General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #1  
I LOVE my furbabies!

S/C/G: 216/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'9"

Default cash4clunkers?

Has anyone else heard or read about this program? From what I understand they want to get old gas guzzling cars off the roads but I can't help but think about all the families in the country that have children and jobs and no transportation! Why can't we take some of the better quality cars that are being traded in and donate them to those needy families?! I can't help but think that it's a waste of some cars that work just fine except for the fact that it gets less than 18 mpg's?!

http://www.cars.gov/
net knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #2  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

I agree with you. Even though the gov't will give you money towards the purchase of a new car that's more fuel efficient, it's still not something that many of us can afford, since it's only $3500-4500 towards the cost. Right now, we have no payments on the '90 Ford Ranger they would call a "clunker" as well as only liability insurance and it actually gets over 18 mpg. To get a more fuel efficient truck, we would have to finance another $25,000 and have full insurance coverage-the 'cash for clunkers' incentive, in reality, does not help out those of us who just simply can't afford to purchase a new vehicle. I guess it's a nice idea in theory, but just won't pan out for the people who are really in need.
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:44 AM   #3  
I LOVE my furbabies!

S/C/G: 216/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'9"

That is so true! I didn't even think about that! Another reason this is more of a dreamy situation for most than a reality!
net knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:16 PM   #4  
mom2cole

It would have benefited my husband and I but you had to own the clunker for over a year before you could get cash for it. We didn't. We traded our old cherokee that got 18mpg for a newer corolla that gets 38mpg on freeway and the savings from gas alone is paying for half of the car payment, and we aren't forking out $200/month to keep the corolla running like we did with the cherokee.
mom2cole is offline   Reply With Quote