MP3 or I-pod?...

• I want to buy something to download podcasts and music to walk and eventually run to....what do you have? Is one better than the other?
  • iPod. The customer service alone is worth it.

ETA: here's an example... I bought an iTunes gift card not too long ago and I accidentally scratched off half the numbers when I was revealing the code. I emailed customer support and had a response (and a new set of numbers) in a few hours. I thought that was pretty cool.
  • I loved my iPod until yesterday, when my computer crashed. I've now lost all the info on my iPod because I can't transfer files from the iPod to the new PC. Either that, or I can never add anything new to it.
  • There are 3rd party utilities you can buy for only a little bit of money that will copy files from an iPod to your computer. CopyToy is one of them, I think.

I always used a regular mp3 player, and always said I didn't understand why everyone paid the premium for the iPods. Now, after getting my iPhone, I get it...the transfer of data and organization just can't be beat. It makes it so much easier...every major audio downloading site is compatible with iTunes and iPod devices, unlike some other lesser known devices. I really, really like the entire interface, too.
  • If you didn't say the part about downloading music, and you were just going to put your own music (from CDs) and some podcasts on it, I'd say get a small, lightweight, inexpensive MP3 player.

I have the Sansa Clip and it's nice for running because it clips on like the iPod Shuffle (and weighs practically nothing!),but it has a million more features and is cheaper (got my 2GB for $45 on sale). It's also insanely easy to put your music files on it... literally ALL you do is drag it from your computer into a folder, and in seconds it's done.

However, I know it can be tricky getting some music downloading services to work with some devices, so if you're doing a lot of that, an iPod is probably your best bet! They make arm bands for all of them, so it's easy enough to use them for running (unless the arm bands drive you nuts like me).
  • Quote: but it has a million more features and is cheaper (got my 2GB for $45 on sale). It's also insanely easy to put your music files on it... literally ALL you do is drag it from your computer into a folder, and in seconds it's done.
    That's how much a 1G shuffle costs (the 4G is $79)

...you can also drag and drop with ipod.

ETA: For reference, 1G is about 240 songs. My workout playlist currently has 88 songs.
  • I have an ipod nano, and used to have an ipod mini, and just love ipods in general. Though they can be more expensive. Though if you don't care about having an interface, the ipod shuffle is affordable. For a more reasonable price and a display, I know my brother has a sansa fuze and loves that, he's always listening to it.

Itunes now lets you convert stuff you buy to mp3 format (there were ways around it anyway but it's just one click now), so that makes compatibility less of an issue than it used to be if you want to get your music through them but not use an ipod. Though sometimes amazon has single song downloads for cheaper.
  • love my ipods. I have a classic, and a nano for working out. Now, I just gotta find a cheap thing to use to listen to my ipod in my car. Anyone have a good product for that?
  • Thanks for all the great answers...
  • Hey Jules, if you're interested in running in the future and you don't mind techno music (I would never listen to it normally, but love it for working out to) you can download the C25K by DJ Beatsmith on podrunner.com. I found it a great help. The podcasts come in both MP3 and I-pod formats.
  • Quote: Hey Jules, if you're interested in running in the future and you don't mind techno music (I would never listen to it normally, but love it for working out to) you can download the C25K by DJ Beatsmith on podrunner.com. I found it a great help. The podcasts come in both MP3 and I-pod formats.

My dd likes techno and I have found I don't mind it in small doses. I am very
    interested in the C25k podcasts which is why I am even asking the question.
  • I have a Sansa fuze. It's not super intuitive to use but now that I'm accustomed to it it's fine. I'm doing C25K and I downloaded the podcasts using iTunes and then converted them to mp3 since that's the format that the Sansa uses. I like the player, but from what I'm reading and hearing, the iPod may be a little more intuitive to use.

I don't have much music on mine yet. I'm not really digging the techno music on the C25k podcasts, so as soon as I get into the weeks where it's mostly running, I may just try to use my own music and make it last the correct amount of time.
  • I have a 4-gig ZEN Mozaic (Creative Labs) that cost me around 50 bucks from Walmart. I picked that particular one because it is Napster-to-Go compatible, and I change out the music on it all the time, so it's rather cost-effective.

The only bad thing about the Mozaic- it has no clip on it, so exercising outside is kind of difficult, unless I want to just hold it the whole time.
  • Quote: The only bad thing about the Mozaic- it has no clip on it, so exercising outside is kind of difficult, unless I want to just hold it the whole time.
    Key pocket? Amphipod?
  • My husband and I both have the Zen and we love it.We've never had any problems with music.Now,my son had to have a Zune...and it's crap.He's on his second one since Christmas and the second one has stopped working now.