General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default That plane crash is really amazing

The pilot lives near the SF Bay Area. I'm sure his family, while extremely proud of him and glad he's alive, would love it if the media would leave them alone.

I just think that this event is incredible. Every single solitary person is safe. I'm proud of the ferry pilots for getting there as soon as possible and not waiting for some sort of governmental approval.

The pilot is also a licensed hang glider so I'm sure some of that training came in handy.

When do you think the made for TV movie will be?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #2  
Dreams of a RED DRESS...

S/C/G: 305/293.7/165

Height: 5 foot 6

What plane crash are you talking about? (Don't have cable)
Arthwen1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

A plane lost both engines on takeoff coming out of LaGuardia...they think it was a double bird strike. Anyway, the pilot turned the plane around (WITH NO POWER, BECAUSE HE HAD NO ENGINES) and glided the plane down to a landing in the Hudson River that was so smooth that the plane remained completely intact. No damage to the body of the plane. The passengers were evacuated to the wings of the plane, and quickly picked up by passenger/commuter ferries that cross the Hudson. The worst injury was a broken leg.

The pilot basically had to land EXACTLY perfectly...not a single smidge of wobble room...for this to happen. On water. With no power. Oh, and he had almost no elevation when the engines blew, so he had to do all of this with about 3 minutes warning.

Witnesses said that the landing looked "totally perfect, aside from the splash". Just an amazing feat of airmanship. Not to mention that if he hadn't directed the plane into the river, it would have hit populated areas, possibly in Manhattan or in New Jersey.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Fantastic. Yaaaaay. Outtasight.

A thought: Other than once changing planes @ JFK on the way back from Europe, I've never been to New York so wouldn't know much about how many skyscrapers there are near midtown Manhattan (which judging from the maps looks to be where the plane touched down); but if somebody was on the 42nd floor of a skyscraper, looked out the window and saw a jet coming down the Hudson at practically their eye level, wouldn't the first thought that pops into their head be OMG, 09.11!?

Last edited by ANOther; 01-16-2009 at 04:16 PM.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Um, yes. Multiple interviews with witnesses confirmed that that was the first thought in their heads. But thankfully this was a MUCH better outcome.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

Yes. 9 11. It had to be an incredible feeling being on the water and seeing this big silver bird approaching. That would definitely be a case for speeding up and forget the wake. GET OUT OF THE WAY!

Manda, you did a great job describing it.

Arth, you can read all about it on the web. It's all over the place.

Here's one.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28683246/?GT1=43001
Old 01-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #7  

You make me laugh! (just cuz I thought the same exact thing on the Movie of the week). I DO agree with you tho, that pilot really pulled it off in a deadly situation!! I'm very happy it went so well!! The people on that river should be very proud of of themselves for acting so quickly!!
baileycleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #8  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I'm sure it'll be on Mayday within the next few months.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayday_(TV_series)

Last edited by tamaralynn; 01-16-2009 at 07:09 PM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:38 PM   #9  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

For sure. I love Mayday, it is one of my favorite shows...however, I objected to it being shown where I work (an airport!), where they used to have Discovery Channel on around the clock, nobody but airport management were able to change the channel. Imagine being afraid of flying, and seeing a show about plane crashes minutes before you were to get on a plane!
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:11 AM   #10  
I wanna be a loser, too

I'm one of those intrepid flyers. I don't need to see plane crash movies before I fly.

My mom got upset with me when I went back to visit her. She had a plane disaster movie on the night before I was supposed to fly. I wouldn't watch it. She knew how I felt about flying. My sister set her straight.

George Kennedy used to be in all the plane disaster movies back in the 70s. I made Linc, my now late husband, promise me that he'd walk off the plane with me if we ever boarded one and George was on that same flight.

I've never watched May Day.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ookpik View Post
For sure. I love Mayday, it is one of my favorite shows...however, I objected to it being shown where I work (an airport!), where they used to have Discovery Channel on around the clock, nobody but airport management were able to change the channel. Imagine being afraid of flying, and seeing a show about plane crashes minutes before you were to get on a plane!
That is just nuts!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #12  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
That is just nuts!
Oh, I agree! Co-workers have spoken to management on behalf of passengers, but now they've finally changed the channel, after many months. I know if I had to face something I was apprehensive (sp?) about, such as surgery, for example, I wouldn't want to watch "When Surgeries Go Wrong!", or something like that, before.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote