3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   OB/GYN question... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/172946-ob-gyn-question.html)

jajabee 05-30-2009 03:53 PM

OB/GYN question...

I've never had an OB/GYN before, I usually just go to clinics for my annual exams (and I wouldn't even do that if they didn't require it for BC pills, I hate going to doctors). But now that we're settling down and starting to think about having kids, I've started looking around for a real doctor, one who I plan to see regularly for a long time. I'm wondering, from those of you who have doctors like that, especially OB/GYNs, do you ever run into them outside of the doctor's office, like in social settings or the supermarket or anything? Is it ever weird? Or is it no big deal like, "Oh yes, this is Dr. X, she pokes around in my hoo-hah once a year! Seen any good movies lately?" :)

kiramira 05-30-2009 04:20 PM

Hey, these doctors see SO many hoo-has that they don't even remember yours!
Good luck with the search!
Kira

Beautiful Ace 05-30-2009 04:26 PM

lol @ hoo has. Made me giggle. I don't think it would be weird. They look at hoo has like dentists look at teeth.

zenor77 05-30-2009 05:05 PM

It's not weird to run into them and honestly, unless you live in a small town, it's not terribly likely that you will run into them. I actually grew up going to church with the doctor who delivered my sister and I and it wasn't weird at all.

Doctor/Patient relationships aren't really the type where you'd stand there and introduce people to each other anyway. I think a "Hi" in passing is sufficient.

Good luck finding a doctor you like.

murphmitch 05-30-2009 05:44 PM

Run into them? I work with them. I'm a nurse on a OB/GYN floor so we all experience this at work. Thankfully, my Dr. doesn't come to my hospital that often. It is something I think about, especially the breast exam part (I have ideas that they have x-ray vision when they see me in my uniform..) Honestly don't think they give it any thought though, just like I don't think about the patient's I take care of (occasionally co-workers or acquaintances). Just part of my job and something I see over and over again.

lizziep 05-30-2009 06:31 PM

hahaha i've never seen my doctor anywhere other then in her office.

LittleBitIzzy 05-30-2009 07:44 PM

My doctors are in a different city for me....but with my eye doctor, I've seen him out in public and I don't think he even knew who I was! So, I wouldn't worry about it too much!

ValRock 05-30-2009 07:55 PM

LOL I LOVE my GYN and run into her all the time! She delivered my daughter and we chit chat about how she's doing. I thought it would be weird but it's okay LOL.

FrouFrou 05-31-2009 04:03 PM

I have never seen any of my docs (dentist, ob/gyn, eye, general) except my general doc one time in all the years I went to her (she quit). I take that back, once in a while I would see my Chiro...he went to the same Church. Funny now that I think about it...we all live in the same area...but obviously run in different circles so...never even seen any of the secretaries or nurses either!

Shopaholic1204 06-01-2009 12:15 AM

Thats so funny, because earlier today, I had the same thought, LOL!! But no, I've never bumped into mine anywhere. I think they live somewhere else..and just work in the area.

mayness 06-01-2009 10:11 AM

I never ran into my OB-GYN outside of her office, but I would have loved to, she's an awesome person and getting to chat with her for free would be great, lol!

Now that I think about it, I've never seen any of my doctors outside of the office... but I always seemed to run into nurses/receptionists everywhere (back when I lived in the same town). One of my favorite dental hygienists also worked at a store in the mall so I'd drop in and say hi when I was out shopping. :)

LittleMoonRabbit 06-01-2009 10:34 AM

I used to see my old doctor all the time. I was a manager at the only grocery store in town (and I used to live in a very small town) and his office was right down the street. Honestly, I don't think they really remember/care what people look like underneath their clothes as long as they are healthy. And especially for OB/GYNs... the girls here are right, they look at so many hoo-has (lol) that I don't think it registers with them which hoo-ha belongs to who. I think we all worry too much about our bodies and who sees them and how people might judge them... but I really don't think anyone cares as much as we do, lol.

MindiV 06-01-2009 10:55 AM

I don't go to a doctor in my town (it's small...3,500 people and ONE doctor) because I see him a lot for work, in the store, etc. To me it would be embarrassing. He wouldn't care, most likely. He's also a family practitioner. I go to an OBGYN in a larger town.

SioGold 06-02-2009 09:52 AM

I never ran into my OB, even though his office was just down the road. Seriously though I doubt it would ever have bothered him or me if I had, I mean, he'll have seen so many that he may as well be looking at elbows all day, kwim?

JuliaDH 06-02-2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleBitIzzy (Post 2763134)
My doctors are in a different city for me....but with my eye doctor, I've seen him out in public and I don't think he even knew who I was! So, I wouldn't worry about it too much!

Maybe he didn't SEE you!