Need some kitchen decorating advice.

• We own a motel, and we have a house that we rent out nightly. We just bought another house for nightly rental that we are fixing up. I love color, so, so far this is what we have done with the kitchen. Gutted it, we have ordered dark cherry cupboards that are coming in tomorrow, we are excited to see what they will look like, we have a tile floor that has the dark cherry swirls with just a little light brown in it. We painted the walls a sage green. The problem is we need to decide if we want a black or white oven and micro range, and they had the window sills painted white. I don't think that white will look right with all of the darks. We also got a light granite countertop that has some lighter brown, and some flecks of black in it. If we go black on the appliances, what color should we paint the window sills? That is a big question. Should we blend them into the walls and paint them the sage green also? Should we sand them down and just stain them? What stain would go with dark cherry? We also have a door entrance in the kitchen that goes into a room where the fridge and washer/dryer are, and that entrance is a honey wood stain. Should we try to match that? I just want it to look nice, since we are going through all the trouble of fixing it up. I would appreciate any advice.
  • Hi there!
    We just did a kitchen reno, so here's my two cents, for what it is worth.
    Go with black appliances. You have dark wood cabinetry, so the black will blend in. The white will stick out like a sore thumb. And white appliances don't look as modern as sleek black ones.
    The window sills would be nice if they matched the baseboard. If your baseboard is white, then match it. In my HUMBLE opinion, your baseboards, door casings, and window trim usually all match. These are trims, and they usually are the same color. It should be consistent throughout the house.
    However, in this case, if the baseboard and door trim and door are honey stained, and honey stained throughout the house, you might consider painting out the window trim in the sage OR staining the window trim honey-colored. You can mix wood stains, and a honey stain is pretty neutral.
    Hope this helps!
    Kira
  • Kira,
    Thanks for the advice. I think black applicances also. I think we are going to have to stain the window sills in honey stain to match the doorway. The baseboard in the kitchen will be tile, and the rest of the house is carpet baseboard. I just love to re-model.
  • I USED to love it, until we did the reno from **** last year...But it was fun, nonetheless.
    Sounds like a great plan to match the doorway/door/door trim with the window trim. Post pics once you're done!
    Kira