General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

WaterRat - Well, I have a Sony Reader - specifically, the PRS-505. I actually work for Sony*, so my employee discount was one of the deciding factors for buying the Reader - it was much much more affordable than the Kindle.

Things I LOVE about the Reader - it's a lovely design, much prettier than Kindle 1 (although Kindle 2 is better looking than its predecessor). It holds about 160 books. It plays MP3s, so when I'm traveling I can read and listen to books in one device. It uses eInk technology (so does the Kindle) so it's like paper - it won't make your eyes tired like a computer screen. Of course, it's also not "lit" so you can't read it in the dark. Because of the eInk technology, the battery lasts a really long time since it doesn't take any battery power to display a page, only to turn it. I use my Reader mainly for travel, it's so handy to carry multiple books in one small device, rather than a stack of library books.

Things I don't like about the PRS-505 - There is a slight flicker when you turn the page. Since the Reader is only one page, you turn the page a LOT. The flicker bothers me for the first 5 minutes, then I don't notice it anymore. The page forward button is slightly awkward, I think it should be bigger. The next iteration of the Reader - the PRS-700 solves this problem with touch screen technology, you just flick the page to turn it (which is cool, but it wasn't available when I was shopping!). The Reader also doesn't have the Kindle's whispernet connection, so you have to download books to your PC and then transfer them to the Reader (no downloading books from amazon.com on the fly while waiting at the airport, for example). While the Reader can handle a variety of formats (PDF, Word docs, BBeB, ePub) it isn't compatible with amazon.com ebooks and Sony's bookstore has a smaller selection. The PRS-700 adds some other neat features besides touchscreen - virtual keyboard (ability to search, make notes), built-in LED lights (which use a lot of battery power!) and it doubles the storage capacity (up to 320 ebooks).

Other factors:

Cost of ebooks - this is the real limit for me. I simply can not afford my book habit, which is why I use the library almost exclusively and why I only use the Reader when traveling. eBooks are cheaper than real books, but not significantly (I realize that publishers and authors need to be paid for their work, whether a book is paper or digital). Also, you can't easily trade or sell a digital book when you're done.

Book selection - I had wanted to load my Reader up with some of my "go-to" favorites, so no matter where I was I had a some tried-and-true re-readables (Shogun, Lonesome Dove, etc). I was very surprised what wasn't available! Most current stuff is available, but I guess they are slowly digitizing the "classics."

Allinell - I loaded up some of my favorites - Mists of Avalon, Pillars of the Earth and Outlander

*I actually write training materials for Sony products, and have written modules for both the PRS-505 and the PRS-700 so I'm not some weirdo freak who memorizes tons of arcane product facts!!

Last edited by Glory87; 02-19-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #62  
Domestic Engineer

I've been readinglike crazy this past week-kids are out of school and my internet has been down.

Certain Girls, Ahab's Wife and The Princess Academy just in the past 5-6 days, lol. Today I am picking up Revolutionary Road and Girl with the Dragon Tatoo (?) from the library.
jelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Slap a post it over the title
And that wide Post-it correction tape to go over the naughty word on the spine. Good idea

Last edited by ANOther; 02-19-2009 at 01:30 PM.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #64  
Where'd my 23yo body go?

Height: 5'3"

LOL... Last week I finished the Twilight series. I wanted to see what the hubbub was. It was a quick silly read, and I can see why it's popular with teens, but I can't figure out why the ladies on my mommy board were so in love with these books.

I just started White Oleander. I'm only a few chapters in, but so far I find it interesting.
daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #65  
mtiger

S/C/G: 251.5/177/145

Height: 5'4"

Wink

Glory- I tried to PM you but your box is full. I hope you come back here. You seem to be a frequent visitor. Back in March, I read an article in Woman's Day about your weight loss. I cut it out and it has hung on my fridge ever since. Then a few months ago my friend forwarded your 3FC success story to me. I thought, hey I recognize her, she's on my fridge. I've been trying to locate you since then. I just stumbled onto this thread tonight and clicked on your progress pics.

Just wanted you to know, you have secretly been an inspiration to me since March. Thank You!! I keep reminding myself that it took you 3 years. That helps when I am feeling frustrated. Just thought I would share that story with you. Thanks again!!
mtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #66  

I'm reading "Outliers - The Story of Success" by Malcom Gladwell. He is the one who wrote "Blink" and "The Tipping Point". "Outliers" blows away everything you ever believed about who achieves success and how. It's one of the most interesting books I have read in a long time. Highly recommended.
laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:39 PM   #67  

I am reading David Baldacchi's Stone Cold, which is the third in a series. I love mysteries and listen to audio books of them. I listen to about one a week at night with my portable CD player and ear buds. Love it. One of the highlights of my life for sure when I get a good book on tape.
grabec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:00 AM   #68  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

how'd i miss that? good idea on the post it notes and post it tape.

apparently a girl at work got a stern talking to for reading that book "skinny b*tch" and was told to take it home and not bring it back. i wonder what they'd say about this one- maybe they'd fire me!! (hey a girl can fantasize lol)
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I've started Black Olives.

So far, it's kinda slow, I hope it picks up soon...
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
Borntofly...I love the Kristin Billerbeck books! The Spa series are good too! I was hoping for more!
I haven't posted here in ages, of course I've not been getting much reading done either. My last few reads were...Cross Country by James Patterson...big fan of the guy, The Innocent Man by John Grisham, Under The Bridge by Rebecca Godfrey, very sad.

I am currently reading Love Walked In by Marisa De Los Santos...not so thrilled with it, but it's okay and I will finish it.
thanks for the tip! I will check out some more of her stuff for sure
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #71  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

Chicken Soup for Woman!
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiger View Post
Glory- I tried to PM you but your box is full. I hope you come back here. You seem to be a frequent visitor. Back in March, I read an article in Woman's Day about your weight loss. I cut it out and it has hung on my fridge ever since. Then a few months ago my friend forwarded your 3FC success story to me. I thought, hey I recognize her, she's on my fridge. I've been trying to locate you since then. I just stumbled onto this thread tonight and clicked on your progress pics.

Just wanted you to know, you have secretly been an inspiration to me since March. Thank You!! I keep reminding myself that it took you 3 years. That helps when I am feeling frustrated. Just thought I would share that story with you. Thanks again!!
Hi Sorry about my PM box, I didn't realize it had gotten full! I'm so glad you liked the article, the author is also a 3FatChick poster (and was also in the story)! MileHiMama is her posting name. Here is the original thread when the article came out! http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134690

Thanks so much for the kind words, it still seems a little odd to be inspirational - odd, but nice, of course! I'm still plugging away, trying to lose 3 lbs to get back to my goal weight but about to celebrate my 4th year of maintenance

As far as books, I just finished Georgiana - Duchess of Devonshire (what the movie The Duchess was based on) and loved it! There were a LOT of characters and a lot of politics, so I found some of that pretty dense. She was a fascinating woman in a fascinating relationship, so I would definitely recommend.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #73  

I'm not much of a reader, but I've had the itch lately to start!

I'm planning on going to the library on Monday & picking up a book I read in high school, that I remember liking, called The Diary of Ann Frank.
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:53 AM   #74  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I just finished Ice Trap by Kitty Sewell and am going to start Her Last Death by Susanna Sonnenberg. I have to finish this one in 2-3 days because I get my Kindle on Wednesday and I have a list of what I want to download onto it!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/155

Height: 5'5

I just finished Half Assed by Jennette Fulda... she lost 200 pounds and is extremely entertaining. I really enjoyed her book.

The new book in the Outlander series is already up for pre-order on Amazon. I am so excited. I can't wait to reread all the books.

Right now I'm reading Thin is the New Happy- Frankel... I'm on this weight loss memoir kick apparently.
claire fraser is offline   Reply With Quote