General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Default Grocery Bags

With an eye toward the state of our landfills, more and more grocery stores in Ontario are contemplating charging 5 cents for plastic bags. Some already do. This has been on the news a lot lately.
My clerk wasn't busy this morning so I asked her about reusable bags. She says that a lot of folks have them but very often, forget to bring them.
How are you doing?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

I use them every time I go (I keep a few in my work bag, in case there's an emergency trip.)

The only times I don't take them is when we need bags to put trash in, then I ask for paper.

ETA: I hate all the rude glares from other customers that I get when I take them, though. They think it means that they'll be in line longer because it takes longer to bag, but it doesn't. My bags hold up to 30 lbs. easily, so fewer bags to fill means less time between bags fiddling with getting another bag. Plus, I usually don't move up to a register line until the bags are open, unfolded and ready to be filled.

Last edited by Kim_Star060404; 01-19-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:49 AM   #3  
it's always something

I don't always remember them, but do try. I think charging for bags is a great idea. We have one store that actually donates a nickle to charity for each bag you bring of your own.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #4  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

I like the donation idea! I keep mine in the van. When I finish unpacking I send a kid back out with them to the van for the next trip. A few weeks ago hubby brought the emptys in thinking he was helping. Of course I forgot them...so I used the boxes that Food Basics have available for packing. Then the kids kept them, coloured them, and I had a 1 race car, 1 spaceship and a cat play box in the living room for a week!
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #5  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I always remember mine. They are on a hook right next to my door, so its hard to forget them. Once you use them often, you get used to it and forget them less and less. I've been using re-usable bags now for almost 3 years.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #6  

I don't mind boxes (if I have the car) I use them as a base to build garden beds over.

I always take my black bag when I go to run errands. I throw my wallet and keys in the bottom so I can get the mail and anything I buy, just goes in the bag. Remembering to take them in the car is another story.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #7  
Maintanier to the MAX

S/C/G: Maintainer

I have a bunch, keep some in the back of the truck and some inside. Our stores give you a 5-cent credit per bag you reuse. A yay for the economy now adays.
PearFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I can't remember how long its been since I've actually thrown away or even recycled a plastic grocery bag. We use plastic grocery bags a bit because well we have 2 dogs. We also use paper grocery bags as well.

I do forget my reusable bags sometimes but not often.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #9  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I use my own bags quite a bit. There has been noise coming out of San Francisco about charging for grocery bags. I think that idea is total crap. They are talking about it for grocery stores not Macy's and other stores who have big bags not those little plastic ones. Those are out in the streets as well. It is not just grocery bags littering the streets.

Some grocery stores give 5-cents others 3-cents and some 0. I still use my own whenever possible.

What are they going to do if they need to put something like a meat tray in one? Charge you for it? Can you refuse?

I've told many ladies to put their purse in one when they get into the car. They won't forget their puse, therefore will remember a bag.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I use my reusable bags about 90% of the time. I keep them in my car, so there really is no excuse, but when I'm running in to buy only 1 or 2 items, I often forget to grab them and stick them in my purse. There are those other times, though, when I buy far too much for my six bags and then I have to use mine plus a few from the store.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #11  

Another problem is that my reusable bags grow legs and walk. I should have about a dozen but can only find 5!
Old 01-19-2009, 01:18 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
What are they going to do if they need to put something like a meat tray in one? Charge you for it? Can you refuse?
Well you are basically buying a bag, you can not buy a bag if you want. In many countries, bags aren't part of the shopping experience and you are expected to bring your own. I know I go to Costco and I don't get a bag which isn't a problem.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #13  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

i have them and sometimes i do forget to use them. a lot actually and then i feel guilty. :C we have Market of Choice where I live and at first they made "plastic" bags that were made out of recycled and biodegradable materials but they just completely stopped. Now your only choice there is a paper bag. I think Trader Joes is that way too.
We never use a box or a bag when we go to Costco.
I think for me it's just a matter of getting the habit of doing it- I try to keep them in the car to help remind me.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #14  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

I keep plenty in my car at all times so no matter when I go, I will remember them!
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:40 PM   #15  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Costco has FABULOUS giant re-useables. I bring those when I go there...they're really good for hefting the crazy large costco packages of things.

I have a big collection. Usually I walk to the grocery store with two bags, and they make it a LOT easier to bring my groceries home (instead of a bag in each hand, I get one over each shoulder...much easier)
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote