick should be able to play to.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #49  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitenurse View Post
donte stallworth is allowed to play football after serving 24 days in jail after he got drunk and murdered at man.. so vick should be able to play to.
Two wrongs don't make a right.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #50  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Kim - To be fair, I haven't really had much media exposure. I have been paying attention to what the ASPCA, Best Friends (which is the national shelter that took in the abused pit bulls) and HSUS have been saying.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 229/SeeTicker/155

Height: 5' 9"

Neither Stallworth or Vick should play in the NFL ever again. These athletes are role models for kids, however they become such and WHETHER they should be or not.

Even though Stallworth drove drunk, and killed someone, which is utterly HORRIBLE (and he should have done MUCH LONGER jail time), he did not intentionally kill someone. Michael Vick intentionally killed dogs for five years, and derived pleasure from it. In my book, that's worse!
babenwaiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #52  

Quote:
Originally Posted by babenwaiting View Post
Neither Stallworth or Vick should play in the NFL ever again. These athletes are role models for kids, however they become such and WHETHER they should be or not.
Here's the big question, though. Why? Why are they role models and why are we holding them to higher standards than the rest of the world? Would you feel the same way if Vick was just a doorman at a hotel that loved his job? Why is it SUCH a big deal that they are football players?

When I was a kid, I looked up to the garbage men, that's right, the garbage men. They were good, hard-working men and always waved hello, never missed a route and etc. I also looked up to David Robinson but not Dennis Rodman. That's because my parents taught me that it was important to look up to someone with integrity, honesty, compassion, loyalty, faithfulness and etc. Athletes shouldn't be role models to our kids just because they're athletes, but that seems to be the message I'm hearing. If a child idolizes a criminal just because he can throw a football, I think that is the parent's fault for not teaching that child that good values should be what determines who our role models should be.

Last edited by Kim_Star060404; 08-18-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #53  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

I dont really watch football that much only during the playoffs and I would watch him play because he paid his debt to society and who am I to judge and not forgive someone for something that they did. Everyone makes mistakes and wrong is wrong no sin is bigger than the other so if god can forgive you and me why cant we forgive another human being. If you dont want to watch him play that is a personal choice but I think its wrong to judge or state how sorry a person is or isnt. Everyone handles emotions differently and even though I am kind and loving to animals there are lots of people that disagree. Every human isnt animal lovers heck many celebs wear furs of all kinds and even though they didnt actually kill the animal buy wearing furs they are supportting animal cruelty if you ask me. And Im sure many people still support them
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #54  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim_Star060404 View Post
Here's the big question, though. Why? Why are they role models and why are we holding them to higher standards than the rest of the world? Would you feel the same way if Vick was just a doorman at a hotel that loved his job? Why is it SUCH a big deal that they are football players?

When I was a kid, I looked up to the garbage men, that's right, the garbage men. They were good, hard-working men and always waved hello, never missed a route and etc. I also looked up to David Robinson but not Dennis Rodman. That's because my parents taught me that it was important to look up to someone with integrity, honesty, compassion, loyalty, faithfulness and etc. Athletes shouldn't be role models to our kids just because they're athletes, but that seems to be the message I'm hearing. If a child idolizes a criminal just because he can throw a football, I think that is the parent's fault for not teaching that child that good values should be what determines who our role models should be.

I agree!!!
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #55  

kim, you are entitled to your opinion as to who should be role models but as I said above, whether star athletes SHOULD be role models or not doesn't matter because they ARE, period. Children hero-worship them, no matter what a parent says. It is what it is! We aren't going to change that.

Matilda, you said, "Everyone makes mistakes and wrong is wrong no sin is bigger than the other so if god can forgive you and me why cant we forgive another human being."

I beg to disagree, by a long shot! Some sins are certainly bigger than others, and if there's a god, I don't think ANYONE can speak to what he forgives and what he doesn't.

Michael Vick was never sorry until he got caught. I don't waste any tears on people like him.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

It is each person's opinion whether or not they believe Vick feels remorse. I believe he does; others believe he doesn't and that's okay. At this point I don't think I can sway anyone's mindset anymore than anybody can sway mine. Bottom line it's my sincere hope that the Titans win the Super Bowl.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #57  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikanique View Post
It is each person's opinion whether or not they believe Vick feels remorse. I believe he does; others believe he doesn't and that's okay. At this point I don't think I can sway anyone's mindset anymore than anybody can sway mine. Bottom line it's my sincere hope that the Titans win the Super Bowl.
I agree, except with the Titans comment. Cowboys all the way!! (I know, I know. It's a long shot!)
Old 08-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #58  

Quote:
Originally Posted by babenwaiting View Post
kim, you are entitled to your opinion as to who should be role models but as I said above, whether star athletes SHOULD be role models or not doesn't matter because they ARE, period. Children hero-worship them, no matter what a parent says. It is what it is! We aren't going to change that.
I respectfully disagree. A parent's influence and guidance can change the world. I grew up idolizing athletes from just about every sport and not one of them has spent a day in jail, has been accused of unfaithfulness to their spouse or been shown to even display a hint of unsportsmanlike conduct on the playing field. It's all about what we're taught. Also, kids tend to emulate their parents, so if dad cheers for the guy throwing the first punch on the baseball diamond, his children are likely to idolize that unsportsmanlike conduct as well. A child will idolize what he/she is taught to idolize. If all a parent is concerned with is if the person is the best athlete, then the child will likely find the same quality all that is required of a role model. If the parent is concerned with a person being a good person in addition to or instead of being a good athlete (and this could apply to any profession), then the child will likely react in kind.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #59  

STAND BACK, EVERYBODY! THE CAROLINA PANTHERS ARE GOING TO ROCK IT ALL THIS YEAR!!!

Old 08-18-2009, 02:36 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

How about a thread on whether or not Brett Favre should be allowed to play? I can NOT believe he is about to sign with the Vikings. And they say women can't make up their minds!!! GEEEZZZZ!!!!
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote