General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Who else doesn't watch tv?

I know to say I don't watch tv is pretty simplistic. I don't have cable and although prior to our move (2 years ago) we did have an HD antennae attached to our tv, we never set it up when we moved. So I watch Hulu.com quite a bit plus watch various DVDs, some tv shows, some movies. Some days I don't watch any tv, some days I watch up to an hour or so (depends if i'm watching if exercising or if we decide to watch a movie).

I thought a lot about this since people were referring to media coverage and being overexposed to certain events. For me, I get tidbits of things here and there and check online news outlets for things I want more info about.

So, I know I'm not the only one, who else doesn't really watch tv/have cable/etc?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: PSW165.6/157/115

Height: 5'1

Count me in!

Except for True Blood on Sundays, I'm glued to the couch since baby is already in bed by that time and my husband might be reading.

As a matter of fact, in my house there's a TV and cable because of my husband. When I was single I had a little TV with no cable to watch movies and concerts in DVD.

Renacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #3  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

well, I'm not completely off TV but I really don't have time for it. Definitely I don't watch more than maybe 1 hour during the week (yes 1 hour, not per day, per week!) and maybe a little bit on the weekend (sat. night). I have to use the precious little extra time I have taking care of myself or cooking for my husband and me, or preparing for the next day(s). On the weekends I'm doing all the errands that I can't do during the week so literally the *only* time I could do it is sat. nights IF we are not watching a movie or something else.

I don't actually miss it, I like having the rest of my life a bit more in control instead
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #4  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Height: 5' 8"

Do exercise DVD's count? My husband is working out of town for an extended time, and I'm seriously considering disconnecting the cable. My son watches DVD's, and I watch an occasional movie (maybe 1 or 2 a week) on DVD, and that's it. Except, of course, my exercise DVD's.
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #5  
Just Me

Velveteen, I am with you on the 1 hour/week. That happens a lot to me, it does depend though. Some weeks I watch about 5 hours tv, some weeks no tv.

In the US, many people pay for cable tv and when my life started to get busy, I realized I wasn't even turning on the tv most days so we disconnected our cable and stopped paying for it. Of course it is funny here how many offers you will start getting to get cable once you get. I get a lot of offers for showtime, hbo and full cable for $29/month for a year. I even got an offer recently for the same for $19/month. Funny since it was over $50/month when we were paying for it.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I'm about to be I'm going to dump my cable TV, it's expensive, and because so many channels are available, it's easy to watch all the time. It drives me crazy to be at someone's house and the TV is on All. The. Time. I can't stand it. Yet, it's been creeping into my home. So I'm going to discontinue it. I agree, I can watch an occasional movie or show on my laptop.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/173.2/149

Ever since the digital switch over, I haven't seen much tv at all. I have an old television set with an antenna in my room and used to watch the news all the time....while on the computer and whatnot, it was always on in the background. Since I can't get any stations anymore and my dad has dibs on the cable every night to watch the Red Sox games, I find that I'm watching dvd's much more now. I think I have watched Mamma Mia about 4 times this past month! haha
Chele615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #8  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I watch FAR too much television - well, not so much watch as just have it humming in the background. I have the botttom rate cable package, because I can't get pictures with just an aerial, for some reason.
I did give up tv one Lent but it crept back pretty quickly!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #9  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

We watch our TV- but we are rarely watching cable. We have a lot of movies, we download or buy the tv shows we like and we usually wait until a season is over with and spend a weekend or a sunday just watching the entire season in one long binge.
so... I guess I'm somewhere in between. The only stuff I watch from cable comes from PBS for the most part. We don't have anything more then basic... and frankly I could live without it.
Now how many hours I spend on my laptop... that's another story.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #10  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

I watch TV! Happily! Proudly!
I especially enjoy TLC, the Discovery Health channel, Life, and Documentary. Oh, and the movie channels.
Some people like to go out to movies: I like to wait and watch them at home.
Some people like to go to sporting events: I like to watch them at home.
So it forms the bulk of my "entertainment" budget...
I guess I'm a homebody!

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 207/212/155

Height: 5'9

I can't remember the last time I sat down to watch tv. I've got no time to. In a month I will have probably watched about 2 hours of tv. I don't have cable, and my tv screen is tiny.
stellarwbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #12  
Just Me

I watch some of my favorite TLC shows on Hulu.com or other places Actually we don't go to the movies either, I really rather watch movies at home.

Oh also we did have a Netflix subscription for a while until we had the same DVDs sitting near the tv for a month going unwatched. We did recently talk about getting Netflix again to watch some foreign films.

Our entertainment budget is spent mostly on DVDs. I bought Edward Scissorhands yesterday for $4.99. I love Johnny Depp. We also scout Best Buy for movies $6 and under. They have good movies on sale almost every week.

One thing I forgot to mention is we hook up a laptop to our tv so that we can watch online shows on the tv. We do get annoyed by the commercials sometimes although they are less than regular tv. Its good to watch shows that are current though or ones which we don't want to buy. We got a wireless mouse to control the laptop although we do have a remote for it (somewhere) which we haven't set up yet.

Last edited by nelie; 07-08-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #13  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I'll have to read the posts tomorrow...it's crazy, I tell ya! No tv watching? I wish I could say I don't because I watch waaaaaay too much but I love it, lol. Couldn't imagine life without it...of course I could do without all the talk of Michael Jackson and the such...no offense, I love MJ but enough please.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #14  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
of course I could do without all the talk of Michael Jackson and the such...no offense, I love MJ but enough please.
Well that is kind of what I was referring to. I've only heard tidbits on the radio and even that wasn't much. My mom emailed me to ask if I watched the funeral. I didn't know it was being televised
Old 07-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #15  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

The TV is on a LOT in our house, but I can't remember the last time I sat and -watched- without doing anything else (reading, working, etc)
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote