3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Ot - Iud? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/169124-ot-iud.html)

GradPhase 04-13-2009 01:41 PM

Ot - Iud?

Hi women chicks!

I'm getting ready to re-start the SBD after going back on, and off of Depo-Provera. Depo made me gain weight like CRAZY this round and I have had really bad luck with birth control pills in the past with having VERY sensitive reactions to the estrogen - so I'm wondering what information I can get from women who've had an IUD, personal pros and cons, Mirena vs Paragard, and especially from women who haven't had children before getting the IUD. Any info, even about other BC options, is GOOD info!

Thanks Chickies :)

nelie 04-13-2009 03:13 PM

I've been thinking about getting an IUD as well and will be ask about it during my yearly check up in a few months. I'd like to go completely hormone free if possible. I have fears:

1) I have PCOS and started the pill for PCOS reasons but I've lost a lot of weight since then
2) Efficacy - if the pill is more effective, I might just stay with that.

mayness 04-13-2009 03:51 PM

I've got the paraguard IUD and love it!

I was on BC pills as a teenager, then switched to Depo-provera, which I was on for 3-4 years. Only after quitting it did I realize it was messing with my body -- I was ALWAYS tired, no matter how much I slept, and got sick more easily.

Paraguard does give some women heavier and more painful periods -- I had been either pregnant or on HBC since I was 15, so I barely remembered what my periods were like naturally, but I knew I had never had cramps. Now I get 2 or 3 days of moderately painful cramps, although that could just be because I'm older, and my periods are no heavier or longer than they were on BCP. Mirena, on the other hand, leads to shorter and lighter periods, or for some women, no periods at all. I thought about that one, but wanted to go completely hormone-free.

In my case, all I had to pay was a $20 copay for 10 years of protection that is more effective than any pill/shot/patch/ring. Even if I had to pay full price (I think it was $400 back when I got it) it would have been worth every penny, especially since I know I'll be getting the full 10 years out of it. (Mirena lasts 5 years, or at least that's what it was last time I heard.)

Some doctors refuse to insert an IUD for women who haven't given birth, because that raises the risk of expulsion (although it's still pretty low). So make sure to ask your doctor, and start seeking out someone else to do it if necessary.

Another thing to look into may be that Nuvaring... it's hormonal, but it's a pretty low dose since the hormones are mostly working locally... I know some women with hormone sensitivities have good luck on that one. Of course, that's twice a month you have to remember to deal with it, as opposed to once every 5 or 10 years. :)

Feel free to ask me any specific questions, here or by PM... all in all I think it was the best possible choice for me, and when this one "expires" I'll strongly consider getting another! I like that it's not permanent... we're 99% sure we don't want any biological children, but it can't hurt to keep the option open for the next 15 years or so.

GradPhase 04-14-2009 01:53 AM

Ohhh, great information!

Yeah - I would LOVE being able to go hormone free, and I would LOVE to not get pregnant any time soon... Lol :) I've heard a lot of good things about the Nuva Ring as well - but at this point, I'm really exhausted with hormonal birth control. I feel sluggish and awful on depo, and I had insane, intense morning sickness or all-day-on-the-bathroom-floor sickness when I tried the MANY pills I've tried. (I've been told this means I'm going to know immediately when I DO get pregnant and it'll probably be pretty vicious morning sickness, too)

I'd definitely like go to the Paragard route if I can - did they do any tests for copper allergies before you got it? (I'm not sure if there even IS a test). How long did it take in your doctors office to have it inserted? I am still worried I won't be able to find a doctor willing to cooperate with me since I haven't been pregnant before - and I don't have insurance to be picky with my health care provider. (I DO have insurance, but it is AWFUL insurance - and it is way easier to just NOT use it, than to use it and fight with them so far.. maybe this will magically improve within the next six months). I've been told Planned Parenthood has them too?

Thanks for all the brilliant info! Any one else, please chime in!

mayness 04-14-2009 12:35 PM

They didn't do any tests for copper allergies... I'm sure if you had a history of sensitivities to metals they would, and maybe some doctors do them anyway.

The insertion itself took 10-15 minutes... basically, they do a quick manual exam to get an idea of the position of your uterus, apply some antiseptic around your cervix to prevent infection, insert one instrument to measure the length/angle of your uterus (this is called "sounding"), then insert the IUD using another little device, as they pull that device out the IUD "arms" unfold to hold it in place, the doctor trims the strings, and that's that. I had sharp pain during the sounding and insertion, but afterward I just had a little moderate cramping, and was back to normal the next day.

Speaking of those strings, sometimes if they're not trimmed far enough they'll poke your partner in an uncomfortable way :o and you'll need to go back in and have them trimmed a little more. I was fine, but I've talked to other people who had that problem. It's less likely with Paraguard since the strings are softer than the Mirena strings. Of course, you still want them long enough to be able to check them yourself without a problem, so you can verify that it's in the right position.

I've also heard that Planned Parenthood has them, and that might be more affordable.

wendyland 04-14-2009 01:18 PM

I have a mirena. I don't have many negatives about it. It made my periods much lighter, but they last a little longer. I sometimes spot for almost 2 weeks. I've had it a little over a year. It does have low dose hormones, but I haven't seen any changes because of them. It's so nice not having to worry about BC for 5 years. I'm hoping that my husband will be ready to get snipped by the time I get it out.

GradPhase 04-15-2009 10:08 AM

Great info, again. Lots of food for thought!

I'm so torn - I love the idea of going hormone free, but I'm pretty worried about the copper (I'm allergic to everything but air it seems!). Mirena would sound perfect, but I really don't want to lose my period again - it's another one of the HUGE downsides to Depo for me. Oh man! Thanks so much for your replies and information ladies! If anyone else has experience in this department, I would LOVE to hear about it!