General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 11:35 AM   #1  
One more time

Default Is anyone taking Prempro?

It's that time of life for me (55) and my dr had suggested that I take Prempro? I tried it for a couple of week two yrs ago. And I could tell some good changes right from the start. but I also started gaining. and I'm worried about the chance of getting cancer. From some research I did I started excersing, eating properly, drinking lost of water taking extra calcuim and that helped.

I had lazer surgery about 12yrs ago so I don't have anymore monthys.. Which is really nice...all I doing now is starting to go through the change or I going through it now and so far it hasn't been too bad..

So if onyone is taking Prempro or knows of someone who is, or taking something else I would appreciate the advice or your experience with it.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:13 AM   #2  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Hi Sandy,
I got the double whammy. Early menopause at 39 and at the same time my thyroid kicked out. I was on a combination progesterin/estrogen therapy for 6 years. It started working well but eventually petered out. 2 years ago my doctor put me on Prempro. What a difference! My sex drive came back (much to my husband's delight), I felt much better and after a year on Prepro the monthlies went away for good. Can't remember what cramps are like anymore and I don't think I want to remember!

I have been generally happy with it though it seems like some of the menopausal symptoms are coming back ever so slightly. I was going to talk to my doctor about it - maybe up the dosage? I was taking it primarily for the osteoporosis value.

However, as of today when that National Institute of Health study came out warning of the detrimental effects of long term HRT, I am as concerned as many are. I've been on HRT for 9 years now.

I have a doctor's appointment on July 17 - am eager to hear what she has to say about this.

As for weight gain, yes you are right. HRT and the thyroid meds both have a tendency to cause your body to want to hold on to fluids and store fat. However, I have begun a diet program a month ago and have had good success thusfar. What that tells me is 1) it's what was going in my mouth that contributed more to the weight and 2) because I have to deal with these conditions, it means I have to work harder at weight loss than someone who is in perfect health. Life's not fair but you have to deal with it.

Given this recent news and my own concerns, I'm not sure I can recommend anything at this point. It remains a personal choice and you should discuss it further with your doctor. I will just say that Prempro was a good choice for me.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:56 PM   #3  
One more time

Happy2bme, thanks for your reply. I saw that report yesterday also....I really don't know what to do. And I think I really need to talk to the doctor again. I know I'm going to need something for osteoporosis in the future (although after having a bone density test) I'm okay thus far. And I sure would like a little of my sex drive back .. Seeing how I'm 55 now maybe I wouldn't have to be on them for very long, so it wouldn't be a long term thing. I just know that there a better quality of life, i really don't feel bad, but I could feel better.

If you don't mind let me know what your doctor says. I go back to the doctor in 3months. I'm also on high blood pressure pills, and I need to go back in for more.

Once again thanks..
Old 07-17-2002, 07:28 PM   #4  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Hi Sandy,

Well my doctor said that the big news with the PremPro was that they expected that it would provide some protection against heart disease and it didn't turn out as they thought it would. HRT still has benefits in osteoporosis and relieving symptoms such as night sweats, decreased sex drive and hot flashes.

She said it was a quality of life question. If you were more comfortable taking it, then stick with it. If it wasn't doing much for you (and if you start taking it, you'll know whether it's working or not) then there's no reason to stay on any drug that's not helping.

I made the decison to remain on it. However I am adjusting my lifestyle to counteract heart disease by eating and exercising and you should conduct a monthly breast exam along with mamograms (as recommended by your doctor) to keep an eye out on breast cancer. She also recommended continued use of calcium supplements and weight bearing exercise to help prevent bone density loss.
Old 07-21-2002, 12:06 PM   #5  
One more time

Happy2bme, Thanks for the reply, I've been busy for the past few days and haven't had time to get on the computer...I did watch Good Morning America the other day on HRT and I've decided that since I haven't started taking prempro I'm not going to (my doctor just suggested it) but I'm taking calcuim and I'm going to start doing weights (for my bones) and the excercise is a must. I started having a few systems about 2 years ago and when I watched my diet and drank water instead of coke and did the excercise I really felt a lot better and I even slept better. If things get too bad I'll check in on the PremPro gain. Thanks once again for you input on it.
Closed Thread