General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-19-2009, 02:52 AM   #1  
the camera adds 10 lbs

S/C/G: 258/ticker/185

Thumbs down Harry Potter???

I'm taking a day off from thinking about weight loss??? I was disappointed by the new movie...too much snogging, not enough action!!!! What did everone else think???
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I thought it was great. It was the first movie where I actually felt that Daniel Radcliff's performance was authentic, and even Hermione didn't annoy me too much. The book is better of course in every conceivable way but I liked the darkness and especially the scene in the cave, I think they captured the essence of that very well.

By the way, they're teenagers at this point. All they can think about is crushes and adolescent love, it's the development of these characters and not unlike anything that happens in real life.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #3  
the camera adds 10 lbs

wanna. i was surprised that most of the reviews were pretty good... we saw it at midnight on opening night....my wife already saw it again and said she liked it a little more the second time...like you said, the books are better...next time i wont reread the books right before the movies...the cool thing for us is that all 3 of my daughters and my wife and a bunch of friends all went together...have a great week
Old 07-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #4  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I have never seen or read any Harry Potter...but Angie has...she and my step-d went friday...I asked how was it? She just said...good...dark...but good. She did mention something about them being older too...whatever that meant.

David way to share the day with family and friends!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #5  
Operator265

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
She did mention something about them being older too...whatever that meant.
It means she's got the hots for Daniel Radcliffe. You better start behaving yourself EZ.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #6  
the camera adds 10 lbs

my wife and daughter saw equiis in new york...they saw harry potter nude...it was funny because my wife bought my daughter opera glasses, but thought they might look like perverts with binoculars
Old 07-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #7  
the camera adds 10 lbs

i recommend that everyone whos not into it get the 1st book and read a few chapters...youll know by then if youre a fan...im sure you can get lots of used copies
Old 07-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #8  
I'm changing my life!

I was disappointed, too. I felt it was the most inaccurate in that a lot of important things were omitted that play a large part in the seventh installment (e.g., the history of the Gaunts). I was, however, extremely impressed with Tom Felton's performance. I really hope the next two movies are much better.
chavwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:20 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I liked it. As I recall, book 6 was where the romance really picked up in the books as well...so fitting that in was sort of necessary to sticking to the books. The only issue (the same one I had with book 6) is that there is really no story resolution...all the books leave SOME loose ends, but book 6 left ALL loose ends.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:34 PM   #10  

After seeing Daniel Radcliffe naked in Equus on Broadway....the movie seemed soooooo...wrong for him.Just my honest opinion.Loved him on broadway though.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #11  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

I was dissappointed with the movie as well. I've read (and reread) all the books and I understand movies cannot incorporate all the aspects and tend to leave out stuff. But, in movie #6, they left out a whole lot and changed stuff they didn't need to. Especially, the end (how it happens). Also, this movie/book is the foundation in many aspects for Deathly Hallows and that's what they were supposed to capture. And, I agree, they focused a lot on romance and snogging where they should have focused more on Harry's journey and a sudden change in course for him and everyone else. Yes, the book picks up on romance in #6 but JK never digressed from the main story despite hormones running amuck.

Maybe, watching it the second time might make it better. We went to watch the midnight show as well.

Last edited by pintobean; 07-20-2009 at 08:50 AM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:35 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 195/184/125

Height: 5'2"

As a fan of the books, it sucked. I have to say it was extremely disappointing. Other friends who are fans and my husband all thought the same. They added a few pointless scenes that added absolutely NOTHING to the story line and weren't in the book at all plus they left out the entire ending. Sure, they killed off "You know who" (not spoiling for anyone reading this who hasn't read the book). But the entire school "fight", plus no funeral? I thought, while reading the book, that I would leave the theatre in tears. The funeral was when I cried while reading.

What a shame. They better pull their bit up a notch for the last two movies!!
haysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:52 AM   #13  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

I was disappointed. Oh, the quality of the acting and the effects were good. But I wonder how they're going to recover from the inaccuracies and things left out?
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:55 AM   #14  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I am betting that movie 7 is going to start with the funeral. They left themselves open for it, anyway.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:13 AM   #15  
I shall be released...

Height: 5'8"

I am not a hardcore Harry Potter fan; I've never read any of the books and only seen the last three movies. Half Blood Prince was my favorite of those three though. I thought it was quite good. Order of the Phoenix was the worst, I found it really anti-climactic. HBP left me wanting to see the next movie RIGHT NOW! hehe
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote