General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-07-2008, 07:19 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default gardens

how is everyones garden doing? My tomatoes are done...
My squash is still coming in pretty fast. My zucs are really slow now. My bell peppers are still coming in fast but just seem small this year. MY melons are tiny but getting ripe.
My pansies are done because of the extreme heat we have been having. THe petunia I cut back are now beautiful again. I think I will plant mums in place of my pansies this weekend. It should give me some color until frost. Hard to believe summer has been flying by so fast.
I cant keep my hummingbird feeders full..
debi
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

We, too, have tons of hummingbirds this year. About 10 at a time - sometimes more or less - at feeding time. I have been buying sugar like crazy to keep my 3 feeders full. Unfortunately yesterday I noticed a wasp on the feeder, so I must find the nest.

Where do you live that your tomatoes are done? I'm so sorry you won't have August and September tomatoes!

Sounds like everything else you have is going strong.

We have tons of tomatoes (I'm going to can this weekend), zuchinnis and yellow squash, several kinds of peppers, 2 kinds of cukes, and green beans (just coming in - planted late). We've been eating corn from my dad's garden.

Pansies don't last past June generally in Virginia - too hot!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

My tomatoes are still chugging...my cuke are good. My pepers are still growing...i only got one zuccinni so far...but i enjoyed working in the garden.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:21 AM   #4  
No description available.

I have a ton of tomatoes, just waiting for them to ripen! C'mon, babies!

My zucchini was a huge failure this year and I am sad about that.

Threw a homegrown jalapeno in my supper last night.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:23 AM   #5  

Im in Ky ...seems everyone is having a hard time with tomatoes this year around here.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #6  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

I am cooking fresh green beans today. They are not from my garden as I only grow flowers. My neighbor is very generous and will soon be sharing tomatoes with us. He did say they are not doing as well as last year. We are in IN.
suetalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

My zucchini have been really good this year, but the plants have gotten powder mold and are starting to dye off, boo-hoo. DH planted this year because I was too busy and he put in only 3 tomato plants, 2 of them grape tomatoes. They have been doing okay.
I've got two green peppers and they are doing well. My experiment this year was an eggplant, which is covered with flea beetles, but this doesn't seem to be a problem, because it is growing well and I'll have some eggplants soon.
I am very much a self-taught novice gardener, just put stuff in and see what does well. I try something new every year.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #8  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

I've got an indoor garden because its too cold, even in the height of summer here to grow outdoors. My lettuce is spent and I'm waiting on a new crop. Got a few radishes, carrots are still growing in, all herbs are very prolific. Have three tomato plants that are just staring to form fruit because I started them late. One pepper plant that is letting me down, three cabbage...doing okay but not very exciting. I have broccoli, sugar snap peas, radishes and carrots outside as an experiment...not doing well...
I'm mostly excited about my tomatos, its my fav. I have rutgers and a white cherry.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Kind of hard to compare notes when we don't know where people are. Maybe everyone could put their location into their profile?

We have had a very wet summer and my garden has a massive crop of weeds! However, I have had a good crop of lettuce up to now and the peppers, tomatoes and beans are on the cusp of major production.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #10  

it is do different with gardening every year. We did grape tomato plants and i love them when they 1st come in but after i get a real tomato then im done with the grapes..
I dont know why my tomatoes died so early this year. My neighbor said its because we had a really wet spring and then it got dry and hot to fast...The ones we ate were awesome!!
Old 08-07-2008, 03:01 PM   #11  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

We've had loads and loads of zucchini and crookneck squash. They have slowed down some the last week. I planted one little grape tomato plant and it is very prolific. I've had a bowlful each day since the weekend. Our other tomatoes are still ripening for the most part. I've had a couple to eat on so far, and more loaded on the plants. It hasn't been a great year yet for tomatoes for us. I've thrown away some that had developed blossom end rot and aphids slowed them down the first of July.

We also planted some green beans, mainly just to eat on, although I did put up a couple of quart bags. We have lots of jalapenos on the plant that will be ready by next week. I also planted some sweet red peppers, but so far they are still green, although they are big and healthy.

We should have some canteloupe ready by mid month. I'm the only one in my house that likes canteloupe though, so I'll be gifting most of that. I've never figured out a way to preserve it without disliking the texture. We also have some butternut squash that is still growing. Actually it has slowed down a lot, I should probably read up on how to know when to pick it; it's the first year I've grown it.

Today for lunch, I'm eating leftovers that included crookneck squash, green beans with grape tomatoes on the side. I'm loving that part.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:08 PM   #12  
In love with...THE GYM!!

S/C/G: 243/213/150

Height: 5'8"

This being our first garden, we started small this year. 4 cherry tomato plants, a big tomato plant, 4 green pepper plants, and a few potatoes we threw in the ground.
The cherry tomatoes are coming along nicely, taking over the whole garden. I think I about killed my regular tomato plant when I transfered it from the pot. I'm not sure it's going to produce My green peppers are producing like crazy! I can't wait till they're ready!
julie99s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SEE TICKER

Height: 5'4"

This is our first garden since we moved to our new house. We planted peas, cucumbers, tomatoes, spinach, green peppers and 1 zuccinni. The tomatoes and cucumbers are growing out of control, and have been eating spinach almost every day. I made turkey stuffed peppers just the other day, yum yum, and waiting for enough tomatos to make soup. So far, so good.

I think next year I will re-design the layout, and definatly plant MORE!

P.S. I have made my own pest repellant spray, and it seems to work! Fill spray bottle to almost top, add 1 cap of white vinegar and a small squirt of dish washing liquid. I spray it on ALL my plants, including flowers!

Last edited by HoneyMustard; 08-07-2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: P.S.
HoneyMustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #14  

homebound..thanks for the idea I will try it next year. I went thru so many bags of sevin dust.
tammy_ my red sweet pepper is turning red right now. I cant wait to eat it!!
I made poppers tonight with my jalopena
Old 08-07-2008, 10:12 PM   #15  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

dgramie, I'm looking forward to my red peppers. Even my kids like red peppers.

Once my squash dies down, I want to think about planting a few things for fall gardens. Many people here plant greens (turnips, collards) which are fine, but I would like to plant some lettuces. We've never planted that before, but as much as I eat, it would be great to have some in the garden. Any tips on that?
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote