General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-26-2009, 05:09 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Angry SPCA exec dog dies after being in hot car for hours

I don't care that she didn't realize the dog was in the car. Her husband should have told her that he put the dog in the car. Couldn't she smell the dog? Didn't it make any noise?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32569213...life?gt1=43001
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #2  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

OMG! Poor dog, bless his/her heart.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:56 PM   #3  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

That is so heart breaking
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #4  
Workin' It

Now that is just terrible. And somewhat ironic.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

TBH, it sounds like excuses and stories. But who knows. Very sad indeed.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Very sad. Who knows? Dog was 16, blind and deaf. My dogs are generally very quiet in the car and just sleep.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #7  
Everyday is a New Day

S/C/G: 327/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

That's terrible.
BelieveInChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I do find it hard to believe that the woman intentionally left the dog behind, considering where she worked and that she often, but not always took him to work. It's tragic, and I imagine that she may end up being forced or pressured to resign, as many people will not be understanding.

My husband and I were talking about this general subject recently (mostly regarding babies and young children being left in cars and buses because the driver didn't know/remember they were there).

I told hubby that I was relieved that we didn't have small children, because with my fibromyalgia and other health issues (causing short-term memory and cognitive problems), if the baby fell asleep, I think I could forget he/she was in the car (a quiet dog, just as easily). I do super crazy things when I'm flaring. When it was at it's worst, just before diagnosis, I would leave pots on the stove, and forget I was cooking (didn't burn down the house, but ruined a lot of pots and pans). I'd put fish sticks in the pantry and the tv remote in the freezer. I think leaving a child or dog in the car would be very possible (I don't even carry a purse anymore, I lost it too many times. Hubby is now my important document carrier).

Hubby was telling me that there are new devices that are, or soon will be available for cars, that will remind the driver that a child (or dog) is in the car that needs to be attended to. One involves sensors in the car seats, and if the weight on the seats are not lifted within a number of minutes after the car shuts off, or when the car reaches a certain internal temperature, a loud alarm will sound.

The biggest problem with these devices though, is that for most people, I think a tragedy would almost have to happen before someone would think they needed one.

It's very sad.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-26-2009 at 07:48 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:42 PM   #9  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Hubby was telling me that there are new devices that are, or soon will be available for cars, that will remind the driver that a child (or dog) is in the car that needs to be attended to. One involves sensors in the car seats, and if the weight on the seats are not lifted within a number of minutes after the car shuts off, or when the car reaches a certain internal temperature, a loud alarm will sound.

The biggest problem with these devices though, is that for most people, I think a tragedy would almost have to happen before someone would think they needed one.

It's very sad.
I AM NOT making light of this subject by any means. However, I had to chuckle a bit. It would be my luck that my embroidery machine (heavy) would be strapped into the back seat and my car would start screaming! LOL.

Unfortunately, I think you are right in your last statements.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #10  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

When my father was working at Yuma in the summer, one of his coworkers took his 3-year old German Shepherd to work. He kept the windows of his car cracked, had plenty of water for the dog, and checked on it every hour or so.

At the end of the day, my dad had to remove the dog's body from the car, because the owner was too upset to.

Last edited by Wolf Goddess; 08-26-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:19 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Goddess View Post
When my father was working at Yuma in the summer, one of his coworkers took his 3-year old German Shepherd to work. He kept the windows of his car cracked, had plenty of water for the dog, and checked on it every hour or so.

At the end of the day, my dad had to remove the dog's body from the car, because the owner was too upset to.
Wow, windows cracked in summer of Yuma is not good.

And from the way I read this article, the woman actually took her dog into work, meaning into the office. Some offices are animal friendly and I imagine the SPCA is such an office.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:30 PM   #12  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

How sad....I am sure it was just an unfortunate mistake.

WOLF I am sorry your dad had to do that too. I have lived in Yuma...it isn't safe in the summer for anyone!

Sometimes I think people just don't realize hot hot the car gets....not the lady in the story of course, but the gentleman in Yuma.

Prayers for all!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

I had a bumper sticker on my old car that said "too hot for spot" and a picture of a dog in a car and then said to leave dogs at home on hot days... this is a real hot button issue for me - I freak out when I see dogs in cars at the mall, etc. I am a huge dog lover and this kind of thing really upsets me. Then there's my dad, who INSISTS on taking his dog (his favorite child ) with him EVERYWHERE. I warn him constantly... *sigh*
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #14  

SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:01 PM   #15  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

If my girls go with me to the store IRIS I make sure to bring an extra key for my truck....that way I can keep the truck running and the air going.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote