General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-18-2009, 11:20 PM   #46  
Maintanier to the MAX

S/C/G: Maintainer

Finished reading Yummy Mummy and am now reading Slummy Mummy. Love me my English Chick Lit. Their use of phrases and slang can be quite hysterical at times. Especially the US comparisons.
PearFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:46 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Was Slummy Mummy a sequel? I read it first!

I have Pretty in Plaid on hold at the library. I finally finished The Girl She Used to BE - HATED it. Absolutely fascinating premise, ruined by (imo) a completely bizarre love story and unbelievable ending.

I'm currently not reading anything! I tried Breather's Lament: Zombie Love Story but it was boooring. Hopefully, some new books will be ready for me at the library soon.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I'm about 30 pages from finishing Plum Lucky from Janet Evanovich. It' kinda 'meh but it's a quick read. I enjoy her number books much better!
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #49  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

BornToFly...almost got Chelsea's book but there were so many others I wanted, lol. Glad to know it is funny...watch her every night and she cracks me up! And I love Janet Evanovich...the number ones the best. I've read some of the others, the romance stuff and not so much...they were okay but ones I feel dumber for reading, lol.

I am getting ready to start There's A Slight Chance I May Be Going to **** by Laurie Notaro...seemed kind of off the wall and funny...we'll see. Hoping this gets me back into a reading mode...took forever to finsih The Time Travelers Wife.

Happy Reading All!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #50  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

I just finished a wonderful story "Tuesdays with Morrie." It is a small book, fairly quick read and just a touching true story about terminally ill Professor and one of his old students.

I am now starting two books the first for night reading and health, is "Master Your Metabolism" by Jillian Michaels. I am wanting to read this for the information on balancing hormones, which I know is critical for good health. The second morning reading book I am starting is "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warrnen.
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #51  

Height: 5'6"

I loved "Tuesdays with Morrie", it is one of the books I go back to every so often.
I am currently reading "Cathedral of the Sea" by Ildefonso Falcones, translated from Spanish. Think "Pillars of the Earth" set in medieval Barcelona.
Like it o.k., but not one of my all time faves.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:25 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
BornToFly...almost got Chelsea's book but there were so many others I wanted, lol. Glad to know it is funny...watch her every night and she cracks me up! And I love Janet Evanovich...the number ones the best. I've read some of the others, the romance stuff and not so much...they were okay but ones I feel dumber for reading, lol.

I am getting ready to start There's A Slight Chance I May Be Going to **** by Laurie Notaro...seemed kind of off the wall and funny...we'll see. Hoping this gets me back into a reading mode...took forever to finsih The Time Travelers Wife.

Happy Reading All!
where do you watch cheslea? it is a laugh out loud book. I am looking into getting another one of her books. and I agree, I think I need to stick with the number books with evanovich.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:09 AM   #53  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

I'm reading....Circus of the Damned by Laurell K. Hamilton.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:21 AM   #54  
Booty-Tron

S/C/G: 165/131/130

Height: 5'4"

i'm almost done with "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. It's about Dracula... but not really in a vampiry way. it's fantastically-written historical fiction with a fantasy/sci-fi/horror twist. and that's not even doing it justice.

it takes a while to build, but once you are engrossed in the story, the pages fly by! it makes me proud to be the granddaughter of a Hungarian/Romanian woman named Helen (as there is just such a woman in the story).
painted lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:25 AM   #55  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Twilight series - I have been reading it over and over again for the past 5 months....LOVE IT!!!!

But I am also reading a biography about Cleopatra - to help keep my brain cells active
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:11 AM   #56  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

BornToFly...on the E channel, here it is on at 10 p.m...she kills me!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 270.6/161.0/150

Height: 5'8"

Oooo I just found this "what are you reading thread" Yay!

I just finished Tuesdays with Morrie a few weeks ago and really enjoyd it. I also just finished The Prairie Bridesmaid and am now reading Three Cups of Tea.

I am in a monthly book club and the next one on the list is Wesley the Owl.
momof5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 210/179/145

Height: 5'6

Smile

I'm in part 2 of The Divine Comedy, Purgatorio, by Dante Alighieri.

Also reading Human, All Too Human by Friedrich Nietzsche.

Working with teenagers day in and day out leaves me craving intelligent conversation or at least some deep reading.

Has anyone read any Henry Miller pieces? I'm considering picking up a couple of his books after I finish these two.
Sweetsiren12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Glory, I didn't care for I Am Charlotte Simmons. It was one of those really long books that I finished and then wanted my time back!

Since I last signed on, I finished Testimony by Anne Shreve, which I liked a lot, though not as much as some of her others. I also read Just One Look by Harlan Coben and thought it was just ok. I usually don't read that kind of book but I was looking for something like that and hoped to really like it. It kept my attention but I thought the end was kind of lame, and I didn't particularly care for his writing style. I may read one more by him eventually.

I also read The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde and am currently reading his Lost in a Good Book. These are from the Thursday Next series, and I think it's a lot of fun. It really is like Harry Potter for adults (though I like HP anyway and think it's for adults too!)

I also tried reading the first in the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series, and I HATED it. I gave it a chance and read 75 pages, but I just couldn't get into it at all. Not a fan. Sucks, too, because I was hoping to find a new vampire series and I've heard good things about this one.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #60  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted lady View Post
i'm almost done with "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. It's about Dracula... but not really in a vampiry way. it's fantastically-written historical fiction with a fantasy/sci-fi/horror twist. and that's not even doing it justice.

it takes a while to build, but once you are engrossed in the story, the pages fly by! it makes me proud to be the granddaughter of a Hungarian/Romanian woman named Helen (as there is just such a woman in the story).
I thought that book was really really boring. I almost finished the book and was so bored, I couldn't go on anymore. (But I did read the end, lol)
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote