Anyone have a mortgage with Nations Home Mortgage? Opinions?

• Hi all,

I have had this on my list for the last 3 months or so, and after talking with a friend who did it finally got motivated about 2 weeks ago. Our current mortgage is with Wells Fargo, and after doing some research online I found that it could be cost saving to go with current lender.

So, I played phone tag with a guy from Wells Fargo for 2 weeks. He called me back a couple times initially, but then he just wouldn't call me back. In frustration, today I called the local office, and they connected me with a rep.

Well, she was really quite rude, and this put me off. I mean, I am the customer, right? She was very snippy and kept saying the rates have gone up, and you'll have to pay points (that's fine - I understand I'm about a month late getting in on the really low rates), but she was not giving me much information. She then said she'd email some estimates and asked if I was able to look at my computer - she said she would do this in a few minutes. An hour later, no email - I called and left her a voice mail - about 30 minutes later she sends her estimates for a 15 yr fixed and a 30 fixed. The weird thing was that she didn't ask me any questions and frankly just seemed put out at the call. After the first 10 minute call, I have not heard from her again.

In the meanwhile I got online and did some searching - I ended up talking with a guy from Nations Home Mortgage - he was sooo nice and helpful and pulled up all sorts of info for me. It seems to be a much better deal for what we want. He is of course in New Jersey, and I'm in Va., so we'll never meet face to face (I've never done something so big just over the phone - feels/seems a little weird, but maybe it's just our modern world).

Does anyone have a mortgage with Nations Home? I am trying to make sure it's a good company and can't find any reviews online. Also, should I blow off Wells Fargo, since the lady was rude and unhelpful? I know they are a good company, but maybe it's best to go with a new company.

Does anyone who's been through this have any general words of wisdom on refinancing?

I always appreciate the advise I get from 3FC'ers - thanks in advance!
  • I can't tell you anything about Nations Home, but we recently refinanced our house with Wells Fargo. We originally contacted them in February, but we didn't close until late April. They were swamped! I had to keep contacting them to ask questions or to check something that I thought they had wrong. It always took longer than it should to get an answer, but I know they just had a ton of requests for refinances and they were super busy. Nonetheless, we were happy with them.
  • Here's the link to the Better Business Bureau's file on Nations Home:

http://www.bbb.org/new-jersey/busine...ll-nj-80011333

If it doesn't come through, go to the BBB's web site (bbb dot org), choose "USA site", then "Check out a business or charity", enter Nations Home as the business and New Jersey as the state.
  • Thank you for your responses! It's comforting to see that they have an excellent BBB rating. The lack of face-to-face is something I'm not used to, but I am leaning toward going with Nations Home. We have had no problems with our Wells Fargo mortgage (had it for 5 years), but the total lack of customer service and even rudeness has really put me off. Yours took a long time to go through, but I'm glad you're pleased with the outcome.
  • Hi there!

If you still in the market for a refinance, I'm an licensed NYS Lender. I'll be glad to answer all your questions, we do most of our business out of state and we are approved by FHA.
  • Hi Ren - Thanks so much for responding. We actually did go with the online broker I mentioned. Our appraisal is scheduled for Monday so the ball is already rolling. Maybe consider yourself lucky because I would have asked you a million and one questions

I did end up paying a lot of points (2.8), but we did pull off the 15 year and are taking out a small amount of cash to do some home improvements ($4,500.00). All told, we will be shaving something like 111K off our total payments because of the rate (4.375 ... used to be 6%).

I hope I did ok! I am nervous because I did it all on my own, and it just seemed strange not to have a brick and mortar office to go to. Our payments are only going up a little bit from what we already pay.

Feel free to comment on how you think I did.

I was told by Wells Fargo and my guy with Nations Home that even a week or two ago I probably could have gotten almost the same rate/deal but with no points. True?? I'm kicking myself.

Also, I just couldn't get over the rude treatment I got from Wells Fargo. I am even considering complaining, but I doubt I'll get around to it. lol.

Thank you!!